Exhaust welding / Electronics protection

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be having my exhaust welded this week. Should I have the battery disconnected while this process is being done or does it matter?

Would like to keep the shop from opening /closing my hood but if they must.....

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most likely item to be damaged would be your PCM. The only way to securely isolate it is by disconnecting it at the PCM. Pull the cover and yank the 3 multipin connectors free. Otherwise, everything that connects to the PCM that has a chassis ground is theoretically still connected to the it then through whatever that devise is. Like a sensor or whatever.

Disconnecting the battery seams like a great way to protect the battery though.

In the chemical industry that I am in it is our practice to ensure you ground to your workpiece. Like, not the pipe rack 1000 feet away. I would do the same with your car. Ground clamp to the pipe and not the chassis.

If you can be there take a 5/16 nut driver for the PCM cover and do it for them.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery AT THE BATTERY...a great investment !!!

If someone takes a shortcut, you will likely do some damage...including your EEM. Have seen this happen to one EEM that then locked the car down (ASD mode)...fortunately it was a year that could be bailed out with a "trick", avoiding a new EEM.

P.S. DO NOT let "Bozo-the-new-welder" ground his welder to the shiny metal brake lines...it HAS happened, and it IS a disaster!!!