Fabbing my own exhaust, am I crazy?

TRMIN8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just seems a lot cheaper. Has anyone made their own exhaust for their SRT10? I was thinking of using these mufflers Borla ''S-Type'' Mufflers - JEGS
And just running a straight pipe to the manifolds, deleting the cats as well. Any input?

OP
OP
T

TRMIN8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had those mufflers on my Camaro and hated the sound. I had the Bola's on my C5 and loved the sound. But the V10 sounds a lot different, so we'll see.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We made our own exhaust for both of my vipers. 95 and the 06. If you are using headers, install them first after removing the side silss of course. Pick the diameter of pipe and get at least one 10 ft section, look for a wholesale supplier for this. We cut the pipes using an ordinary table saw with a metal cutting blade. Level the pipes and muffler on a workbench ( or ground) using a level or protractor. Take one section of pipe to a muffler shop and have it swedged so it will be a slip fit. This way you can turn the outlet to fit through the side sill and lengthen it or shorten it as neccesary. If the slip fit is too loose so it moves when aligning, just dimple the pipe so it has friction with the inside pipe. Weld or clamp and yer done.

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of DYI exhaust, or just buying mufflers and having a quality local shop bend the pipes and do the install etc. Especially if the aftermarket kits are the same ID as stock. I would think the later model Vipers have factory stainless pipes (if not all Vipers) so I don't see the advantage to dollars ratio in the complete kits. I have another car with treated (aluminized?) steel pipes that were done 20 years ago and they look great and have 0 rust. Cost back then was $100 for 3" duals. The aftermarket kit for that same car is $800.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will certainly fab my own exhaust next time...if you're mechanically inclined then have fun with it. My exhaust on my daily driver is about to crap out and I can't wait to purchase some tubing and fire up my welder! :D

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot--remove that crap crossover pipe mess, don't throw it away. You can leave slip fits on both ends of the muffler, so if you don't like the sound--replace the muffler easily. Hope this helps some.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how a cross pipe affects a V-10 but I do have some experience with V-8's. Here's a link explaining a V-8 cross pipe.

Cross Over Exhaust Pipe Explained... - MustangForums.com

I suggest that you do a dyno run before and after your work, then you'll know what you actually did. There's a lot more to an exhaust than getting the exhaust outside the engine bay!

There's some temperature methods that can help you determine exactly where the cross pipe should go for highest performance - I've never done it but you use temperature sensitive paint and at a certain location is the best place to install a cross pipe. I raced in a series a few years ago that didn't allow cross pipes because they wanted to keep the horsepower down.

For sure it'll be a fun project!

In 1995 I toured the Ferrari factory and I made friends with the guy that owns TubiStyle exhaust (Fausto), just down the road from the factory. He made exhausts for endurance racing cars (LeMans), off shore boats, all Ferrari's and even some Ferrari F1 cars. He had no flow bench and no dyno. I asked how he knew his exhaust made more power. He said he just knew..... No science at all. No emperical information - just his opinion. It was sound that he was selling, not power. Pointless in my opinion.

Greg

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did mine on my GTS from the cats back. I was able to buy all the 3 inch alumized mandrel bent tubing for under $200. I used Dynomax race mufflers, $40 each and came in around $250. I dont need stainless in Texas and my car doesnt see rain. I mig welded all bends then used a flapper disk on my grinder to knock the bead off. Probably didnt have to use it but I went ahead and painted with hight temp paint. I searched several placed including Burns when considering stainless. I finally decided to give ebay a shot and found a seller mandrelbends. Keep in mind I had no crossover pipes to consider. It was also an excuse to ask the wife for a mig welder and chop saw for Christmas.

Chris

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how a cross pipe affects a V-10 but I do have some experience with V-8's. Here's a link explaining a V-8 cross pipe.

Cross Over Exhaust Pipe Explained... - MustangForums.com

I suggest that you do a dyno run before and after your work, then you'll know what you actually did. There's a lot more to an exhaust than getting the exhaust outside the engine bay!

There's some temperature methods that can help you determine exactly where the cross pipe should go for highest performance - I've never done it but you use temperature sensitive paint and at a certain location is the best place to install a cross pipe. I raced in a series a few years ago that didn't allow cross pipes because they wanted to keep the horsepower down.

For sure it'll be a fun project!

In 1995 I toured the Ferrari factory and I made friends with the guy that owns TubiStyle exhaust (Fausto), just down the road from the factory. He made exhausts for endurance racing cars (LeMans), off shore boats, all Ferrari's and even some Ferrari F1 cars. He had no flow bench and no dyno. I asked how he knew his exhaust made more power. He said he just knew..... No science at all. No emperical information - just his opinion. It was sound that he was selling, not power. Pointless in my opinion.

Greg

The GenIII is not an X pipe (not sure if this is what you were implying?). The pipes just happen to cross each other and share no flow characteristics together at all. The Side Pipe on the left travels under the frame exits on the right. Same thing on the other side. Eliminating the Corssover reduces heat and travel distance. Thats all its there for. The X pipe setup works to equal out pressure like the article above states.

OP
OP
T

TRMIN8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Me and a friend will be doing this, he can fab anything, I'll mainly be there for the grunt work lol. No flex pipes. Gonna use stainless, and the borla mufflers and probably stock tips. We're definitely getting rid of the cats and cross over pipes as well. The plan is to make a pipe from the manifold straight to each muffler and then line the tips up. I do have a few questions...

Should I use 2.5" pipe? These mufflers only come in 2.5" and 3.5" inlets and outlets, 3.5" seems too big. The car will not see any power adders so I was thinking 2.5" exhaust should be fine.

Also, do the first set of o2 sensors thread into the manifolds or the pipe that connects to the manifolds? Since I will be replacing all the pipe from the manifolds back, I may need to weld in some bungs.

I'll post pics when we get it all done, should start on it in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the help!!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the custom one on my '06 get built. I would definitely build my own next time, it was a simple setup. I already have a MIG, TIG, and all the other fab tools.

Tony