Ever get called a Corvette?

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going through a drive through picking up lunch and the guy said "nice Vette." I just said thanks.

Some non-true-Vette-owners give the Vette wave occasionally meaning they don't know it's a Viper.

I had another laugh when my ACR was new. I was filling up at a gas station and the attendant said, "you need new tires." I had to explain to him the car was brand new and the tires weren't slick.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the "vette" wave once in a while in the VOI, but never in the FE . I remember when I had the '01 RT/10 (Saphire/Connolly). I had a friend over the house, and he walked around the car several times just staring in amazement, and finally said "I guarantee you I could convince "anyone" I wanted to that this was a Ferrari!" Actually, he didn't say "anyone", ... something about a certain stereotype from West Virginia, but better left unsaid.

Last edited:

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A large Vette meet was going on in my town when a couple in their Corvette stopped at my home asking for directions. The lady looked at Gen 2 on the lift and asked if it was a Lambo! I guess she was the accessory cupholder !:D

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure the "Vette wave" is always for Corvettes. I often wave, give a thumbs up, or a nod to another car enthusiast with a nice car. I have owned Vettes and have given the wave to many different cars while driving. Sometimes it's just a car guy thing.

But...

A few days after I brought my Viper home, I drove it to a couple different friends houses to show them my new toy. My Camaro buddy comes outside with his wife, and she says, "Is that the new Corvette?" Now understand, she attends indoor shows with her husband and their Camaro quite often. She is someone I considered a "car guy", well no more! I was shocked! Fortunately, her husband jumped in before I could say anything and corrected her. My wife actually started laughing at her.

Non car people I can understand not knowing, but for someone that attends car shows, I am very surprised.

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That would happen to me quite often with a black gen3 I used to have. I would also get the trying to compensate BS from quite a few folks to.

I get that a lot in my black gen 2 acr. I just always shrug my shoulders.

audiowhiz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got that a lot when my badging color matched the red car color.
Now that the car is dressed with stainless steel SRT 10 badging, no more guessing for anyone.;)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would happen to me quite often with a black gen3 I used to have. I would also get the trying to compensate BS from quite a few folks to.

LOL, I think I got the compensate remark a few times but my response has always been:

I am a big ....
I have a big ....
Naturally, I drive a big ....

:D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can honestly say, in the four plus years I have owned my Viper, I have never had anyone mistake it for a Vette and it is a GEN III Coupe. I can also say, I have seen lots of couples come up to my car, or walk around it and the ladies have never mistaken it for a Vette. In fact, the ladies seem to be much more interested and knowledgeable in the Viper, than the fellows. That has been the one surprise as I would not have guessed that specific reaction being the car is so much like a race car and not the most comfortable to drive. My wife also gets a kick out of that. Ha! Ha!

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled up in my SRT Vert at an all Corvette show. I pulled up front to ask the event coordinator a question, and he said I should just park up front cause it's the best Corvette he's seen. So I parked out front for the whole show!

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While at a party, a few of us guys were outside talking cars (or attempting to), then a friend of a friend looked over at the neighbor's red WS6 Firebird (00-ish)....and said "yeah, that's a sweet...umm...Viper over there". I just giggled and said "yeah, it sure is", but another guy corrected him. He was like "whatever, I don't fking know cars...fk you guys!". I had a good laugh.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had another laugh when my ACR was new. I was filling up at a gas station and the attendant said, "you need new tires." I had to explain to him the car was brand new and the tires weren't slick.

I had the same comment several times from people about the tires,ha Hated to waste my breath explaining it to them because I figured they were NOT car guys and they really didn't care anyway...:dunno::) :eater:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have never had my Gen I mistaken for a vette but I have heard people call both my final edition and my SSG with black stripes Gen IV a vette. I can see maybe an all red vert gen III maybe being mistaken for a vette but a final edition and a striped SSG gen IV aren't very vette like. I think that people just think any non ferrari, lambo, or porsche sports car is a vette. The thing is, I'm betting those same people don't flip out, point, and take pictures when they see a vette so I'm wondering where the breakdown in logic happens.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Title says it all. Was filling up my tire's air when some guy in his 40s asked me what kind of car I was driving. I replied back wit "It's a Viper.". Then the guy says "Oh, the front is the same as a Corvette, I thought it was some kind of new Corvette.". Wondering if anyone else has ran across this problem or if this is going to be an isolated incident.

I was asked so many times "what is it?", that I put it on my license plate.

Attachments

• IMG_6545.jpg
    IMG_6545.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 79

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been asked if my acr was a vette about 3 times. I also had 2 people ask how the tires got bald so fast on a new car. :lmao:

When I had a ZR1, it was mistaked for a viper twice. Some people are just clueless. :dunno:

Last edited:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure that has happened to Lauri too:D

wtf_emblem.jpg

^ :lmao: ^

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ppl around here are pretty good, I've never had someone say to me "is that a vette"...but it happens to friend's all the time.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a FERRARI....I heard that many times! It's red. It's looking good!
:D
It must be a Furruri! :lmao:

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've been called lots of things, some of them not repeatable here:D But, I've never been called Corvette.:lmao:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What gets me is when I am filling my car up at a gas station and someone comes up once in a while and says,,,,,"Is that your car"????? I will Never understand that one. :dunno:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get 'wow,nice car,what is it' a lot..not to many around this area but just 30 miles is BJ motors.While cruising close to them i have seen several Vipers. Been asked if it is a Vette,a Porsche etc.. a few times. One guy said a Ford GT was following him in his shelby a few weeks ago and he thought it was me in my gen 1.Now that seemed ridiculous to me!:dunno:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love when someone from the crowd corrects em....i had the top down and someone said..wow look at that vette..then someone else said..no way man thats a viper! then when the crowd heard the word viper they all oohed and awed as i purposely drove by at 5 mph...he he he

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can see some resemblance of newer vettes to the Gen III+, but certainly none with the Gen I or II.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I think some of the comments directed at Viper drivers are just out of jealousy. If they really didn't know what it was, they could simply ask or say "nice car." :smirk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude