Engine clicking

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went out yesterday to go buy an srt that I really like. When I drove it, there was a fair amount of engine ticking. It made me kind of leary and I didn't buy it. I'm just wondering if that is normal or what??? I really like the car and do want it but not if there is something really wrong with it. someone please give me some advice. The car is totally stock with 2XXX mi.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you are hearing is most likely injector noise and valve train, if it is, this is normal and nothing to worry about. If you are unsure, have someone from the board that is close by look at the car with you.

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you are hearing is most likely injector noise and valve train, if it is, this is normal and nothing to worry about. If you are unsure, have someone from the board that is close by look at the car with you.

I agree.

I thought the same thing when I test drove mine. The injectors are very loud.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clicking under the hood is normal for these cars. Usually gets louder as the car gets hotter. Had this both my '04 and '05.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very normal..........these engines are bullit proof.....

.........just change the exhaust get high flow cats and I guarantee you won;t hear a thing................ :2tu: :headbang: ;)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is an 06, absolutely do not change the viscosity to 15-50

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone is quite correct here as the noise is not from the valve lifters but are from the injectors. Oil viscosity will not quite the noise down but a louder exhaust will!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it ill-advised to run 15w-50 oil in an 06? Is there anyway to quiet down the clicking noise or is it something to live with?

Flash

Install a hi flow exhaust system. this is a hi performance sports car and not a caddy. Vipers make noise. If the ticking is bothersome then perhaps you should have bought a vette. This is JMO and I am not flaming you in any way. :2tu:

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK.. May I know the reason not to use 15w-50 on my 06, please?

Thanks,

Flash

It all depends on the operating temperatures your engine will be experiencing. If your SRT-10 is stock or close to stock, go with the Mobil 1 0W-40 no matter what year it is. If you have a Paxton, TT or uber N/A SRT-10 with heads & cam, you may want to use 15W-50 which is thicker than 0W-40 but resists better to high temperatures.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I have to disagree with you here. If anything, the 05-06 cars could benefit MORE from 15W-50 than the 03-04 cars due to their increased oil system demand from the 180 degree main bearings...couple that with hot temps from tracking the car, and you really should use 15W-50 in those engines- the Comp Coupes do as well.

There is not much problem with running 15W-50 in cooler temps in any SRT-10's, as the heat exchanger (oil cooler) does not let the oil drop below coolant temp when driving, even at low RPM's in high gears. The only possible problem would be flow at start-up, but unless your driving around in single digit temps... I wouldnt worry to much about it.

PS- 15W-50 will certainly quiet the engine down as well.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with FinalGTS. The valve train noise is similar to a bleed down lifter ( Rhoads Lifters ). IMO

Jim

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Most, except one, were extremely informative and useful. Why is it when we discuss certain aspects of our Vipers must someone always say "you should have bought a XXXX if you dont like it." Vipers are far from perfect cars and I dont see a problem if we discuss and attempt to mitigate the car's faults (Loud clicking engine, piping hot door sills, etc).

PS Im going to try 15w-50 in my car at the next oil change cause I do believe this engine would benefit from a thicker oil. :)

Thanks again,

Flash

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have to disagree with you here. If anything, the 05-06 cars could benefit MORE from 15W-50 than the 03-04 cars due to their increased oil system demand from the 180 degree main bearings...couple that with hot temps from tracking the car, and you really should use 15W-50 in those engines- the Comp Coupes do as well.

There is not much problem with running 15W-50 in cooler temps in any SRT-10's, as the heat exchanger (oil cooler) does not let the oil drop below coolant temp when driving, even at low RPM's in high gears. The only possible problem would be flow at start-up, but unless your driving around in single digit temps... I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Point taken and I understand your logic :eek: , but what is he going to do when he changes the oil viscosity and finds out what he is hearing is injector noise ;)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Point taken and I understand your logic :eek: , but what is he going to do when he changes the oil viscosity and finds out what he is hearing is injector noise ;)

The injectors in these cars are really not all that loud. there should be faint clicking from the injectors, but it you have a louder click that is either limited to one area, changes pitch with engine oil temp, or appears to move around the engine slowly... you are hearing the lifters 9 times out of 10. I have yet to see a Viper engine without any type of lifter noise... other than those without OEM lifters.

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the injectors.

Try this while you are listengin to it.

Open hood, Place injector between thumb and finger, note the "feel" of the injectors (Yes, you can feel it firing), it will match the sound you are hearing.

I could actually do this and the sound would change slightly once you put a little preasure on the injector (muffled the soud).

Try this on each injector. I bet you can find some that are louder then others also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang