"feel" of Viper power compared to...

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"feel\" of Viper power compared to...

not if your car is stock. 100+ horsepower jump and way more than that in torque. I guarentee the WS6 will feel like a minivan after you drive a Viper cuz my car feels like a tricycle after I drive ours.

Craig

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have had bolth an 00 and 01 ws6 and a few vipers, minor power differance-BS. The ws6 has good power in but not close to viper power. Jerry

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What Craig sez.

I just sold a lightly modded 99Cobra (290RWHP), not a WS6, but a reasonable contender no less, and bought a GTS ACR in Dec.

Getting back into the Cobra (sold in Feb) after driving the Viper was like going from the Cobra to a Honda Civic. There is nothing of of the box this side of $200K that is going to give you 500ft lbs. HP provides top speed, but torque MOVES the car. It doesn't matter what gear, the car gets up and moves when you ask it to.

No more dreaming/fantizing -- go figure out how to do it.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you confident you were in an appropriate gear when you punched it? My neighbor has an M5, and as long as I don't get caught sleeping, it's really not a concern for my Viper.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Viper didn't seem all THAT much faster than my Vette when I first got it. But about 2 years later, I drove a Vette that was just like mine and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow, it was a total dog!

What happened was I took it easy in the Viper until it was broken in, and I gradually got into the power. By the time I was really using the power, I was completely used to it. It wasn't until I drove another Vette that I realized what pigs they were
smile.gif

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went from a 1996 firehawk w/hypertech mod and exhaust mods to a 1999 RT10 and the difference is without a doubt noticeably monstously beautiful, especially the torque 9god i love that stuff, theres nothing like whiplash). if you cannot feel the diff b/t a WS6 and a viper, check your pulse 'cause you aint breathing!

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like any comparison, the change at first feels drastic. But as you become more accustomed to the cars performance, mods are nearly necessary to continue the search for more adrenaline. I know several Viper buddies with NOS. It's like an addiction. "I feel the need, the need for speed."

OP
OP
C

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DgeViper1:
I must be stupid....but what is a WS6?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ultimate performance Pontiac Firebird. It has the vette motor and ram air hood if I'm not mistaken

Craig

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the ws6 for the pontiac trans am is what ss is for the chevy camaro z28. all v-8 f-bodies (the gm term for the firebird/camaro platform) have the corvette engine. it is just that free-er flowing exhaust and intake yield few extra horses on the vette. the ss and the ws6 are called ram-air cars and they have a functional hood scoop and a freer exhaust, 17" wheels with 275 tires and some different plastics to distinguish them from their lesser brothers. they are as close as you will get to a y-body (vette) without spending the $$. although last i checked the ws-6/ss combo was $30k+ (a tad less for the ss)...

all f-body cars are grossly underrated from the factory. the consensus is that stock ws6/ss dyno at around 300 rwhp which puts them in corvette teritory- and those numbers are without the ram-air effect which kicks in above 100 or so..

alex
02 gts
few other cars

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

no offense but the WS6 was second fiddle to SLP's Pontiac Firehawk which in 1992 shined at 350hp and a payload of torque. my 1996 firehawk was 315 base and each year the SLP Firehawk was minimum standard 5-10 more HP than the pontiac WS6, same thing with the SLP camaro SS. thing is, GM got their ******* bunged up with the results of SLP and decided to cut in on the fever for ram air and presto brought back their WS6 out of retirement

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After driving a 97 GTS for 3 hours and getting the feel of it, and having a lot of fun with the TORQUE, I left the dealership in my 00 Vette, with vortex intake, otherwise stock, 6 spd. Let me just say this... I can only compare the driving experience as this...My vette felt so SOFT and MUSHY, like a kidde car, the Viper was so much more responsive, Torque galore, and will not quit pulling at all, like one member states...you will run out of balls or road before the Viper runs out of POWER!!!

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My neighbor has a Camaro SS which he seems to be quite proud of. Late one night he saw me driving home and tried to race me from a stop light. I didn't realize it was him at first and didn't follow. When I realized it was him I got ******* the gas and caught up easily. I didn't pass him because his rear end was sliding all over the place. He about killed himself trying to stay ahead of me. When he got home he pulled into the garage and immediately closed the door without even a word or look. I don't think that car is anywhere near the Viper in power or handling. Actually I think my Boxster S could take him. Of course his car costs less than $30K so performance for the dollar it kicks butt.

I thought Road & Track had the SS at 0-60 in the mid-5's and quarter in the high 13's? Hardly Viper material.
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

few random thoughts:

1. slp still makes the firehawk although it is very similar to the ws6 package. as somebody said above- gm just wanted a part of the fad
biggrin.gif
slp still provides most of the parts for the ws-6 package btw. the original firehawk (i think back in 93) was a monster for its time, but was too expensive and never sold well (nobody would pay 40k+ for a firebird)..slp learned their lesson and the later slp products were just a tweak here and there on the intake/exhaust tract.

2. dont ever get into the performance/$$ discussion
biggrin.gif
"my car is more expensive therefore faster" statement is indicative of total lack of knowledge about modified cars. an f-body (camaro/firebird) with heads and cam (about $4k) will soundly hand a stock viper its *** in a drag race. better yet, a $5k fox body (mustangf) with $10k in mods done right is a 10 sec. car- hardly a stock viper teritory
biggrin.gif

vipers have huge potential and when modding one you can achieve monsterous numbers (800+hp), but the entry cost is so high, that there are plenty other cheaper cars that for much less money can be modified to be very very fast

everything is relative. a stock viper is hardly a king of the street.

alex
02 gts (stock, but not for long)
few other cars

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a 97 Z28 (30th edition with 13K Miles!) with flowmaster exhaust, headders (no cats) chip, K&N airbox and crane cam (not sure of duration, only slight mod) and roller rockers. My stock 94 viper will cook it all day! (onlyd mods are exhaust and filters) The camero is fun and sounds great. It is even faster than my friends 2000 vette, but is in no way the same league as the viper!

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Power aside, (any car can make as much power/handle as you want it to - just add money) I cring at comparisons between Viper vs Mustangs, Camaros, Supras and the like. I had the problems with similar comparisons made between my old NSX and other mass produced 'sports' cars. One is an (affordable) exotic ie: Viper, NSX; the others mentioned are not.

Would like to hear what you thoughts are on what you think defines an 'exotic'. Then see if these qualities fully exist in a Camaro, Mustang or the like.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My wife and I have a road race modded 95 Z28, a 99 GTS, and an 01 Z06. The Viper feels the fastest, SOTP wise, of these three cars. I think the difference is actually greater then it feels due to the tall gears. The Z06, and to a lesser extent the Z28, feel like they rev quickly through the gears but when I look at the speedometer in the Viper, I'm always going 10 or 20 mph faster over the same stretch of road.

The difference at high speed is even greater. I ran the Viper up to an indicated 162 mph and the car was still pulling hard at approximately 4900 rpm in 5th. I believe the car would redline in 5th around 190 mph.

I went out the next day in the Z06 and ran it to 130 mph in 5th gear. I honestly think the Viper pulls harder at 160 then the Vette does at 130.

Jim

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know, that is pretty funny - I guess I'm just lucky or something, but my wife is great about my interest in fast cars.

She's driven the Z28 several times at track days (Portland and Laguna Seca for example) so she understands my obsession.

Jim

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Hodel:
I know, that is pretty funny - I guess I'm just lucky or something, but my wife is great about my interest in fast cars.

She's driven the Z28 several times at track days (Portland and Laguna Seca for example) so she understands my obsession.

Jim

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You my friend are a lucky lucky man....My girl wont even go with me to Englishtown to spend the day as she says: "looking at cars go up and down. I can see that outside our window"...Sigh...Wanna trade
laugh.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather