Factory alarm is psycho!

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08 coupe. I set the alarm and every once in a while it goes off for no reason at all! No fun when it happens at 3am! Both of my key fobs were on the kitchen counter, so panic button could not have been accidentally pressed. It has also gone off by itself when I've been working in my yard and definitively know that nobody was near the car. Please help! Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine used to do this as well. The alarm switch under the hood wasn't pressed down far enough when the hood was closed, so I put a few layers of tape on top of it to hold it down until I was able to take it to the dealer. Mine was still under warranty so they ended up replacing the switch and I haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
R

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im thinking the same thing. I exercised the hood pin switch up and down several times manually about a week ago, and it hasn't done it since. But sometimes it will only act up once a month or three times a week. Thanks for the info 2001Gts. I'll start there.

OP
OP
R

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would also like to know what a new one cost. I have an extended warranty, but I carry a $100 deductible for warranty work. If it's less than $100 I'll just buy and install myself.

Last edited:

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should disconnect and remove the switch first to see if it is the problem still there first.

OP
OP
R

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the alarm supposed to go off when you open the hood with the system armed? Because mine does not.

Laundryboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When your horn goes off, is it a continues honk or is it the on off honking of the alarm?

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you open the hood doors trunk will sound the horn pulsing sound and will disable the fuel system also the lights will flash.

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similer problem. I think it was caused by having the hood open when I locked the doors from the key fob. The alarm did not go off right away....but it went off about 20 min later?
Just curious if a door switch or trunk lid switch being faulty could also be the culprit......

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everyone is correct regarding the hood switch. I put a small rubber boot on top of the switch to make up the difference in space. Somewhere on the forum I thought someone said the switch could be adjusted for height but I can't find it..... anyone have the link? Also keep in mind if you have multiple things in your pocket with the key fob it is possible to press and the panic button long enough to set off alarm, it happened to me once at 4AM:omg:

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told it could also be the battery. :dunno: Something about a voltage drop being detected could trigger the alarm.

Mine used to go off a lot. It got to where I would not even arm it when I was out during the day for fear it would kill the battery. I installed a new battery and it seems to have solved the problem.

OP
OP
R

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My battery is original to the car...08. Don't seem to have a problem with low voltage, but I may just replace the battery for preventative maintenance.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be alot easier for you to tell us here and save poor tator of all the phone calls on the same fix? I bet he'd appreciate it and so would we:2tu:

Agreed. I had mine go off randomly the other day (I think). Might have just been the ultra-sensitive panic button in my pocket.