Finally drove the SRT viper

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the Gen 2 cars come with the Inconel heat shields, like the Gen 3+ have? I've never burned myself on my '06, either. Hot to the touch, yes, but not enough to leave a mark or singe the leg hairs.

Back in the day when my Gen2 was new after driving the car a bit, I would go to car shows and bring some eggs in a cooler and cook the eggs over easy on my door sills for fun. i never ate them of course but it was fun to make over easy eggs on the door sills. Had to spray some Pam no stick spray to keep them from sticking. People at car shows thought it was zoo cool.It go to be so popular that one guy would copy me but cook his eggs on his manifold .... yuck !!

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The viper brand. You have to earn it...

You must be registered for see images attach

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys complaining about the Gen 5 (or Gen 4) sound really should go listen to a few Gen 1 and 2 cars, and Gen 3 cars with stock exhaust. Those earlier generations are where the whole "UPS truck" comments stemmed from. The Gen 4/5 do not sound anything like those.

Don't hate because the V10 doesn't sound like your Mustang with a pair of Flowmasters. I actually like the V10 sound, it sounds more exotic than a V8.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For stock it's not bad; watch Jay Leno's face and listen to his response on his show when he first fired up a V. He was shocked & kept saying "that's stock??"

But yeah mustangs are sooo kewl. Lol

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the day when my Gen2 was new after driving the car a bit, I would go to car shows and bring some eggs in a cooler and cook the eggs over easy on my door sills for fun. i never ate them of course but it was fun to make over easy eggs on the door sills. Had to spray some Pam no stick spray to keep them from sticking. People at car shows thought it was zoo cool.It go to be so popular that one guy would copy me but cook his eggs on his manifold .... yuck !!

Anyone have any PAM non stick spray ? I have a car show to bring my Viper to this weekend.....want to cook some eggs on the sills.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For stock it's not bad; watch Jay Leno's face and listen to his response on his show when he first fired up a V. He was shocked & kept saying "that's stock??"

But yeah mustangs are sooo kewl. Lol

He said that because it was so loud. Jay Leno recently keeps getting amazed by how loud stock systems are now because they use to be quiet which is why the aftermarket was so profitable. Same with CAIs. Now the OEM are starting to put them on and phase the aftermarket out.

You guys complaining about the Gen 5 (or Gen 4) sound really should go listen to a few Gen 1 and 2 cars, and Gen 3 cars with stock exhaust. Those earlier generations are where the whole "UPS truck" comments stemmed from. The Gen 4/5 do not sound anything like those.

Don't hate because the V10 doesn't sound like your Mustang with a pair of Flowmasters. I actually like the V10 sound, it sounds more exotic than a V8.

No be honest the gen v sounds like UPS truck too lol. I love a v10, but it sounds nothing like any other v10 I've heard in my life, it sounds like a truck. And that is the nature of the side exhausts. Now if it sounded like a lambo v10......my god what a car that would be then.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any PAM non stick spray ? I have a car show to bring my Viper to this weekend.....want to cook some eggs on the sills.

Did you actually do this? That is pretty funny if you did I'd want to see that.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just figured out that the "ignore" feature only works once you are logged in; if you aren't logged in and look at the forum you can still see the stupid posts from the know it all know nothings that u put on ignore.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just figured out that the "ignore" feature only works once you are logged in; if you aren't logged in and look at the forum you can still see the stupid posts from the know it all know nothings that u put on ignore.

Yes, I agree. The ignore feature needs to be updated to delete...

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lol I'm ignorant before and after driving the car then it seems. I wonder what makes you the expert?

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said that because it was so loud. Jay Leno recently keeps getting amazed by how loud stock systems are now because they use to be quiet which is why the aftermarket was so profitable. Same with CAIs. Now the OEM are starting to put them on and phase the aftermarket out.

Stock exhausts were typically restrictive because they used "off the shelf" mufflers that were not optimized for high flow. You could "wake" the engine up by going to a freer-flowing aftermarket exhaust. Manufacturers are likely putting better exhausts on their performance cars now because there's a HP race going on and it's such a simply way to make more power as opposed to tweaking the engine.

No be honest the gen v sounds like UPS truck too lol. I love a v10, but it sounds nothing like any other v10 I've heard in my life, it sounds like a truck. And that is the nature of the side exhausts. Now if it sounded like a lambo v10......my god what a car that would be then.

Except that it's not a lambo so why would you expect that it should sound like one?

The viper doesn't sound like a truck; not even close...but your GT500 sounds like every other V8 out there including pickup trucks, while looking mostly like the base mustang...and you still felt it was worth spending $60K on. Doesn't really make sense that you have no qualms about overpaying for a mustang, yet are so indecisive about purchasing a Viper that is actually worth its price.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock exhausts were typically restrictive because they used "off the shelf" mufflers that were not optimized for high flow. You could "wake" the engine up by going to a freer-flowing aftermarket exhaust. Manufacturers are likely putting better exhausts on their performance cars now because there's a HP race going on and it's such a simply way to make more power as opposed to tweaking the engine.

Except that it's not a lambo so why would you expect that it should sound like one?

The viper doesn't sound like a truck; not even close...but your GT500 sounds like every other V8 out there including pickup trucks, while looking mostly like the base mustang...and you still felt it was worth spending $60K on. Doesn't really make sense that you have no qualms about overpaying for a mustang, yet are so indecisive about purchasing a Viper that is actually worth its price.

My shelby doesn't go durup durup durup (best way I can describe the sound) when I turn it on. Like a truck or motorcycle would. The viper sounds like a truck. And hey I may have overpaid for a mustang but people still offer me what I paid for it plus 70% back on my mods 1 year and 9500 miles later. Pretty good residual. And the only thing my shelby kinda sounds like is a zl1 maybe even a zo6 or zr1. Definitely doesn't sound like a mclaren, aston martin, audi r8, maserati, or any of the truly nice sounding v8s out there.

And if it didn't sound like a truck it wouldn't have the stigma of sounding like one don't you think? Unless people just like to make up stuff now? I'll tell you this it definitely doesn't have drone like other people were saying.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My shelby doesn't go durup durup durup (best way I can describe the sound) when I turn it on. Like a truck or motorcycle would. The viper sounds like a truck. And hey I may have overpaid for a mustang but people still offer me what I paid for it plus 70% back on my mods 1 year and 9500 miles later. Pretty good residual. And the only thing my shelby kinda sounds like is a zl1 maybe even a zo6 or zr1. Definitely doesn't sound like a mclaren, aston martin, audi r8, maserati, or any of the truly nice sounding v8s out there.

And if it didn't sound like a truck it wouldn't have the stigma of sounding like one don't you think? Unless people just like to make up stuff now? I'll tell you this it definitely doesn't have drone like other people were saying.
If I recall from my 09 Z06, the exhaust was pretty quiet actually, until NPP kicked in. Never understood people concerned with the way exhaust sounds in lieu of how the car accelerates and handles. Each to their own I guess.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have never understood the truck comments. It doesn't sound like a V8, but is certainly doesn't sound bad either! My Gen 3 has the Mopar Race exhauset, so maybe that's it. I owned a 97 Ram with the iron-block 488 V10, and again, it sounded different, but not bad. SRT Viper just wants something to complain about.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall from my 09 Z06, the exhaust was pretty quiet actually, until NPP kicked in. Never understood people concerned with the way exhaust sounds in lieu of how the car accelerates and handles. Each to their own I guess.

It doesn't bother me really to be honest, and I already mentioned it before. The car was really good and that everything else was a minor annoyance.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never understood the truck comments. It doesn't sound like a V8, but is certainly doesn't sound bad either! My Gen 3 has the Mopar Race exhauset, so maybe that's it. I owned a 97 Ram with the iron-block 488 V10, and again, it sounded different, but not bad. SRT Viper just wants something to complain about.

No I just look at the car with unbiased eyes. I'll say it again for like the 100th time. The car is a very good car, it just has minor and I stress MINOR annoyances.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me really to be honest, and I already mentioned it before. The car was really good and that everything else was a minor annoyance.
Not sure, it seems like it is a big deal to you actually. This is just me but I would not use a propane powered delivery truck for any comparisons to a sports car unless something bugged me or if I was trying to make an annoyance more dramatic. I see Mustang exhaust sound coming up among Corvette owners as well which again, I do not understand but each to their own. BTW, I was watching Bullit not long ago and my favorite car chase scene, McQueen's Mustang sounded as good as ever but if I recall, it was dubbed over using open GT40 race exhaust:D

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The idle sound is due to it having a more aggressive cam. It sounds nothing like a truck and it doesn't have a "stigma" of sounding like one, nor does it have any of the imaginary "issues" or "problems" you seem to be hung up on.

I don't consider the exotic V8s the "nice sounding" variety. I prefer the american big block V8 sound...Mercedes C63 AMG actually has this sound nailed down despite not being an american nameplate.

Time to trade the stang in for a viper. 9balls is ready to apply his proprietary smoothing gel to your driveshaft.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idle sound is due to it having a more aggressive cam. It sounds nothing like a truck and it doesn't have a "stigma" of sounding like one, nor does it have any of the imaginary "issues" or "problems" you seem to be hung up on.

I don't consider the exotic V8s the "nice sounding" variety. I prefer the american big block V8 sound...Mercedes C63 AMG actually has this sound nailed down despite not being an american nameplate.

Time to trade the stang in for a viper. 9balls is ready to apply his proprietary smoothing gel to your driveshaft.

Uhhh people use to say it has a truck engine because it sounded like a truck. Watch some video reviews where the SRT guys say "it never had a truck engine" And what imaginary issues am I talking about? Sound is subjective and the only other thing I said was that the pedals were too close but that is solved by the adjustability. What else r u referring to?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why complain if the Viper sounds like UPS truck ? the UPS man is the REAL Santa Claus. It feels like Xmas every time he shows up with a package for me.

Besides, only sound better than the UPS truck is the sound of the Ford f150 engine strapped to the Good Humor ice cream truck !! what beautiful sounds I remember as a child

Just talking about Good Humor is making me hungry....I ;m going to get some ice cream now....

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhh people use to say it has a truck engine because it sounded like a truck. Watch some video reviews where the SRT guys say "it never had a truck engine" And what imaginary issues am I talking about? Sound is subjective and the only other thing I said was that the pedals were too close but that is solved by the adjustability. What else r u referring to?

Yes, the viper's V10 is an evolution of what was originally a heavy duty truck engine, but in the Gen 5 the sound is nothing like any truck I've heard...especially since most trucks have a V8, whether gas or diesel. The smaller UPS trucks have a 4 ****** diesel and the bigger ones like the one dynoballs linked to have an inline 6 diesel. I don't care what someone in a video said...but I can concede that the sound of the Viper's V10 is an acquired taste that may never appeal to some people.

In other threads you were bringing up stuff like abnormal ride harshness, handling with snow tires, carbon footprint and probably other things I don't remember but also am not going to look up. So get one!

why complain if the Viper sounds like UPS truck ? the UPS man is the REAL Santa Claus. It feels like Xmas every time he shows up with a package for me.

Do you think about lukewarm pizza with rubbery cheese every time you hear a honda buzz by?