exhaust manifold bolts

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
going back to stock exhaust manifold, do the bolts need to be a special material or grade? Dodge wants about $220.00 for the bolts and studs I know parts are expensive but this averages $10 apiece=crazy

OP
OP
W

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for reply but car is 1994 need bolts and stus dont know if this will work

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used some stainless steel bolts from Ace Hardware on my old Gen 1, worked just fine and cost alot less!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Belanger headers for my Gen 2 came with stainless hex head cap screws, or bolts as they are being called, but I used the OE screws to put the aftermarket headers on. Point is, yes, it appears that common screws will work.

BTW, a bolt gets a nut. A screw does not. Therefore those are screws not bolts.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for reply but car is 1994 need bolts and stus dont know if this will work

Contact Jerry at the VPA and find out. I know they have crates and crates of bolts (screws) and fasteners and I'd be surprised if they didn't have these for your Viper.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmm...interesting. Technically, isn't the block that the bolt is screwing into a nut? Since it's been drilled and tapped to accomodate the bolts?

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So let me get this straight, if I screw the fastener in question into a tapped hole it is called a screw, then if I would take the same said fastener and place it in an assembly with a nut it is now a bolt instead of a screw, so if so it depends on the application as to what it is called.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Certainly interesting, and like the comedic approach lol. I do however find interesting that all of the standards in his opening statement are not the standards we use here; SAE and USS, and then DIN for metric.

I can also say that in my 30+ years in industrial construction / maintenance / engineering, that the bolt takes a nut and a screw screws in to the part being fastened. Both the article you linked to, as well as Wikipedia, both go into the history of the history of the confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#Hex_cap_screws

I will however, always claim victory when you say you have a hot water heater. And I say you don't need to heat hot water...

:eater: