Engine light came on

nodoor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just started the 2006 coupe for the second time this year. Engine light came on. I had it out for 30 miles or so last weekend. No issues.

So - what now? I am assuming I need to go to parts store and buy something, hook it up to car to get a code and post the code here. Any help appreciated. Thanks

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a 2006 the digital display on your dash that shows the Odometer - you click over the ignition key on and off 5 times (I think) in a row and then the display will show you a code. I believe there is a thread on this site that tells you what all the codes are.

I will bet a small sum that it will read a code 420

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did the same after connecting battery back up for the season. Connected a few times previously to start the car with no light showing. Had something to do with computer resetting itself !!

OP
OP
N

nodoor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I went out yeaterday and tried the ignition thing. I did it a couple times and it displayed a P0132. So, this ignition test does work but I actually couldnt get it to do it a second time. Not sure why.

So, I drove up to autozone to get a new battery and to have them run a test. On the way I noticed the engine light was now off. They looked up the code and it was an 02 upstream sensor. $59.99 part.

I didnt do anything with it and headed home with my new battery and no engine light on. I'll do some research here on it but any thoughts on this P0132 - 02 upstream sensor? Thanks

Reaction score
Could be a bad sensor or could be a code that will not come back. The computer will turn off the CEL if the condition does not return after a few run cycles, wait to see if it comes back before attacking the 02.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nodoor - I'm not a mechanic but I'll give you some advice that may or may not help. There are many instances of 2006's developing a crack in the header manifold which results in your catalytics failing. Many guys on here have had this problem with their cats plugging up. This will set off codes for your emmisions - including your o2 sensors. Apparently just replacing your cats will not solve the problem long term because the comprimised headers will result in another cat failure and waste of good money. I suggest you look at the cats and also see if there is a exhaust leak or crack at the headers. You may not be able to see the crack if it is small and hidden under a tube - so you may want a professional inspection. My intuition in saying it would show a code 0420 was almost on mark. A 0420 is for the downstream sensor, where your code was for the upstream sensor. Pretty close in my opinion. Also - have you noticed your center console where the shifter is, especially the shifter bezel ring, is unusually hotter than normal? This could help confirm a leak in the headers as well.

OP
OP
N

nodoor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I certainly dont feel confident that it has probably gone away for good. I am not noticing any issues with the heat in the car (even though I'm not putting many miles on it right now) but I will certainly keep an eye on it. I'm going to keep it parked for a bit until I can get a full inspection to make sure I dont have any issues. Thanks everyone. This was helpful for a new owner. Getting the codes read at Autozone, the ignition CEL test, etc. It really does help us new guys. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude