Factory Supercharged Super-Viper

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what people think about a supercharger option similar to the up-comming LS9 Engine on upcomming the ZR-1.

After looking at the picture, it appears it is similar to a Roe Setup with and integrated intercooler. What do you guys think about the approach and if Dodge should offer something like this? My guess is it could be 750HP from the factory with a warranty. NICE.

BIG BANG: Someone leaks pics of Corvette motor - AutoWeek Magazine

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No real real reason for the factory to add a supercharger to the current engine, as more hp could be unlocked from the existing block if necessary.

Superchargers add a bunch of weight, complications, heat, etc that make reliability and driveability much more of a problem than naturally aspirated.

Current drivelines approach the capability of the tires to hook up as it is.

No reason to add a ton of power in the engine, and just dial it back out with traction control. Mercedes has done this on their big power motors and it takes a bunch of the fun out of the driving experience.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this is the future .... eventhough North American Car companies are not yet used to the idea. I hope GM/Dodge/Ford will have the time to get used to it before it is too late.

One of the challenges today is to build the most fuel efficient cars. It comes from Legal, social and soon energetic pressure. Electric vehicules are not viable in the North. Below 40F you need to run the engin to heat up the habitacle and to keep in life the batteries. Electric cars in the North are as bad idea as running cars on ethanol. One way to improve fuel efficiency is to reduce engine's volume. It reduces consumption at cruise and reduces weight. However many guys are not willing to compromize on HP/Torque before the next 50 years. This is where comes the forced induction. Imagine an V10 3l engine making 900hp (a super rocket) ... or a small car with 0.5l engine making 200hp and using 3l of fuel on hwy.

With all the progress made in IT technology forced induction engines are more easy to conceive. Forced induction (Turbo and Supercharger) allow to get high HP/Torque with a smaller engin. The problem is quality ... in Japon they don't have union issues so quality is at top since 20 years. Before North American car makers can make more fuel efficient vehicules they will have to improve quality ...

There are also a couple of new advanced designed Superchargers available. Superchargers get smaller and more effective generating less heat. However these advanced superchargers are still requiring special maintenance.

Last edited:

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before North American car makers can make more fuel efficient vehicules they will have to improve quality .

Looks like Buick is on its way. They tied Lexus in the last JD Powers quality ranking and exceeded Toyota, Honda, Infinity, and all other Asian manufacturers

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that even GM has gotten out of the n/a Supercar competition, there's no competition for Viper - at all. GM is just going to be another cheap Ferrarri/Porshe type with a supercharger. The only supercar left on the market without forced induction will be the Viper. Wonder what restrictor plates are going to be assigned to the new f/i vette? I guess Viper should get enough of an advantage because of n/a that they should win all the GT races again?

That stock Vipers can be beat by 'tunercars, hence the supra and Nissan threads on this site. That gives us forced induction Viper guys NO competition with any of the other forced induction supercars and allows us modified Viper guys to set all the records. If the Viper came stock with a supercharger our sc'd cars would lose value and 'bling'.

The forced induction Vipers will continue kicking everyone's ass. I understand it'll take a few years before the supercharged vette will be able to be reprogrammed for more than stock hp. I'm wonering if Nitrous kits will work with the new OBD program so that 'stock' Vipers can provide the new sc'd vettes the opportunity to lose, since they aught to kick ass?

Ted

Last edited:

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The less the factory installs the better. Most people who want to make big power will end up tossing out a factory supercharger/intercooler in favor of something more custom suited to their needs anyway. The appeal of the Viper has always been NA big-block power and torque and thats how it should stay.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a Viper owner only since '99 with a GenII & GenIII, so not too long. Been doing stangs since 87 (6 of them). When they announced the 03 Cobra was coming with a charger I was disappointed. I put chargers on every one of my previous stangs - the way I wanted it, with matching heads, CR, fuel, etc. But, once I got the 03 and found that a pulley, computer, exhaust, and dyno tuning gave me 530+rwhp (increase of 150rwhp) for less than $2K, with great reliability and no internal engine work I was happy.

I'm looking forward to getting a GT500 next year when prices are reasonable, 2 tons of fun I know, but 600rwhp with tweeks can motivate even 2 tons.

I like the Viper NA, I love it for reasons that are hard to point to - a rawness, like the axe murderer of performance cars, it's just sooo different from any other car I've been in. If I had the $ I'd put on a Paxton. So, I guess I want to say I'd rather have the NA huge V10 w/o a blower, but if it were availble & I had the $ - I'd end up wanting a factory blown V10 & loving it, for it's stock perf & the potential perf with mild tweeks.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think u can save much weight w/ a big ass V-10 in your nose...so unless we go to sophisticated cams and serious porting, maybe even some stroking, the V-10 will never produce much more than 750 hp n/a w/ ALL the possible tricks done. Personally, w/out traction control or awd that is enough hp to do everything we can realistically do in the racing world. The Viper wasnt built for bragging rights on I-95 when accelerating from 65 to 165 mph when u come across a z06 or 911 TT or Lambo..the Viper is a road race car. So let us continue to have the baddest n/a car out there...and for those who want to go over the edge, there is always Doug Levin, DC and CPE, just to name a few.

We should not put the burden on Dodge to make a car that out accelerates, out handles, out performs every single sports car out there in every single possible competition...a 1/4 mile car and a track car a different machines. Even the $1.4 million Bugatti had its hands full w/ the $140,000 Twin Turbo Hennessey Viper. But..only after 1/2 mile. For $90,000 no car manufacturer is going to produce a sports car that is everyones answer to every scenerio....hell, if $1.4 million wont deliver it...Dodge certainly wont deliver it.

Lets be happy w/ what we have..and leave the forced induction to those that want something outside the box. As it stands, the Viper is still the baddest most feared sports car on the planet, period. The competition may come across a gen 1 w/ a Roe 750 hp kit, or a gen 3 w/ a Heffner 1000 hp TT kit, or a stock 08 w/ a very conservatively rated 600 hp...either way...the Viper is a hellacious vehicle that only the very ballsy would try on the street.

Last edited:

lethlvnm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge will have to consider something to bring vipers to the next level.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to pay the rumored 100K for a corvette. There's one born every minute I guess.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to pay the rumored 100K for a corvette. There's one born every minute I guess.

Go ahead....Name me a car with the ZR1's specs and performance and use of exotic materials that can be had for 100k......Take your time but I already know the answer....Vette hate is funny at times but open your eyes sometimes or you will miss out on a lot of great cars other than the Viper...

I personally think Dodge only needs to really get serious about reducing weight on the ACR.....That ******** package is a joke....Remove AC and radio but leave in heavy leather seats and heavy battery???lol....They can easily get the ACR under 3300lbs and closer to 3200 with carbon fibre racing seats[9lbs] and a 4lb Voltphreaks battery as I linked to in another post..Carbon fibre top, fenders and hood would be another option they should offer as options and price accordingly..Just throwing hp at the Viper is nice but they would have to recertify the engine....Why not get serious and reduce weight...Thats the only area the ZR1 is superior in from what I can see.....These lightening components will add a little cost to the Viper of course but Im pretty sure most of you would at least like to have these options available to those with the coin......

This should be the ******** pkg:

9lb Carbon Fibre Racing seats

4lb Battery

AC/carpet/sound deadening

Titanium exhaust

Carbon fibre fenders/hood and that GTS looking roof shell........end

I know this wasnt budgeted in by Dodge but really nessessary imho if you really want this platform to be at its best....Chevy has addressed all areas with this ZR1...Dodge should provide SRT with the budget to do the same.....At the very least provide those at options that the buyer can choose just like with the Mopar exhaust[75hp] mods......

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like with my GT all a ZR1 owner has to do is a pulley and a tune and presto another 150hp. If the Z is like my GT I went from 551 to 652 with just a pulley and tune. That is why I woule love to see turbos or charger on a Viper from the factory. Dont get me wrong the 08 puts the power down I mean 548 at the tires is aweome. i just think we need to look at all the options power is power NA turbos or blown.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hearing from the "source" at Conner Ave. the new engine had a difficult time in passing emissions as it is.......what then would be the answer? Going "bigger" would only complicate the emissions problem. Hearing all the engineers talk about hp and saying, "we can build all the hp you want, but the crux of the situation is "passing emissions"! That's the bottom line guys, that nasty word 'EMISSIONS"! I'm all for a safe environment for my grandkids......why isn't China (the greatest polluter of the entire world) being pointed at for their cause of the problem? We are the bad guys....and the emissions scenario will only get more restrictive as time passes us by. I believe that what we wee now is the last of the great non forced induction, high hp engines. My .02!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current engine is good until 2012 (I believe). I'm sure they're looking at options for beyond the next tightening of the screws by the EPA. Perhaps an extension to a new line of engines...

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go ahead....Name me a car with the ZR1's specs and performance and use of exotic materials that can be had for 100k......Take your time but I already know the answer....Vette hate is funny at times but open your eyes sometimes or you will miss out on a lot of great cars other than the Viper...

I'm sure it will be a fine performing car for the money. Hell the original ZR-1 put the Testarossa and Porsche 928 to shame when it came out, at less than half the price. My point was at the end of the day, its still a Corvette, looking not too different from the 30,000 or so others made that year. The Vette's stigma is that its a mid-life crisis car. Thats why my 5-foot tall, balding, middle-aged, overweight ex-boss bought a Vette after he saw my Viper. :lmao:

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure it will be a fine performing car for the money. Hell the original ZR-1 put the Testarossa and Porsche 928 to shame when it came out, at less than half the price. My point was at the end of the day, its still a Corvette, looking not too different from the 30,000 or so others made that year. The Vette's stigma is that its a mid-life crisis car. Thats why my 5-foot tall, balding, middle-aged, overweight ex-boss bought a Vette after he saw my Viper. :lmao:

For the longest of time (way before I bought my Viper) I have called the Vette:

"The Official Symbol Of The Mid-Life Crisis".

And I love your descrition of your boss.

Yes, he totally looks the part. I can see him proudly wearing his "Corvette, the American Dream" baseball cap!

And since Chevrolet knows their customers so well, they spoil them with all sorts of electro-nannies and cupholders, even paddle shifters on their automatics...

Phil

MarshallTK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, that explains why they make the 5th and 6th gear soooo long. To meet emissions....

Anyone know how fast a viper would accelerate if you changed 5th and 6th gears? Top speed would also increase.

Anyone know where i can go to get these technical questions answered?

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Incidentally, I saw a ZR-1 at car show in Seattle, with a window sticker of $115k. But I understand it's not actually available at that cost. I got an advertisement from So Cal where a dealer there is guaranteeing delivery for $140k. Imagine that! :lmao:

V

Venomiss

yea, that explains why they make the 5th and 6th gear soooo long. To meet emissions....

Anyone know how fast a viper would accelerate if you changed 5th and 6th gears? Top speed would also increase.

Anyone know where i can go to get these technical questions answered?

You did see the date on this thread right? Grail Trail but you have to be a VCA member to access.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS