Fast bleed vs slow bleed lifters

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm saving up and collecting parts for my buget head and cam swap on my 02 viper. I have been doing research on parts I need to replace while I'm in there. My question is with a 02 I have fast bleed lifters should I chance to slow bleed? Is it something that has to be done?

Like I said I'm on a buget and for 550 I could spend that on a gasket kit or headers over lifter. Which I think I could use more

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO..... if you doing all the work to swap out the cam and you know you need new lifters then using the early slo-bleeds is the best factory option to use, BUT for just a little bit more why not get a set of the Johnson HI-PO lifters,,,, they have almost no bleed, don't rattle after the car sits for a while, can handle higher spring pressure and higher rpm and more.... definately a better lifter. They have been making lifters for years and supply most of the market. Call Lyle at Granatelli, yes tht's the Lyle from DC... he knows way more about them and can give you the info... would be worth it even if it takes a little more saving time. Do it once, Do it right... you'll be happier in the long run.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching this thread. Part of me wants to build this spare motor I have and part of me wants to just sell it. I already have the supercharger running 5lbs but knowing I could bump it much higher. HMM.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO..... if you doing all the work to swap out the cam and you know you need new lifters then using the early slo-bleeds is the best factory option to use, BUT for just a little bit more why not get a set of the Johnson HI-PO lifters,,,, they have almost no bleed, don't rattle after the car sits for a while, can handle higher spring pressure and higher rpm and more.... definately a better lifter. They have been making lifters for years and supply most of the market. Call Lyle at Granatelli, yes tht's the Lyle from DC... he knows way more about them and can give you the info... would be worth it even if it takes a little more saving time. Do it once, Do it right... you'll be happier in the long run.

I have the early slow bleed lifters in my setup. I have no issues with them. But I wonder how HI-po lifters compare to the lifters DC Performance released here: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/651785-Finally-a-High-Performance-Viper-Lifter-Gen-1-3 I'm sending my intake today to be ported by Greg Good. Because I have custom gaskets from ViperSpecialty, I can remove the lifters without having to remove the heads. I may swap out the slow bleed lifters for some HI PO, not sure yet. Figure this is the last time I'm going to work on the engine and might as well replace the lifters.

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the early slow bleed lifters in my setup. I have no issues with them. But I wonder how HI-po lifters compare to the lifters DC Performance released here: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/651785-Finally-a-High-Performance-Viper-Lifter-Gen-1-3 I'm sending my intake today to be ported by Greg Good. Because I have custom gaskets from ViperSpecialty, I can remove the lifters without having to remove the heads. I may swap out the slow bleed lifters for some HI PO, not sure yet. Figure this is the last time I'm going to work on the engine and might as well replace the lifters.
What's your technique for doing it without removing the heads ? Magnet ? How big is the hole in the hg you have ? Any pics of those gaskets? ?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's your technique for doing it without removing the heads ? Magnet ? How big is the hole in the hg you have ? Any pics of those gaskets? ?

The head gaskets are sold by ViperSpecialty. The technique is using an extension to get to the lifter retaining plate. The a flexible magnet to remove/insert the lifter. If I do this I'll take pics. I did this once before when I swapped out a noisy lifter. Not a slam dunk process but not difficult either. The gaskets, if I recall, are about the same price as the normal gaskets. Best to check with Dan at VS.

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Tony, they are the same ones.... the manufacture is Johnson Lifters... they worked with Arrow and DC to get them dialed in,,, Lyle know lots about them as does Todd @ Arrow,,, or you could also talk with Johnson direct,, I did all 3,,, all were great guys, know there stuff and and can do a much better job explaining why they are better and should be used,,, and the pics that dc posted are accurate,,

Reaction score

Tony, what I should do is send you the parts to convert your lifters, (which are made by Johnson) to *travel limited* like I did on 345'sBspinnin's car.

It's a little harder to get them adjusted, but it's not as hard as degreeing the cam, I promise. :D

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can attest that Greg's travel limited mod on early production slow bleed lifters are doing a fantastic job in my NA motor. They were not too difficult to set, and turned out much quieter than I was expecting. They sound almost like stock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang