Engine Temp ?

jaxviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After reading multiple posts regarding engine temps, I began to wonder if anyone has tried Coolant additives in a Viper,such as Red Line Water Wetter. I use it in my 340 Valiant bracket race car and it dropped summer engine temps about 10 degs.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive seen post were about half ssaid it works and saw drops of 10-20 degrees. Sure some who have used it will chime in.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way to get your engine to run cooler is to get more cool air through the radiator. Dave6666 has a detailed procedure written up on how to install Roe's front fascia cooling duct which forces cool air through the radiator. He also installed an upgraded radiator. I'm installing mine this spring.

I would also add a lower temp thermo stat, 180 degree and program the PCM to turn the fans on sooner. I did this and it makes a noticeable difference.

I would also recommend adding a vented cowl to help get more hot air out of the engine bay. I've done this and I'd say this is good for a 10 degree drop.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water wetter works great; definitely keep the car cool even in traffic when its 100 degrees out.

Rumor was that it interacts in a deleterious manner with plastic components (like certain water pump parts) but I've run it for 4 years and no issues.

If anyone knows the chemistry behind this rumor (or whether its jkust that...a rumor) we'd all benefit from your knowledge.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im pretty sure tator says NO to water wetter...id talk to him before using it personally

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean Roe recommends this mix:

-> Prestone 50/50 ELC
-> (2) Redline WW

Chuck is a lifetime NRA member, so we know he has firearms, but I'd prefer to see them arm wrestle.

BTW, first I've heard anyone say no to WW, and I have the Roe mix in my GTS.

Did all this at once when I replaced what could have been the OE coolant in my '01:

-> RDR aluminum radiator
-> New OE water pump
-> 180 stat
-> Roe hoses
-> New OE sending unit
-> Flush with water and refill with above

Already had the Roe duct in.

I did this last Nov, and have the prior summer's experience with the old parts.

Car definitely responds quicker to cooling after a load, like driving hard.

Also runs cooler while moving under load.

However, sitting in traffic on a 30 deg (F) day, the temp will go to the fan run point of 220 or whatever it is. And cool almost instantly when I start moving again.

Point is, sitting still there is no air moving over your liquid to air exchanger known as a radiator. Until the fan comes on.