Finally finished the biggest PITA project of my life!

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, not a Greek project! :D

I finally finished my door panels! My biggest complaint with my '99 ACR was always the door panels. The carpet was shredding and the vinyl was thin and easily damaged. I decided to strip the door panels bare and recover the whole thing in brand new black vinyl. Including the carpeted part at the bottom. What a pain in the rear! It took awhile to get the old vinyl and carpet off but persistence paid off.

I actually used a cutoff wheel to separate the panel into three pieces to wrap them individually. This worked out nice because the seams look great! Reattaching the three pieces was tough, but I think it was worth it in the end.

This is what the factory door panels should have looked like from the beginning. I never understood why they put that cheap carpet at the bottom :nono:

Here are a few pics of the passenger door panel.

https://filebox.vt.edu/users/jostinn2/Door%20Panel/Door_Panel_Pics%20003.jpg

https://filebox.vt.edu/users/jostinn2/Door%20Panel/Door_Panel_Pics%20001.jpg

rimmie

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For reference, I ordered the vinyl from yourautotrim.com. It is a 4-way stretch vinyl that is very elastic. The color is "all sport black". I also bought a gallon of the vinyl cement so (hopefully) I won't have any bubbling problems when things heat up. The cement is extremely strong and bites quick! I applied it using some disposable brushes from Harbor Freight. I also used a bit of 3M 90 spray on a few areas. The 3M spray seemed to work well to adhere the vinyl to the back of the panel.

This project is definitely not for the impatient or the ill-tempered. It's a shame that there aren't more aftermarket solutions to the door panel problem.

...almost forgot, very important to have a good heat gun! Pick one up at Harbor Freight. It makes the vinyl much easier to work with. Just be careful not to get the vinyl too hot. It will melt quickly!

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks great!
I have thought about a carbon fiber overlay on the bottom part to replace the carpet section. Maybe this winter ;)

OP
OP
R

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked everywhere for a set of full carbon fiber replacement panels. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding a vendor. I'd still love to find a set one day. Maybe one day I'll get brave and try some carbon fiber fab.

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow looks really nice! You are right, that is how they should have come from the factory. I'm going to be tackling my interior soon myself but I don't think I have the brass to do it myself.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a very nice job. But I'd be too nervous doing my own. So when I do my interior I'll do the chicken stick route and have Venzano do mine.

Anyway, when you say patience is needed, just exactly how many cases of longs necks we talking about here? :dunno:

MattInNC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
rimmie,
Do you have any more pics of how you did this? I dislike the carpet bottoms on my door panels as well.

OP
OP
R

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have any detailed pictures of the work, but I would be happy to provide a writeup of exactly what was involved this evening when I get home. I could definitely do a cleaner and faster job if I ever had to do a second set. There was a bit of trial an error involved to get things right. I think they turned out excellent, but there is definitely some room for improvement in the design.

Next project will be to rewrap some vinyl pieces in the trunk are that have some minor damage. Those should be quite a bit easier ;)

OP
OP
R

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the kind words. I am still questioning whether or not it was worth it. I guess I'll decide once I get them installed in the car...

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn...some of you guys have some crazy skills...I would not know where to begin when it comes to stuff like that..! Looks great!

OP
OP
R

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think half the battle is exercising a mildly insane portion of your brain. Having an "I don't give a **** what happens to these door panels" mentality helps as well :2tu:

DFW GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For reference, I ordered the vinyl from yourautotrim.com. It is a 4-way stretch vinyl that is very elastic. The color is "all sport black".
How does the grain of this vinyl compare to the grain of the original vinyl on the door panels?

Thanks,
Michael

OP
OP
R

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The grain texture is more aggressive than the stock vinyl, but IMO it looks great with the other interior components. There are so many different surface textures in the Viper anyway that it's not that important that the grain matches perfectly. The vinyl is a deep black with no hint of blue or gray. The stock door panels had started to fade slightly, so the new vinyl is a night and day difference.

An important quality of the vinyl I mentioned is the 4-way stretch characteristic. The vinyl is very elastic and responds well to heating. This is crucial if you are attempting to hand wrap a piece with compound curves (like the Vip door panels) without stitching a seam.

I was really just shooting for something that would look good with my Recaro pole position black leather seats. ;)

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked everywhere for a set of full carbon fiber replacement panels. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding a vendor. I'd still love to find a set one day. Maybe one day I'll get brave and try some carbon fiber fab.
Ive just found this pic of an interior done by Elete, Looks like they have done Carbon door panels ;)
[media]http://www.vipersbyelite.com/dsc07526.jpg[/media]

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The door panels turned out fantastic, my only concern is will the bottom of the door wear out where the seatbelt latch rubs against the door? My doors already have wear marks on the carpet there. And please post more detailed instructions.

OP
OP
R

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John. The short answer is probably yes. Although I will tell you that the vinyl I bought is very thick (much thicker than the OE vinyl) and should hold up for a good while. I have another problem in that my Recaro's rub the top of the door too! So I have to worry about that as well.

I'll post up a detailed how to soon. Still a bit busy with my baby daughter.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any detailed pictures of the work, but I would be happy to provide a writeup of exactly what was involved this evening when I get home. I could definitely do a cleaner and faster job if I ever had to do a second set. There was a bit of trial an error involved to get things right. I think they turned out excellent, but there is definitely some room for improvement in the design.

Next project will be to rewrap some vinyl pieces in the trunk are that have some minor damage. Those should be quite a bit easier ;)

I may try this with my sport bar pad over the winter. While its in great shape, a crack has developed about an 1" long and will only get worse. How did you re-attach the three sections of the panel? Thanks for the write up.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reason that the factory installed carpet along the bottom of nearly all door panels is to prevent scratches. I often notice that I touched the bottom of the door panel with my shoe/boot getting out of the car. When I use my foot to hold the door open I make certain that my foot rests on the carpet.

Ted

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you have hold the door open with your foot? Doesn't your hinge keep the door open? Mine does. :dunno:

OP
OP
R

rimmie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So the job started with ordering the vinyl from yourautotrim.com. As mentioned earlier, I ordered the 4-way stretch "all sport black" vinyl. Order as much as you think you need. 3 yards would probably be a minimum just in case you make a mistake. I also ordered a gallon of the vinyl cement. This is a must! Don't try to do the job with just a can of 3M #77 or #90. You'll most likely be sorry this summer with nasty bubbling. Some spray can adhesive (3M) comes in handy when you are wrapping the vinyl around to the back of the panel, but don't use it for the whole job. If you have a Harbor Freight close to you, pick up a heat gun and some disposable foam brushes to apply the vinyl cement.

Next comes the brave part. Disassemble your door panels and remove ALL hardware (all brackets, speaker grill, handles, etc...) While you could probably try to reupholster the door panel in one piece, unless you are a pro, getting the seams correct on the three section of door panel is very difficult to do. As an alternative, I actually took a cutoff wheel and separated the door panel into three pieces by cutting along the seams. I know I know, this is brave. You may want to buy an old set of door panels to reupholster and keep you stock ones in the original condition. Make sure to use the thinnest cutoff wheel you can so you don't remove much material from the door panel.

Now that you have the panel separated into three pieces, I carefully sanded any ragged parts of the cut down with my sander. A belt sander or orbital will work. Just be careful not to take off too much material.

Next comes the fun part, removing the old vinyl on the top two pieces. This takes some patience. A heat gun could help loosen up the factor adhesive. Just make sure not to overheat the panel and melt the vinyl. You could damage the panel! I got my heat gun from Harbor Freight. It is crucial to complete the job! Start at one corner and carefully begin pulling up on the edge of the vinyl. It will start to peel up in chunks while leaving behind a fabric surface that is perfect for the new vinyl to adhere to. Each piece of the door panel take around 1-2 hours to strip.

For the bottom carpeted pieces of the factory door panel, DO NOT attempt to remove the factory carpet. To carpet is backless and WELL adhered. You will most likely damage the door panel if you attempt to remove it. Take my advice! The panel looks fine if you simply adhere the vinyl over top the factory carpet. It actually looks nice and gives the vinyl some padding. This will also help prevent the vinyl from looking "dented" from hitting the safety belt latch. You will however want to take a dremel and carefully remove the carpet from the area where the speaker and speaker grill mount. If you lay vinyl over this area without removing the carpet, the grill my not fit after the job is done.

When reupholstering the panel, make sure the pieces are free of any debris or other damage that might show through the vinyl. Start by applying a good coat of vinyl cement to both the door panel and an appropriately sized piece of vinyl. You can be liberal on the door panel, but don't apply too much to the vinyl. If you saturate, it WILL MELT THROUGH THE VINYL! I found this out the hard way :mad: Once you have applied the vinyl to both sides, let the pieces sit for a few minutes to tack up. Make sure the exterior temperature in your work area is at least 50degreesF. The cement doesn't work well in cold temps. You can use the heat gun to help speed up the tacking process.

Once the vinyl has tacked, begin apply the vinyl to the panel. Press down firmly with your hands. For compound curve areas, this is where the heat gun comes in handy. Heat the area of the vinyl you need to conform to the curve. This will also reactivate the cement and make it tacky again. Make sure not to heat too much! You will melt the vinyl! You would be surprised at how far the vinyl will stretch when heated. Getting the vinyl to conform to the curves involves alot of heating and stretching. Reapply a bit of cement to both sides if the vinyl isn't sticking properly to these areas. You must have patience when it comes to the compound curves.

After you have the visible portions of the panel upholstered, you need to stretch and adhere the vinyl around to the back of the panel. Make sure the back of the panel is clean! Some paint thinner works well for this. You can use the vinyl cement for this job, but I also found that the 3M 90 spray adhesive works well for this job (from your local hardware store). After you have the vinyl well adhered to the back of the panel, trim the excess and check over your work to make sure the vinyl doesn't easily pull up anywhere. If you get nervous, you can use a bit of hot melt glue to glue down the edges of the vinyl to provide a little extra "insurance" against the vinyl pulling up on a hot day.

For the bottom (carpeted part) of the door panel, I used 3M 90 for the whole job. The cement doesn't work well over carpet, but the spray adhesive works great! As I mentioned, don't attempt to remove the carpet unless you want a nightmare on your hands. Make sure to liberally apply the adhesive to the carpet and the vinyl and let it stand for around 5 minutes to tack up. Follow the same steps as the other two pieces using heat where needed to form the vinyl to the compound curves.

Once you have finished all three pieces, reattaching the pieces takes some patience as well. You will notice that after cutting the panel into three pieces, a "lip" of material was left behind that can be used to reattach them back together. I used some short stainless sheet metal screws and a right angle screwdriver to drive the screws. The result is a very sturdy connection that can be removed if you need to reupholster a piece in the future.

Hopefully this will give everyone and idea of what is involved. Might be a good winter project if your ok with being without door panels for a couple of weeks.

rimmie

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do you have hold the door open with your foot? Doesn't your hinge keep the door open? Mine does. :dunno:

Mine works great in the garage, but not very well in high winds, severe angles, etc. Once in awhile the hinge detent needs help

Ted

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine