Extended Warranty Question

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 2009 Vert which I purchased new in March of 2010. The warranty will be expiring in the coming months and of course Chrysler has been hawking me by e-mail since September to extend it. I generally extend the warrantys on these type cars because problems and broken parts can be very expensive to fix.

Here is the question.

In September Chryslerwarranties.com (chrysler's "official" extended warranty site) had the 7 year / 70K "Maximum Care" warranty for my 2009 Viper with 2000 miles listed at $1577. I went to the site today and entered the same information and it spit out a price if $3495!!!

More than double the price in 75 days for the same car with the same mileage and the same factory original warranty status. Am I missing something or has someone at chrysler decided they needed a new source of funding?

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shop around for the best bargain. I got mine from Tator when I bought my 08. He probably can't sell them any more; but, he saved me a ton on money on a 7 year warranty.

I would pick out a handful of dealers and call asking what they can do for you on price.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is my understanding that there was a substantial price increase in the last couple of months on these...I too was in the market for an extended warranty, but after hearing about the hefty increase, I decided against it.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your best bet is to shop around and compare with different local dealerships. I bought my 2004 Vert in 2011 with 32k miles. I was able to shop around and I got a Chrysler Extended Service Plan for 2 years bumper to bumper coverage with free towing and unlimited mileage for $2200. They also garanteed me the same price if I renewed my policy in 2013. The dealerships want the business so I'm sure you'll be able to find one that will work with you especially if you explain your situation. I only suggest that you actually visit the dealership and speak with a warranty representative as opposed to crunching the numbers on line. The warranty reps. have ways of tweaking the numbers so that you can get a better deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone

Looks to me like they HAVE had a substantial increase.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glenn -

Give Chuck Tator a call. He can set you up with Aaron at Roanoke Motors for the warranty. He helped me get one last year (at this time) for my 09 vert.

Scott

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh! I forgot all about that thread. Insanity.............................

Yeah...Tator gave me Aaron's contact info, but I dragged my feet through the summer and never called. When I saw that thread, I knew I had missed out on a pretty good opportunity. Live and learn I suppose...I'm pretty handy when I need to be, so I'll just figure out how to fix whatever breaks. Or pay a lot of money. Or maybe both.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah...Tator gave me Aaron's contact info, but I dragged my feet through the summer and never called. When I saw that thread, I knew I had missed out on a pretty good opportunity. Live and learn I suppose...I'm pretty handy when I need to be, so I'll just figure out how to fix whatever breaks. Or pay a lot of money. Or maybe both.

I'll tell you, Steve, Between the BS with the window regulators and now Chrysler being totally unreasonable with the warranty extension costs (all of the sudden?) I would really be wary of SRT's support with the new Viper. To me, it's just indicative to how much they DON'T believe in what they sell. I'd like to know how many Viper warranty claims they get per year to justify such an obscene increase. Unreal.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be a great conspiracy theory to assert that the window regulator repairs were driving up the price of the extended warranties...wouldn't be too far fetched with each side costing around $1k + labor. Do I know that for a fact? No, but something compelled them to up the price. When pretty much anything goes wrong with these cars, it is pricey.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It would be a great conspiracy theory to assert that the window regulator repairs were driving up the price of the extended warranties...wouldn't be too far fetched with each side costing around $1k + labor. Do I know that for a fact? No, but something compelled them to up the price. When pretty much anything goes wrong with these cars, it is pricey.

That's true, not only for the Viper but for other "exotic" cars. I am lucky to have a 2-post lift in case I need it (I use it for my oil/diff changes, etc) but I am glad to have an extended warranty for this type of car. I have always been told that the car is really well built by friends who own/have owned them but you always have to factor in the "what-ifs" that can turn into the "OH SHYtS". I have always wanted to start a thread devoted solely to Viper repair frequency. BTW - I almost went for a Venom Red w/white stripes before going with my GTS Blue w/white stripes. Beautiful color!!!

Scott

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 2009 Vert which I purchased new in March of 2010. The warranty will be expiring in the coming months and of course Chrysler has been hawking me by e-mail since September to extend it. I generally extend the warrantys on these type cars because problems and broken parts can be very expensive to fix.

Here is the question.

In September Chryslerwarranties.com (chrysler's "official" extended warranty site) had the 7 year / 70K "Maximum Care" warranty for my 2009 Viper with 2000 miles listed at $1577. I went to the site today and entered the same information and it spit out a price if $3495!!!

More than double the price in 75 days for the same car with the same mileage and the same factory original warranty status. Am I missing something or has someone at chrysler decided they needed a new source of funding?

I just got off the phone with the "Chrysler Warranty folks". The prices went up on ALL SRT products, not just Vipers. I also missed out, as I 1st priced the maxcare for my 09 a couple of months ago. Same thing, $2000 increase in the space of 2 months. I truly doubt it's a "window regulator conspiracy" though, and more too do with the new SRT products being offered. 1st runs always have some bugs and I imagine the price increase is to offset the potential cost of future claims.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of 10/01/12 Chrysler motors has added a $2000 increase to Extended Service Plans / Warrantees on all Vipers. This is due to the newly changed classification of the Viper which was once grouped as a class 1 vehicle and now recently reclassified as a group 3 vehicle " Super Exotic ". This change in classification was due to the high maintenance costs associated with the Viper. Aaron from Roanoke motors may be able to get you a better deal than Chrysler but I don't think he can get around the newly added $2000 increase due to the reclassification. There's no way around it, no matter what policy you have you're gonna pay the increase. Trust me I know exactly how feel cause I'm in the same boat. My current policy will end in July of 2013 and it'll cost me $4500 ( a $2500 increase ) to renew my policy for another 2 years with Chrysler!!... :(

Last edited:

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm really lucky when I bought my 2010 from Roanoke--Roanoke sold me a "lifetime/no mileage limit warranty for around 3K. It's a very complete warranty well above just drive train. The only out Chrysler has is that if the repair costs more than the car value at the time--they buy the car. With the Viper I don't worry about that too much.---Dave

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have sold a ton of contracts over the years and were always surprised how much less Viper contracts were than the Corvette ones at our GM store. I think this was brewing quite a long time ago, as our rep said they were looking into the Viper pricing as it had been so reasonable for so long. I would not be surprised if due to the low numbers the actuaries were really not paying much attention to the Viper. Contract is actually in line with other exotics , supercars and high end sportscars ( actually still less than many), but I feel everyone's pain as I was going to do one on my car and flat forgot , so I'm in the same boat -- darn. Still something to consider when a motor is over 20K.

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I've bee able to learn in the last few weeks is Chrysler did in fact change the Vipers vehicle class for warranty purposes from 1 to 3 which substantially changed (doubled) the cost of a 7/50 warranty on my 2009. They have evidently now changed it back to class 2 which does lower the cost somewhat but still highwe than back in the summer.

I was able to get an acceptable price on the warranty from the dealer I purchased the car from, but it did cost me money for procrastinating those few months.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious?...Since the Viper is now reclassified as a class 2 vehicle. How much is this increase going to cost ? When Chrysler first changed it to a class 3 vehicle, the policy ended up with an approximate $2000 increase. Was just curious to see what this new class 2 reclassification is going to cost me...Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanx

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As stated I have a 2000 mile 2009 Viper still under factory warranty (Till March). I purchased the 7 Year (4 additional years) 50,000 mile (lowest available) $100 deductable MaxCare warranty for under 2K. Looks like I could have gotten it a little cheaper elsewhere but went with the people that sold me the car because they jumped through a ton of hoops with the origional transaction and I wanted to give them the business.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have sold a ton of contracts over the years and were always surprised how much less Viper contracts were than the Corvette ones at our GM store. I think this was brewing quite a long time ago, as our rep said they were looking into the Viper pricing as it had been so reasonable for so long. I would not be surprised if due to the low numbers the actuaries were really not paying much attention to the Viper. Contract is actually in line with other exotics , supercars and high end sportscars ( actually still less than many), but I feel everyone's pain as I was going to do one on my car and flat forgot , so I'm in the same boat -- darn. Still something to consider when a motor is over 20K.

What would we be looking at for an extended on the 13's?