exhaust leak

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B & B headers. "ticking" sound at tube and collector connect. Can it be wrapped? Is there high-temp silicone/sealant? I'm trying to avoid taking them apart and re-sealing them.
Has anybody tried any quick fixes that worked? Thanks
-chip

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start by just retorquing em. When i purchased my GTS(with B&B headers) she had a ticking leak from one side.
Pulled the heatshields off and surprise surprise, one of the lower bolts was Finger Loose and a few more i was able to turn with a small wrench telling me they were not torqued to spec.
I put a wrench on every bolt and she has been tight for a few years now.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After u install new gaskets.retork after 150 miles.then again untill they stop working loose

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll check the collector bolts, but I think it's leaking in the tubes. B & B tubes are multi-piece. I think it's where the tube fits in to the collector flange? That's where I'm wanting to apply some kind of sealant or silicone. Thanks for the replies too :2tu:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's really an exhaust header tube leak there is no quick fix. You need to have it properly welded/repaired.... If you know where it is you can try some cheap muffler fix-it crap that you spread on the leak then wrap with heat tape then tie off with wire ... but..

This is a Viper!! fix it right and move on.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got up under car and found a significant leak at a slip joint where tube goes in to collector.
Thought I'd try some Alvin's Hi-temp Lab Metal. Y'all ever try any of this stuff for anything?
Anywho, put it on and so far, so good. We'll see........

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same slip-fit leak on some Henny headers and used that heat-cure stuff. Worked great, ran it on the street for several months and no leak....then I tracked the car at CMP and the twisting and suspension loading cracked the adhesive and it leaked again. I'm pretty sure it would've stayed good without the pounding. Its still a PITA because you have to take it apart enough to get the heat cure stuff in the joint...but it worked for me on the street.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking for quick/cheap/convenient fix. Took me more time to get the car in the air than to fix it. I had just enough room to access it. Last resort, I'll take it all apart.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well. I reached "last resort". Pulled the tubes out, sanded down some, reassembled. So far so good...in the header tubes. Found leaks in 3" tube joint in front of, and in seams of resonator. New clamps, some hi-temp ultra copper silicone and should be good to go. I was really surprised to see some cracks in the resonator. I don't have that many miles on the exhaust (maybe, 25k?). The are B&B. Anyone else have this problem? I've got a few pics if interested in seeing what I mean.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
silicone didnt hold in cracks, so using some 2000*F stuff. Also, I noticed (didn't notice it 6 yrs ago when originally installed) there wasn't a piece to connect into the factory support. i.e. there's no support from the slip joints in the tubes until the turn in front of rear wheel. Shouldn't there be a support here (see below pic) and couldn't the tubes "technically" slip out with nothing to hold them in?
suggestions on fix requested.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21