FAQ: The Viper SRT-10 for New or Prospective Owners

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The following thread is solely for information helpful to the new or prospective SRT-10 buyer.

It is not a Discussion thread (which can occur elsewhere).

What we want from this thread are a series of message that provide the new/prospective owner with data that will be important to their operation, care and modification of their vehicle, emphasizing (but not limited to) safe enjoyment of the Dodge VIPER SRT-10.

Please no discussions in this thread and no off-topic posts.

Thank you.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE FIRST 500 Miles:

Your first 500 miles are important at three levels:
a. This is the period in which you follow rules for breaking in the car (outlined below)
b. This is also the period during which many, but certainly not all, problems will be noted with performance, function, fit and finish.
c. Most importantly, this is the time to drive on a variety of roads, in a range of road conditions, and to understand that your new Viper may require skills that were not required by your previous vehicle(s).

The crucial nature of (c) cannot be over-emphasized. The Viper SRT-10 with its stock tires will track irregularities in the road which can lead to sudden and surprising demands upon the driver.

The availability of this amount of torque occurring at comparatively low engine speed can make the car unforgiving of sudden acceleration (especially with cold tires), most notably while turning. It is a car that demands personal driving experience. Because you were able to perform some driving maneuvers with impunity with other vehicles, does not mean that you may do so with your new Viper.

Your rear visibility is limited, your front end is vulnerable, and more than a few experienced drivers have misjudged side, front and rear curbs with resultant, albeit minor, cosmetic damage.

Your greatest imperative for at least the first month of ownership is forming a man-machine relationship with your Viper in which you know, understand, and can predict its idiosynracies.

Skillfully performed, this learning curve will bring you great price. Carelessly performed, it can have quite unpleasant consequences.

It is a streetable race car; never fail to remember that.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SILL TEMPERATURE CONCERNS:

The door sills on the SRT-10 have consistently been a matter of concern and comment. The increased insulation of the later SRT-10s has reduced this heat problem somewhat.

With stock exhaust and hard driving, the sill can reach a temperature at which paint damage occurs. But even casual driving creates a sill temperature which makes exiting the Viper uncomfortable.

Increasing insulation is a comparatively easy solution.

However, aftermarket exhaust systems which removes the exhaust crossover, dramatically reduces the temperature.

Aftermarket exhaust most obviously and modesty increases available horsepower, but it also increases noise levels. For some, this sound increase is a satisfying change. For others, the drone of the modified exhaust precludes listening to the soundsystem and, to some extent, communication with your white-knuckled passenger.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PROBLEMS WITH WHEEL HOP

A search of the topic of "wheel hop" will reveal extensive discussions of this problem and a range of solutions. We recommend that you search and read these posts.

Wheel hop is most apparent on hard acceleration on cold stock ("run flat") tires.

Solution approaches have included changing suspension components, tires along with the recommendation of attempting hard acceleration only with tires warmed and only in straight line acceleration unless modifications have been undertaken.

The new (or prospective) owner needs to anticipate wheel hop and the handling difficulties that this may create.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"For Potential buyers, Viper realities we know now, but didn't know then:

It's the only car capable of making you feel like your in the passenger seat, while you sit in the driver seat...

It sets new rules, requires your full attention all the time, and will not tolerate any mistakes...{sounds like my ex, but cost less}

Buy it if you're willing to respect the raw spirit it comes with, and it will make you happy.I WOULD BUY IT AGAIN AND AGAIN........"

from DSR207

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tires themselves are, by design, a compromise. The Viper SRT-10 cannot store a spare wheel/tire and jack (all of which would also add to the cost of the car as well). The furnished tires provide a measure of assurance that the driver has run-flat protection to drive the car for tire repair/replacement.

The tires are compromises in multiple performance areas, and arguably, one of the earliest modifications that owners consider is wheel/tire replacement.

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it easy in heavy traffic or narrow roads until you get use to "bump steer". The car seems to have a mind of its own and at normal highway speeds will try and slam you into the car next to you or the guard rail if you happen to hit an uneven patch of pavement. Always PAY ATTENTION and CONCENTRATE on the car!

Also never drink and drive in a Viper. It attacts cops like pigs to corn and if your drinking (even 2 or 3) you have set yourself up for a DUI/DWI.

Reaction score
Viper's are Super Performance sports cars with massive torque. Stock from the show room the Viper's Super Performance has been known to strike (due to - Driver error, poor judgement, and or lack of understanding and skill for car control ).

The very first step to enjoying a Viper is attending a Skip Barber Performance Driving School and continue to take driving school, participate in Viper Days Driving School, do a autocross now and then to refresh the skills learned at Skip Barber Driving Schools.

Know who provides the best service for Viper's in your area. In some cases owners may have to travel a 100 or more miles for good(including warranty service) service.

Be an active member of your Region of the Viper Club.

Do not let anyone drive your Snake! The Snake will bite the enthusiast lacking car control skills and common sense.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-if your battery goes dead and you want to access the battery, go into the trunk, find the appropiate allen wrench (if u dont have a professional tool set), and proceed to loosen the bolts on the panel covering the battery. This should take about 20 minutes or so, its fun to try and loosen each bolt as its fitted very tightly and is the worst design for ease of access that could be invented, once the appropiate changes are made, you get take another 20 minutes to put the bolts back on

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your battery goes dead, Use the provided posts under the hood to Jump, if the battery is bad, do the above.
Guys, just a polite reminder, Quote "What we want from this thread are a series of message that provide the new/prospective owner with data that will be important to their operation, care and modification of their vehicle, emphasizing (but not limited to) safe enjoyment of the Dodge VIPER SRT-10.

<font color="red"> Please no discussions in this thread and no off-topic posts.

Thank you." </font>

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problems with new cars?

Are you serious?

Please explain the perceived problem with the new Viper?

I'm not allowed to discuss that on this thread. However, I am talking 2004 Viper SRT10 and if you knew me...you would know that I do not "perceive" problems with cars.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont let friends drive drunk

DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE YOUR VIPER

for the novice the viper is in no way the car to drive! period.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Uhhhhhhh......Tom. That second one sticks out at me for some reason. Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder why? :shocked:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Uhhhhhhh......Tom. That second one sticks out at me for some reason. Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder why? :shocked:

LMAO - for 1) you own a viper, plus after VOI8 TRACK DRIVING, now your a PRO.
now for 2) i didn't offer you a beer until we were done working on my
car - LOL :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper Mechanic

The closest Dodge dealership may not be the source for the best service on the SRT-10. Even the selling dealer may not have the expertise you need, and many have incredible stories regarding dealer service departments (the closest one to me was unable to make an extra key that worked).

The better dealers have a Viper-only mechanics who may (mine does) offer a range of services from changing rear ends to installing a S/C.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-if your battery goes dead and you want to access the battery, go into the trunk, find the appropiate allen wrench (if u dont have a professional tool set), and proceed to loosen the bolts on the panel covering the battery. This should take about 20 minutes or so, its fun to try and loosen each bolt as its fitted very tightly and is the worst design for ease of access that could be invented, once the appropiate changes are made, you get take another 20 minutes to put the bolts back on

Oh, my goodness, gracious, mercy me, you got any idea where the battery is in a GTS??!! You should climb in the trunk and kiss those so very tight bolts. And thank Dodge for the incredible improvement they made.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you car is going to sit up for extended periods, purchase a trickle charger. It is inexpensive and is a good idea for bikes as well as your fair weathered racer. You also have the option of sleep mode.
Start/Settings/Control Panel/Power Options/Hibernate

Wait, that can't be right.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Run Flat Tires

While these tires save the space/expense of a jack and spare tire/wheel, they are less than ideal and even more problematic when cold. Heading out in the morning requires even greater caution and control.

Reaction score
The Run Flat Tires

While these tires save the space/expense of a jack and spare tire/wheel, they are less than ideal and even more problematic when cold. Heading out in the morning requires even greater caution and control.

Is this a fact...or your opinion? If a proven fact...a link to a suitable discussion would be nice to add, so people can read up on the issue. If merely your opinion....then please so state.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lively and somewhat prose filled discussion about rear gear ratios, but little in regard to tires....

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A more reliable, spareless solution is the run-flat tire. You can continue driving for at least 50 miles even after it has lost all of its inflation pressure. Although run-flats eliminate the spare tire and jack, you don't save any weight because run-flat tires are substantially heavier than normal ones.

Sounds like the perfect solution except for one major compromise—ride. The current run-flat tires achieve their airless performance primarily through reinforced sidewalls that are much stiffer than those on regular tires. As a result, the tires don't flex readily to assist in absorbing small, sharp bumps. The more rigid sidewalls also transmit more road noise into the cabin.

Due to their perceived value, four run-flats are also a bit more expensive than five conventional tires and a jack. This cost includes a tire-pressure warning system, to save dim drivers who might fail to notice that one run-flat has lost the benefit of air pressure. This cost penalty will disappear when such warning systems become government mandated in 2004.

Most cars using run-flat tires have been designed to work with them from the get-go, but some of these collaborations are more successful than others. The C5 Corvette has achieved an excellent combination of ride, noise, and handling with Goodyear Eagle F1 EMT run-flats. That said, you could still reduce the Vette's highway noise and improve compliance by fitting conventional tires of similar quality.

Other cars are less happy with run-flats. In the Lexus SC430, run-flats yield a welcome increase in trunk space in exchange for a jarring ride that incites serious structural quivering—at least here in the Midwest. The Mini Cooper also incurs a ride penalty with run-flats. Goodyear's Hopkins predicts these tradeoffs will be reduced with further development.

He also has high hopes for the Michelin-developed PAX System, which Goodyear is also adopting. Instead of stiff sidewalls, this approach relies on a plastic inner donut to support the tire in the event of air loss, reducing the ride compromise. But the PAX System also requires unique rims with positive bead locking, which has never been an easy sell, as Michelin learned with its TRX tires 20 years ago.

Flat tires are so rare I'd rather not compromise the performance of any car I own just to avoid carrying a spare. But I don't ever want to be stranded, either, so for now, the space-saver spare strikes me as the best solution. But if you think otherwise, don't wait until a bitterly cold night to learn what's in your car's spare-tire well

Car and driver

Need more information ? simply ask any driver using run flat tires

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper