Exhaust Help - Random Tech to Corsa Leak - (PIC)

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed my Random Tech Cats/Corsa Track system, and noticed where the RT Cats meet the Corsa, hot exhaust blows out slightly just above where my fingers are.

I cannot get it tight enough with the clamp, and there is definitely a small gap at the bottom side of the pipes. Is this ok/normal?

Any recommendations? Do I just need to drive it someplace like this, with the side sills off, and have it welded?

Thank for any help.

You must be registered for see images

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now you are using the thin band clamp that only clamps the "over/outer" pipe. I would try a WIDE stepped band clamp (like 4-5" wide) to overlap Both pipes and seal the deal.:2tu:

like this:
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dom....I will run by an auto parts store tomorrow, and see what they have in the way of wide stepped band clamps like that...thanks for the idea.

I also thought about inserting small amounts of aluminum foil in the gap, and then tightening the clamp over it?

Also quick question....I have a small hole in front and rear of the Corsa muffler (on the bottom side). I did a quick search and it appears a lot of Corsa muffler have "Weep holes", and I guess the Corsa's for Vipers do too? I hope this is normal, because when I felt underneath the muffler and felt exhaust coming out of those holes too, I thought I had even more problems.

Just Enough

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weep holes let the condensation drain out of the muffler cans, especially if the car is driven for short distances the cans don't heat up an water accumulates. Most OEM mufflers now have weep holes also.

OP
OP
C

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weep holes let the condensation drain out of the muffler cans, especially if the car is driven for short distances the cans don't heat up an water accumulates. Most OEM mufflers now have weep holes also.

Thanks, that was I was hoping for!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're not dealing with weeping holes...exhaust blowing out the connection is NOT a good thing. The Inlet to the RT cats is slightly larger than exhaust pipe. You can use a band clamp as suggested with aluminum foil to help seal the connection. You can expand the exhaust pipe end to create a tighter fit into the RT cats or weld them. I welded mine, no leaks.

OP
OP
C

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks ViperTony....Yeah, I think I may combine the idea of the stepped band clamp idea Dom stated, with the aluminum foil to see how that works.

Thanks again guys.