Eliminate Gas Cap to Body Contact During Refueling

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I always hated the way my gas cap banged the body on my '04 during refueling. It has been filled many times in the 32,800 miles I have driven it.

Putting a small 3M wall hanging hook on the fuel door provides an easily removable solution to hold the cap away from the body during refueling. The tether is looped onto the hook during refueling.

I am away from my home base so I don't have a picture handy, but the thread about the '08's missing the cap tether prompted me to post....

On '08s you might be able to use a pair of hooks to hold the cap during refueling on the fuel door (one on the door and one on the cap).

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should have a ittle hook on your gas door. My 05 has a very small channel, it is for the gas cap teather. It never touches the body.

OP
OP
S

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should have a ittle hook on your gas door. My 05 has a very small channel, it is for the gas cap teather. It never touches the body.

I looked and never found any such thing on my '04....

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mine had one too. I did catch it when it fell off so i presume many fall off without noticing. I just used some double-sided tape to hold it in place again. Thats all it is is a small platic hook.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No tether here on my 06 either. Don't see the need for one. How does one forget to put the cap back on anyway. I have never done that........on any car. Not to say I haven't done other stupid things though.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess for us OCDer's, we have to have everything right on the car, and the "no touchie on the paint thing' haunts us. My simple solution was to have an old sock under the drivers seat, and when I get gas, I just slip the toe of the sock over the gas cap and let it hang. Costs me NOTHING, and doesn't change anything on the car. I just can't put a "hook" inside the gas cap......seems just a little cheezie to me, but I do understand that it saves the paint. Just one of the other OCD things for me, can't say that it's the same for everyone else.

OP
OP
S

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PICTURES:

Note there is NO place to loop the cap tether from the factory. I bought this 3M removable hook (8 or 10 of them!) for only a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart....

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PICTURES:

Note there is NO place to loop the cap tether from the factory. I bought this 3M removable hook (8 or 10 of them!) for only a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart....

BTW, I KNOW the car is dirty. It was driven in the rain to work before I took off on vacation and I just got back a few hours ago and haven't had time to wash it yet!!!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***? My gen 2 doesn't have a tether. I remove the cap and set it on the pump. Just cut off or pull off and throw away the stupid tether. GTS Bruce

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2008 factory gas cap clip...

(didn't realize it was there before this thread)

Last edited:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PICTURES:

BTW, I KNOW the car is dirty. It was driven in the rain to work before I took off on vacation and I just got back a few hours ago and haven't had time to wash it yet!!!

The way this car looks, it shouldn't matter if the gas cap scrapes the paint or not.

OP
OP
S

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The way this car looks, it shouldn't matter if the gas cap scrapes the paint or not.

I guess you have time to wash your car every time you drive it to work and it rains.

We've had a LOT of rain here (Cedar Falls, IA; made CNN and national news) with major flooding, so I wasn't able to wash it sooner.

It IS washed as of today.

I was asked to post a picture and I did as soon as I could.

I am in the snow (salted roads) belt and drive my car over 10,000 miles annually despite having only 8 or 9 months a year to enjoy my car.

I drive when possible and wash when able.....

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess you have time to wash your car every time you drive it to work and it rains.

We've had a LOT of rain here (Cedar Falls, IA; made CNN and national news) with major flooding, so I wasn't able to wash it sooner.

It IS washed as of today.

I was asked to post a picture and I did as soon as I could.

I am in the snow (salted roads) belt and drive my car over 10,000 miles annually despite having only 8 or 9 months a year to enjoy my car.

I drive when possible and wash when able.....

Don't take it so hard. We old heads sometimes like to apply a little 'abusive humor' in our posts - but its all for fun. :2tu:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 factory gas cap clip...

(didn't realize it was there before this thread)

Interesting; my 2008 vert does not have a tether for the gas cap at all. It just detaches leaving it far easier to lose the cap entirely.

/Rich

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess for us OCDer's, we have to have everything right on the car, and the "no touchie on the paint thing' haunts us. My simple solution was to have an old sock under the drivers seat, and when I get gas, I just slip the toe of the sock over the gas cap and let it hang. Costs me NOTHING, and doesn't change anything on the car. I just can't put a "hook" inside the gas cap......seems just a little cheezie to me, but I do understand that it saves the paint. Just one of the other OCD things for me, can't say that it's the same for everyone else.

I'm still laughing at how someone that keeps an 'old sock' under their seat and actually pulls it out when they get gas to put it over the gas cap at the station thinks a small hook that sticks to the inside of the fuel door is "cheezie"...:rolaugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc