Engine not level, lower on passenger side

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm guessing this means a mount or two have gone bad as the rest of the car is perfectly level. Is a tilting engine usually a symptom of bad mounts? I haven't been having any issues shifting.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I would check your mounts.

You can also pull your right side sill cover and check the clearance around the pipe coming through the frame. If it is low in the hole then you can be screwing it up. Unless you have the OE exhaust with the isolators to absorb that movement.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The right side motor mound is in a slot that can be moved up to make it level again...
Done this a few times now when fitting after market exhausts. Because one side hits the top of the frame and the other side hits the bottom where it comes through into the sills...

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, so I might not even need to replace the mounts... although I'll probably leave it for a future project (have way too many Viper projects in the pipeline). Thanks guys.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a chance I would see why your engine is crooked. If it indeed has a problem you might need to juggle your busy Viper list.

I doubt the car left the factory looking that way. Something has happened.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In my LIMITED experience, the right (passenger) side of the engine usually "creeps" UP...to the point that, as Dave noted, the exhaust rides too high in the side-sill...especially with aftermarket header systems. Check your motor mounts SOON.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what its worth, my engine was leaning to the passenger's side maybe 1/4" or so. After I installed my woodhouse everything was nice and plumb (level). My motor mounts were in bad shape. It didn't appear that the original mounts shifted in any way. Who knows, maybe your mounts need some adjusting. The kind folks at CAAP drew a paint line through the motor mount frame bolts and frame. This was a good way to check and see of the mounts did indeed above the paint line would be off. Mine needed replacement. Your results may vary. :)

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's some good info. Mine seems to be leaning about 1/4" as well... I only noticed it when I finally got the hood all the way off and I could see the engine and cowling straight on.

Do the Woodhouse mounts come in a full set for engine and transmission? I've heard them mentioned all over the board, just didn't think I'd need new mounts just yet.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Woodhouse mounts come just for the motor (2), but the trans mount is pretty easily attainable on Summitracing.com.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DavesBigBrakes has the trans mount as well. I can't say for certain that its your mounts or that they need to be replaced. Maybe they need to be adjusted? I have some pics in my engine mount install guide that shows the mounts, mounted to the frame with that line of paint across the bolt. You may be able to peak under there and see if maybe the nuts have loosened or if the mounts have shifted a bit. If you can get a closer look at the mounts you should be able to see if they are cracked, warped, pan-caked. But nobody has stated that having an unlevel engine is bad. Is it? :dunno:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad.

Will create surging due to uneven level in the float chamber leading to jet starvation in the primary venturis if the emulsion tubes are not angled to compensate.

:eater:

OK Dave...that was a well thought out and articulate response. I'll accept it.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quote from Tator about how to level the engine:
"Don't use the cowl to determine this! Get under neath and lay something straigh on the botton of the frame rails, under your motor. The bottom of the oil pan should be paraliel to your straight edge. The Viper motors tend to creep up on the right side! That's from no pin in the stock right motor mount like the left one to hold it in the slot of the frame cradle."

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad.

Will create surging due to uneven level in the float chamber leading to jet starvation in the primary venturis if the emulsion tubes are not angled to compensate.

:eater:
I was with you up to the emulsion tubes. Brought back fond memories of rebuilding carbs back in the 60s.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idont think he' confusing us "old folks". We are most likely to understand what those carburetor parts are. Just like the words; distributor, ignition points, setting the dwell, setting the choke.

Its the "younger kids" that might not understand.;)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought emulsion tubes and a 'Weber' thing had something to do with blenders, sauces and grilles. :dunno:

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's a carburetor? :dunno: Must be a foreign car thing...

Next thing you know we'll be talking about lake pipes, rumble seats, and having to use an actual map to get anywhere... :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery