Engine serial Number

Suregrip391

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Can the engine serial number tell you anything as far as when it was built or year of block or a range of any type when cars were built? Can this number give you anything at all?

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I know of, but the VIN can be decoded for a fair amount of information.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the casting number can be decoded for date of manufacture. If the VIN matches, the door tag can tell you within 2 days of when the motor went in the car.

ninetyninegts

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Found this on my block; I believe this is the date when the engine was built as the car was built in September.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Suregrip391

Suregrip391

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious about the serial number located on the front right of block near the oil pressure sensor.

OP
OP
Suregrip391

Suregrip391

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, that was very helpful. Now I know what date my block was cast on.

im a “numbers” guy because I’m into old Mopars too. I like originality and want to document my car.

I would like to learn as much as possible about date codes, build dates, etc on my car If you can think of anything else.

just an example, on my 70 Challenger the ignition wires have a number of 4-70 which means 4th quarter of 1970. the ignition wires I have that came with my 97 GTS have a number of 4-97 and someone said that meant April of 1997. Do you know if the 4-97 means 4th quarter or April of 1997?

Would love to start a restoration/numbers thread if there are any other “numbers” guys on this site?