Exhaust temperatures

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've looked through several threads looking for a solution regarding radiant heat from the catalytic converters located just under the door sills. This heat transfer has caused some discoloration. The body shop that I have repainting the discolored areas has recommended that I wrap one layer of some Flexible Silica fabric from McMaster-Carr around the pipes in this area to reduce some of the heat. There are two types available, 0-1800 deg F and a high temp 0-2300 deg F. Has any one used this stuff before? Do you think it’s a good idea to try to use this stuff to reduce the heat issues we have with our cars in this area? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Ref McMaster-Carr’s web site page 3481

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type of car. Future mods do you plan for and what do you have currently for an exhaust ?

OP
OP
F

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an all stock 2000 GTS. I also don't plan of performing any major mods. A lot of these cars have been heavily modified, and I'm more of a preserve the car as close to original as possible type of guy. However, I did receive one PM against wrapping any thing around the cats. I have heard about and actually seen one that has caught on fire. The one that I saw that had caught on fire had original insulation. So, right now I'm leaning more towards removing the factory cats and replacing them with after market, less restrictive cats. Remember, Florida currently does not have mandatory emission inspections.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cut the cats out completely! Or you can go with Highflows, but if you want cooler temps, especially in the Florida summer, cut them out!!!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HF cats and a Corsa 3" cat back will reduce the heat to a level you will find ok...:D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cats hold loads of heat and Removing the cats will make a huge difference in radiant heat dissipation.

When i purchased my stock Gen3 roadster between the factory cats and the crossover tubes the heat generated under the car and too the sides was unbearable in the cabin.

After removing the cats and crossovers, and I still have the stock mufflers because i didnt like the car too loud, there is no more issue with cabin heat and with the gen3 side exhaust the sills dont get too hot either.

As long as the car is not running to rich the exhaust smell is not a problem either.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i say ditch the cats altogether. but at minimum install HF's

silver is by far the owrst color for heat messing with the color on the sills. HF's did a pretty good job but it did yellow slightly after 2 years/20k miles.

no cats = no yellowing at all and ice cold sills

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have high flow cats with a Corsa cat back. My sills never get too hot. I don't recommend getting rid of the cats completely unless you want to also deal with the other issues that come along with it (cat sims, emissions depending on your state). It's been done both ways by many, so I'm sure you'll find a solution to fit your needs.

OP
OP
F

Finsfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok removed both covers and guess what I found. The original owner wrapped insulation around the passenger side muffler only. Nothing was done to the drivers side. I also took a pic of the discoloration on the factory heat shield. Needless to say the after market wrap on the passenger side had been removed. CATs will have to wait a few more months.

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member