Exotic Turkey Run

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always a problem when we run with other "clubs". Too many of them are a serious accident wating to happen when running in a group.

So many times in just that kind of situation, you wind up on the side of the highway with a ticket while taking abuse from a ticked off LEO for driving at a speed that, under more typical circumstances, would never (OK :D ... maybe "never" is too absolute a word) have gotten LEO attention.

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nice to do a charity event but this is amateur hour and only bad is going to happen.

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did any VCA members go on this run? Care to share an amusing anecdote?

08Viper,
about 6 or 7 of us went and like always we cruise together and we warned anyone new to our group to stay back with us. Did "WE" the Viper group have a good time "YES" because we were doing our own thing and not trying to impress anyone. The cops pulled over people and was writing tickets for no front license plates, tint windows, and etc since they couldn't get them on speeding. Was it the right thing to do YES because there were young and older men driving out of control. Now will I do it next year NO reason being someone is going to get hurt know matter how safe you're driving and I don't want it to be me or anyone I know. More important some innocent kid or family

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rt 17 is infamous for patrols- especially Liberty NY (right where they got "jumped". All the more reason why the "concerned citizens" who called this in really make me angry. On the one hand I will admit that the ER crowd is generally more rowdy on the street than our NY/CT-only runs, but calling it in really comes from jealousy more than anything else. If I called about every giant SUV driven by a woman with one hand on her phone, one hand reaching into the back to take something away from her brat kid, and no hands on the wheel, I'd go over my minutes every month...

On the other hand, after seeing the Turkey Run first hand last year and deciding not to go this year the news story made me laugh too...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% in agreement with you, Ed! Absolutely, jealousy is the key driver in situations like this. Not sure, however, if there is anything we can do...except not participate. But, it sounded cool and was probably alot of fun to be among all those high performance cars.:drive:

By the way, are you going to make it to Splash with Courtney? My wife (finally) agreed to attend an event with me.:D

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This is a favor we did for a charity event, and we are absolutely flabbergasted that a few of them ignored the speed limit," he said.

Yeah that's never happened previously.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience with the ER Turkey Run last year was colored less by the speed and more by the "amateur hour" (perfect phrasing here Jon!) attitude and skill level among the drivers out there. Within the first 20 miles we saw plenty of cars swerving from the HOV lane to the shoulder in one move, using exit/entrance ramps to make tight passes on the right, never using signals, and not even respecting the other exotics out there together... I have never seen anyone on an NY/CT run be so irresponsible around each other, or around the "regular" cars out there. The concept is very cool, the "show" of cars at the start, middle, and end was awesome, but the drive was idiotic at best.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Within the first 20 miles we saw plenty of cars swerving from the HOV lane to the shoulder in one move, using exit/entrance ramps to make tight passes on the right, never using signals, and not even respecting the other exotics out there together

And there's the rub. Folks disparaging nearby drivers that were calling 911 on their phones are not grasping the true nature of the situation. Maybe it's a local phenomena, but these trust fund adolescents aren't just driving fast ... they're driving with absolutely NO concern for anyone on the road, not even themselves!

It may be foolish to some to distinguish between driving 120 MPH on an open road among fellow club members and driving 120 MPH on a relatively busy road while weaving in and out of traffic, passing on the left and right using the road shoulders and exit lanes at over double the speed of traffic, but I do make such a distinction.

When we drive as a spirited club and there's any sort of traffic, we're waving at folks around us and slowing to pass them at reasonable speeds. IMO, it's exactly because of these "rallypunks" that WE get an attitude from police.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the "Spirit" over took them :)
Long Live the Spirit :)

By the way I know Tiger wasnt pulled over. I passed him when I was coming back from my sons football game with my family in my wifes truck. Dude the right foot is for the gas pedal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960