Engine Management

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I bought a Ricer. I admit it. An 06 STi. I call it my Babymobile, as we are going to have a little one in November. Bring on the Flames! It has:
1. a backseat
2. 4 doors
3. top rated safety rating
4. AWD for the snow in Indy, assuming it ever snows here again (global warming)

I changed the STi ECU flash with a stage 1 offering from Cobb. BIG improvement! Added a turbo back exhaust, and changed the ECU flash to stage 2 Cobb. BIG improvement.

So, my question is, what parameters of the Viper are learned vs. embedded in the flash? I've changed exhaust, smooth tubes, etc. in the Viper, but which of these changes are learned by the Viper vs. must have a new ECU flash (or a VEC2) so the ECU can take advantage of these changes?

BTW, does anyone know how to mount an infant seat in a Viper? I've started to design a seat that sits over the spare tire....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no idea but i like the STi's a lot. there are a couple few around here that scared me a little and one im told will take me.

enjoy it

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume the improvements you are seeing are due to the flashes allowing the car to run at a higher psi and this is where your power is coming from. With that said, I may be wrong, I dont have much knowledge of the STi's.

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruser: logical, but the stages are linked to the octane rating of the gasoline. So, Cobb can adjust the ignition timing based upon the known 93 octane fuel. I'm at 278 WHP, and 316 WTQ (Cobb averages, not dyno).

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The adaptave learning in the stock Viper PCM is minimal at best. Mostly it's to stabalize the idle and bring everything in spec for the proper O2 readings. Exhaust/Headers, smooth tubes, and other minor stuff has a very very minimal effect on the pcm what so ever.

To do any real "tuning" you need some sort of piggyback or standalone system.

Note: the earlier cars (96-99) are more tolerant of an agressive cam with out poping an mil light, as well they shouldn't have a fit over removing the cats. The later cars faced tighter restrictions and will throw codes a bit easier. A cam change will likely kick a misfire code on the newer cars, but it's pretty easy to tune around with a little homework.

These cars do not have knock sensors (I hear the 06' does? but haven't confirmed) so they really operate on a set paramater and leave it at that. Truthfully they are VERY conservative from the factory and with a colder thermostat i'm sure they would be happy as a pig in chit on 89 octane fuel.

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, your explanation is pretty much what I was expecting. The thing that surprises me is that engine management seems to be one of the last things done by Viper owners, if at all. My experience with the STi is that the change in the engine management, combined with using a map that matches your fuel, makes a big difference even without any other mods. If all of our common Viper mods make little difference without engine management, it seems we are not really getting much for our money.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all of our common Viper mods make little difference without engine management, it seems we are not really getting much for our money.

Exactly, but you will still get the folks that claim they can feel the Viper pulling harder once they 've installed the K & N's and smooth tubes! :)

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at the size of the opening, in the rubber donut in your K&N's - it has a 2" opening and functions as a nice big restrictor. Get rid of that and then the K&N's will produce a result..... until then its fantasy.

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although 'Purdue Viper', the Viper is normally aspirated stock. Most all Turbo cars can have large horsepower increases from increasing boost with their chips which is almost all from boost increase and very little from timing and such. Whereas normall aspirated cars see little increases. I own a Porsche Turbo as well as a Audi Turbo and have chipped both with multiple brands of chips and all of the chips increase boost as the main item to increase horsepower with small mapping and changes otherwise. No normally aspirated car can achieve the results from a chip swap that a Turbo car can. I'll say that again "No normally aspirated car can achieve the results from a chip swap that a Turbo car can". MGH