Factory stereo wiring harness question...

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the viper wiring not the same as other dodge models of the same year? i would assume so... if so you can pick up a wiring harness for about 15 bucks and save yourself alot of headaches, as well as hacking up the wires in your viper..

- eddie -

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Infurno, I have the 96 FSM, so if you need more info than what is posted above, let me know and I can look it up tonight/tomorrow.

Tomer
96 RT

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had to install a stock radio in my 94 RT after the last owner had put in an aftermarket radio. The 6 pin plug was missing and I had to use an alternate plug. Now I have a stock radio like I wanted, but it has a non stock connector. Anyway, the bottom line is that I just went through this wire figuring and looking in the book excercise. My radio works so I think I'm right. If you are planning to put in some other radio, do a search on "radio wires" and you will find some more good info.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">At least on my car, the DIN connector is the one that runs from the head unit back to the amp. My service manual does not detail this particular connector or harness.</FONT f>

snakoil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Crutchfield.com or Circuit City. They probably have the harness you need. It's a lot simpler than cutting wires.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep it's all Alpine including the AMP. The wiring is not document in the FSM....Field Service Manual.....It is documented in the Body Diagnostic Manual. The second manual that all Viper owners should have.

Crutchfield, Best Buy, Circuit City.... can't help with Viper wiring.

Remember don't crimp and tape....but do crimp, solder and shrink tube.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 1994 Viper RT/10 Service Manual from Chrysler and all the wires are in there. Go to page 8W-62 to start with and you will find everything can be traced from there. Remember this, you may need to figure out how to turn on the amp/ or amps in the trunk. Tracing out the wires from the six pin plug might not be all you need to do in order to make your aftermarket radio work with the amps and speakers in your car.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These wires give power to the radio and it's panel lights, except for the Drk green/red that supplies power to the amp, the amp won't pass any signal without power.

Pink is input power for radio memory. always hot,
Orange goes to panel lamps and dimmer switch,
Black and yellow go to park lamp switch output,
Dark green and red wire output power to antenna amplifier,
RED/WHT supplies "switched" power (radio works in the "On" or "ACC" position.
Black is ground.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dark green and red goes to the radio frequency amplifier that boosts the signal from the antenna to the radio. This is a DC power output from the radio to the little signal amp mounted in the dash area.
The black and yellow goes to the park lamp switch. This wire brings DC power into the radio so the radio panel light will go on when you turn on the car lights, even if the radio isn't on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96