Engine details - two bolt main?

DroolSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I was watching the "DNA" video again and had a question about the motor. From the shots it looks as if the main caps are two bolt? Am I missing something? The design is like nothing I've seen before. (Ford/Chevy guy)

Does anyone have a link or info on the in depth details of the motor?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, you don't have to start a new thread for every question.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I was watching the "DNA" video again and had a question about the motor. From the shots it looks as if the main caps are two bolt? Am I missing something? The design is like nothing I've seen before. (Ford/Chevy guy)

Does anyone have a link or info on the in depth details of the motor?

Yes your definitely missing something, the bottom end has bolts in the same configuration as an old school small or big block Chevy. The difference is that the cap fits inset in the block and is side bolted through the block. Far stronger than weak system that old Fords and Chevys had. The newer LS based Chevys use a similar set up. I want to say the old Hemis used a cross bolted block as well.

OP
OP
D

DroolSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes your definitely missing something, the bottom end has bolts in the same configuration as an old school small or big block Chevy. The difference is that the cap fits inset in the block and is side bolted through the block. Far stronger than weak system that old Fords and Chevys had. The newer LS based Chevys use a similar set up. I want to say the old Hemis used a cross bolted block as well.

Awesome. It almost looked like one piece with the block but I knew that wasn't possible. Very cool design.
Thanks for the input.

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice photos, thank you, now I don't have to take my engine apart to see what's inside, LOL.

Frank

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The new gen Hemis are set up with the cross bolted mains as well. Rebuilt an 06 for my 67 Dart and got to see them first hand. Pretty stout setup for sure.