Ever Get The Feeling Your Being Watched

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pull up to a toll booth today. Throw the money in the basket. Just before I get ready to launch, here comes a State Trooper (on foot). He was parked on the other side of the tolls watching traffic. He had to cross 3 lanes to get to me. There was no line. So he says; You need a front plate for that car! me... Its at Home. Why Isn't It On The Car! me...(speechless). I know it doesn't look good, but you need to put it on! me... I will. How do you like the car? me... It's a lot of fun! I bet, have a safe drive. me...thanks.
My guess is he saw me before, heard me comming. I better put it on, or he's gonna get mad = gonna cost me some money. Took almost 2 years, just my turn. :rolleyes:

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there even a bracket to mount a front plate? I have never seen a Viper running one.

Vipers don't come with front brackets, that I have ever heard of. Maybe CA Vipers come with a front bracket? I know that there are two types of aftermarket front brackets you can purchase online for Vipers. Both nice. Non-permanent. One attaches via suction cups. The other attaches via sliding between two opposite points within the front grill, or something like that. The latter seems to be the better of the two since it won't come off like how the suction cup type can if the suction cups come loose or don't attach completely.
You must be registered for see images

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
That *****. Have not had that problem in 5 years of driving in Texas. I don't think the cops here like front plates on Vipers either. They see the front of the car all the time, however, have never made it an issue. I have been pulled for other checks and still not given a ticket for no front plate. If they do, I'll pay the fine. No way a front plate is going on!

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The local TX peace officers don't seem to make an issue of the front plate in my area. At lunch last week, I had the Chief of Police and four of his officers go over my car in detail. None mentioned the front license plate, only that they wanted to trade their squad cars for the GTS.

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2001 came with a front licence plate bracket, although it was not installed when I purchased it. I dont plan on putting it on either.

Mark

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
City driving in TX has seen no problems, however, a recent trip down I35 from Dallas, between Wax and Hills going to Austin, got pulled for plate and window tint. I'm soooooooo happy the crime in Texas is this low that the Hwy Patrol can spare multiple officers to stop me for tint and plate within 10 miles. That front plate would block almost a third of the airflow on the radiator, not a great idea when driving in 90+ temps in Tx at least. The only reason they want everyone to have that plate is that that plate is about 90% of the reflective target for all types of radars.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[snip] The only reason they want everyone to have that plate is that that plate is about 90% of the reflective target for all types of radars.

And it is used to identify your car when someone runs a signal and they have cameras taking pictures.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maryland requires a front plate. The car look's better without it but I'm not giving them an excuse to stop me. The law is stupid, the cops are stupid, I'm not.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the suction cup bracket. It works pretty well. But you have to mind it. Has a tendency to work its way back over time and can mark the facia.

Not that many Vipers on the road in NH. I just get the feeling that they know my name. Everytime they pass me (see me)on the highway I would not be suprised if they ran the plate, just out of curiosity. Kinda like within a week of ownership your outside washing the car and the cruiser comes down the street real slow. I say to myself; Oh $#@% now they know where I live. I have visions of driving home one day only to see them waiting in the driveway. "Hey Jeff, there's a patch of rubber on main street, here's your ticket. Have a nice day, drive safe now.

Not really complaining. I have never been hassled in the car. But there closing in on me :crazy:

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a Red R/T 10 the other day with holes drilled in the front bumper. What a shame....

Touque

When I bought mine, the previous owner had done it too....
Now I have a sticker on the facia with the exact color en dimensions as the original plate. Still forbidden in the Netherlands tough, but not pulled over till now.
You must be registered for see images attach

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After driving the Prowler for three years without the front plate and never having anyone mention a thing,I think I'm going to continue doing exactly the same.I just find it takes so much away from the looks of the car! :cool:

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '97 GTS in California and was given a license plate frame for the car. I'm happy to say that it has never been taken out of the wrapping. I live in NC now so it is not an issue.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I placed an order on a suction cup plate, cancelled it, then used the receipt to make a backorder slip, with a date it would be in and just keep modifying it every year, and carry it in the car at all times, they let me go

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang