Favorite Gen IV code reader/clearer?

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, all... I'd like to pick up a good code reader and code clearer for my '09 ACR. Hopefully not too expensive, but I don't want a "budget" compromise, either. Bonus points if the unit can be bought at typical (Autozone, O'Reilly/Kragen, etc.) retail stores.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Rich

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Go to the store and try an Actron that does what you want...needs to be CAN bus enabled. I have a couple that CLAIM same, but don't deliver. .or, go to Harbor Freight and get the $59.00 unit (often on sale for less) as it DOES work on our 2008 Viper.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favorite code reader is the key-on-key-off 'three times' thing. Very convenient whenever a CEL pops up while you're in the middle of nowhere. From there, I use my Android device to look up the codes to see what they mean. Clearing the codes isn't quite as easy with the built-in diagnostics, though.

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It you have an android or iPhone, buy an app and get a plx devices kiwi.

Have you used this with your Gen IV? Full functionality? Looks like an elegant solution. I wonder which unit performs better, an iTouch/iPhone via wireless or an Android device via bluetooth?

Good info, thanks!

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, on an android. I don't think there is a difference because its just software. The interface is the same between both.

OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna give the PLX Kiwi/bluetooth a try with my Droid X and the Torque app. I'll report back with results...

Thanks again for the info, guys.

F

FrgMstr

I just ordered this Bluetooth ELM 327 adapter for using the Torque Android Application. It is one of the lowest profile ones I have seen and I did not want something getting in my way at the knees. I will probably go with the Kiwi/PLX Dongle if this one is not doable. I did find a couple of guys on some Ford forums that were using these successfully. I will let you know how it works out.

You must be registered for see images

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frgmstr, i have been told the PLX stuff is top notch but it is quite a bit more money than the other one. if you get the bargainbin peice, please let us know how you like it. i really like the idea of doing this with my phone but im cheap.. :)

lol@kngsnke

F

FrgMstr

Frgmstr, i have been told the PLX stuff is top notch but it is quite a bit more money than the other one. if you get the bargainbin peice, please let us know how you like it. i really like the idea of doing this with my phone but im cheap.. :)

lol@kngsnke

PLX is highly recommended, but I would rather not have the extra wiring and separate dongle piece under the dash.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about so people understand.

The company I am buying the small blue one from is not too highly recommended so we will see what happens! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte