Finally did a decent 1/4 mile in the SRT

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran a 12.16 quarter earlier at 118 mph in my bone stock SRT. My previous best, out of 12 runs, was 12.51 done in very humid conditions. Tonight the air was dry and about 74'. I was very pleased with this considering my 60' time was 2.07 sec. If I can drop the 60' time by .2 sec. then that would save .3 sec. on the ET and could result in approx. 11.86. My best 60' time on stock tires is 1.82 sec., so I think I can get there. Dropped the tire pressure to 25 lbs. on this run and came out of the hole at 2k rpm with a small amount of wheel spin. The car seems to bog too much with a 1500/1750 rpms launch and no wheel spin. Also, the car cooled off for 45 minutes before the run and it seemed very strong. Shifted at about 5600/5700 rpm's.

Should have video shortly.

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TM

I've been working my way down from 6000 rpm's and I may try and go even a little lower next time. At 5600 rpm's you still get a good chirp from the tires on the 3rd to 4th shift and your further from the finish line on this shift, which seems to translate to a little better MPH.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good run on the stock SRT-10. I went drag racing recently as well, and I've been working on trying to get under a 2.0 60' but it's tough with the so-so prep at the track that I run the Viper at.

If you are not spinning badly, there is little value in short shifting, especially 3rd to 4th.

-Dean.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good job launching and extracting times, but a stocck GTS will pull 118 trap speed. I had hoped for at least 121 trap out of the SRT with its supposed aero, weight, power and torque improvements.

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick, good times! Sounds like you've been having the same problem getting under a 2.0 second 60' that I've been having at NED. The prep there is certainly not the best on a Wednesday or Friday night. Are you going to the Vettes/Vipers Shootout at NED on 11/18? If so, see you there!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that a 3-4 shift was not necessary in the SRT. That was part of my learning period as I was repeating normal 1/4 mile techniques for Gen I/II where a 3-4 shift occurred before the end. The SRT top speed in 3rd is more like 121 mph so you should not have to shift to 4th. For me not shifting raised the speed up by 2-3 mph probably due to very slow shifting. I was ultra careful shifting, which translates into SLOW. Plus the SRT seems to be more difficult to prevent mis-shifts for some reason. I did several 2-5 shifts by accident as I was making certain I did not miss the other way. The shifter is not as "snickety" as my RT/10. Both have MGW shift knobs.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That all depends on where it was run. With mine the stock (few that there were as most Gen II's have mods by now) were running 3-4 mph less. Same day same track. Best to compare apples to apples.

OP
OP
B

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean: Thanks for the compliment. New England Dragway has a decent surface. I think I need to stop worrying about my nice new stock tires and start smoking them a little more, if I’m going to get any better traction.

Keith: Thanks! As you can see from the video, I think the trap speed will break 120mph if I can improve traction on the first two shifts.

Phil: Thanks! I sent you a private email on the shootout. I’m definitely interested and will be in touch.

Ron: Thanks for the response. My 2000 RT/10 seemed to have a sloppy 3rd gear compared to the SRT. Same Tremec tranny, but have yet to overrun 3rd and hit the gate, or slip over to 5th.

Ron J.: I’m not sure if dropping the PSI on these tires makes a difference, but once I did, I ran two 12.3s and then the 12.1. I will probably go a little lower next time.

SnakeBitten: As you can see from the video, the power seems to be there, just tougher to harness.