Fathers & Sons

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK so cars have been a passion of mine since I was in high school and I have always been involved with them in some form or fashion. Car shows, industry sales, builds, photography, track events, clubs, charity events, wrenching/ installs, you name it I enjoy it when it comes to the hobby.

My Father on the other hand could not care any less about cars lol. Over the years he has humored me on many the occasion when discussing events I was planning or when I would run a new best down the 1/4 mile. It's always just been understood that it was my "thing" and that other things like golf, road biking, hunting/fishing, or just smoking a cigar together were where we shared "common" time together.

Anyways a few years ago I think at the suggestion of my mother he decided to try and get a little more involved with some of the automotive hobbies of mine. I flew him up for Corvettes at Carlisle a few years ago and he had a blast. My Z06 was featured in the Corvette Enthusiast Magazine booth all weekend and he really had a good time taking in the sites and sounds.

So yesterday was my Birthday and I asked him if he would like to ride out to the Houston Cars & Coffee show about 45 minutes from the house and he happily rode along.

If you have an adult Son ( speaking age here not maturity ;) ), young son, or even if your father might enjoy it, take them out and spend some time with them in the Viper. There's really nothing like it. The back roads we took to the meet were actually the same roads he taught me to drive on when I was 15, and we got a great laugh remembering how slow I was driving with all of the cars stacking up behind us:rolaugh:

I found this picture online yesterday that someone had taken of us leaving the show and I thought it was a great shot and that I would share it with you guys.

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice story Andy, also diggin the black stripe on the car. Hope things are going well out west.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story!...glad Dad finally got interested in your passion for cars.Sounds like you have had a great life with all of your car interests.:2tu:

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny you created this thread. I recently purchased my first viper, after my father had been talking about buying one for nearly 2 decades. He had mostly lost interest in cars, but recently he has sparked an interest in high performance vehicles again. I definitely need to take him for a ride sometime, maybe at the next local auto-x. If I can spark some additional motivation, I have a feeling he'll be on the waiting list for a Gen V when it comes out.

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Guys appreciate it.

Things are great John, I still keep up with you guys via Ryan.

Andy

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pic Andy!

My dad and I are still very much into cars, although he's mainly on the much older end of the spectrum. He can appreciate new hotrods, but just prefers the old stuff!

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to have missed you both Andy. Your post reminds me of holding the light for my Dad while he tuned the carbs on his 440 six pack Challenger. The first time I did it I was six. Anyone familiar with the set up knows it had to be done often. I can thank him for my passion for cars, Mopars in particular.:2tu:

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to have missed you both Andy. Your post reminds me of holding the light for my Dad while he tuned the carbs on his 440 six pack Challenger. The first time I did it I was six. Anyone familiar with the set up knows it had to be done often. I can thank him for my passion for cars, Mopars in particular.:2tu:

Very cool:2tu:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats great! Nice post!

I was the opposite. I am on this site as I grew up around dads Mopars when I was a kid. I attended my first car show at 1. :D

My first weekend show trip was at 7 (Mopar Nationals).

By taking in dads love, I grew to love the hobby. I think it is fair to say I am fond of cars now. ;)

All because he took me to a few shows....

In two weeks we have a Mopar show here. I will be taking a parent's friend's son with me in the Viper. Apparently I gave him a poster of a Viper a few years ago and that has become his favorite car. I asked if he would like to ride in the Viper and go to his first car show. He is all for it. As he does not have a father to take him, I will. He should have that opportunity. It could be lifechanging for him.

OP, well done. We need more fathers taking their sons. They may turn out just as screwed up as me! :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post Andy. reminds me of the first summer I got my car back from DLM. Took my dad who hasn't been into cars for close to 50 years but super competitive. Picked him up in the viper, ended up on the highway near me with a nasty sounding mustang wanting to run me. I looked at my dad and said its up to you but I think I can take him. I thought for sure he would laugh and tell me to grow up. He says you better or you won't live it down. It ended up with him asking me if we can run someone else and us laughing or @sses off.

One of he best times I've had in the viper.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally believe cars are a huge thing that fathers and sons share...Dad taught me how to repair cars by having me help him....sometimes instead of going and playing with my friends....now as an adult I know how valuable his lessons were. Its surprising (to me at least) how many men didn't get taught to work on their Dad's car....and our cars were humble! LOL

When I bought my Viper/Divorce-paid-off-trophy, I took it home to show Dad and asked him to go for a drive and him drive it and he wouldn't, but I think he got a kick out of the car. I've tried to buy him a car before and each time he turned me down because he "doesn't want panhandlers asking him for change".

Thanks for sharing Andy!! Cool the smiles on both your faces leaving that event.

Regards,
Aaron

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son and I worked on his hot rods as he grew up and he learned a lot from me showing him the RIGHT way to use the tools and get things done. Turn the clock forward 10 years and he's working in a speed shop and turbo charging Lambos and the like. He loves my Viper and brings friends over to just sit in the garage with me and talk about it. I'm going to take him somewhere for a meet and let him see what it's like on the open road. Thanks for the idea to do that.

SOME day my Viper(s) will be his and it's time for him to start learning about the Viper Fever.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story and great car! Love sharing my cars and bikes with my 7 year old. From driving to detailing and waxing.I would let him wash and wax before many guys I know!
It has become a really big deal to him and he is proud that he is trusted to touch clean etc...
Vipers are alot more fun when you can share it with the most important person in the world your kid!!!!

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I wish my kids would take an interest. They only seem to care about video games. Letting them was the vipers comes off as a chore.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Me and my Dad love to play golf together, even though he could afford any sportscar, its not his thing. He loves cars, but he would rather swing the club. Me on the other hand, spend all my spare money on my cars (2004 Viper- 2007-ZO6) maybe thats why im broke :rolleyes:

OP
OP
F

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Me and my Dad love to play golf together, even though he could afford any sportscar, its not his thing. He loves cars, but he would rather swing the club. Me on the other hand, spend all my spare money on my cars (2004 Viper- 2007-ZO6) maybe thats why im broke :rolleyes:

Exactly my situation lol. I have been trying to get him to sack away a couple Heritage Edition Ford GTs but he just laughs. He started his Oil & Gas career with Gulf years ago and I still can't talk him into it lol.

I've been into the hobby for about 13 years now and he's recently been more inlvolved so who knows?

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great post. My Dad has always had an interest in cars but never the money to follow that interest. He is now 95 and we are separated by 300 miles. He talks regularly about coming and taking a ride though he is not able to travel that distance now.

My twin sons also love cars. We did major mods to an SVT Contour a few year ago. We share the interest. My one twin lives very close and we regular go cruising in Viper.

You have encouraged me to get pictures of us together in the Viper.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The best thing of building my Street Serpent was it was a father son project. And as crazy as this sounds, I let HIM be the first to drive it to of all things, his senior prom. It actually finished the day of the his prom except for one thing - we didnt put the wiper blades on - and guess what - it rained.
Naked_Viper_21.JPG

One of my prouder moments was when I let him run it in the regional autocross where he qualified to run against the SRT guys. Happened to snap this picture of the Grailkeeper giving my son some advice for the course:
Grailkeeper_Medium_.JPG

Joe_Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks great Wheeler! I'm with ya on the father son bonding! Dad and I still try to hang out n do car stuff as much as possible!!! Even though its just a lil ol Z06!!!!! It's truly a great time spent with dad! Hope you guys are doing well!

Oh and I usually love most everything you do to your cars, but the rear mount flower *** has to go!! Lol