Finally have a Viper!

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After years of wanting one I finally have a Viper! I just picked up a clean 97 GTS 15k miles, Red with yellow wheels (also known as a McViper from what i understand) and no stories. Drove down to Indiana from Michigan to check it out and instantly knew that this was the one. Drove it back 6hrs home and loved every minute of it. I still can't believe its sitting in my garage. I would also like to thank VCA member steve-indy for all of his help. Super nice and knowledgeable. Ill post pictures soon and also plan on joining soon.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You picked a great day for a drive home!! I certainly enjoyed meeting you both...and, must congratulate you on choosing a fine Viper!!

I know that you will receive a warm welcome from the VCA's Motor City Club!!

Hope you can make it to the tri-club autocross at Tire Rack in July.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations, Be Careful, there is a learning curve to driving Vipers
but it's that nastiness, that makes them so fun to drive.

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations, Be Careful, there is a learning curve to driving Vipers
but it's that nastiness, that makes them so fun to drive.

Yes, I drove home very carefully yesterday and plan on taking my time getting acquainted with this car. I plan on keeping it 100% stock, at least for now.
I stopped to get gas twice on way home. Both times someone told me it was an cool car. But one guy asked me what year my stealth was :omg:. I thought it was funny.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But one guy asked me what year my stealth was :omg:. I thought it was funny.

Its OK to Taser someone like that. Its in the VCA bylaws. ;) You have to be a VCA member; but, I see you have that covered !

(It does surprise me on the rare occasion when I meet someone who knows a little about cars; but, doesn't know a Viper when they see one. However, they are pretty rare out in the wild.)

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a clean 97 GTS 15k miles, Red with yellow wheels (also known as a McViper from what i understand)

Congrats on the new ride. Pictures!!!

As far as I know, the term McViper only applied to the red '96 RT/10s with yellow wheels. For '97, there were only 14 GTSs with yellow wheels.

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride. Pictures!!!

As far as I know, the term McViper only applied to the red '96 RT/10s with yellow wheels. For '97, there were only 14 GTSs with yellow wheels.

Yes, This is one of those 14 Gts Vipers with yellow wheels. Im trying to post pictures but can't figure out how to. Im going to try later tonight again.

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is.
2011-03-17_12-43-07_209.jpg

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car!! Love the red, but honestly I can't get into the yellow wheels.

Well I would say 90% of the people that have seen the car agree with you, that they don't like the wheels. Honestly, I love them and im not just saying that because they are mine. In fact I also have a set of nice aftermarket wheels and fresh rubber that came with the sale but as of right now I have no plans on putting them on. But down the road you never know. It looks better in person imho.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the wheels on. Great conversation starters. Its history. Car looks awesome and 1 of only 14!!!

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the wheels on. Great conversation starters. Its history. Car looks awesome and 1 of only 14!!!

Thanks, I was thinking same thing. If i were to ever pull them off it would be if I was going to do a VCA autocross event or something, so i can protect them from any damage.
Other then that, this is only my summer weekend cruiser and local cruise nights.

kyleblix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I would say 90% of the people that have seen the car agree with you, that they don't like the wheels. Honestly, I love them and im not just saying that because they are mine. In fact I also have a set of nice aftermarket wheels and fresh rubber that came with the sale but as of right now I have no plans on putting them on. But down the road you never know. It looks better in person imho.

All that matters is that you like them! Congrats again on the purchase!

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after reading so many negative things about old tires I just ordered replacement tires for my GTS. Has original tires on it which look perfect, but date code is 1996. I Ordered a set of Kumho Ecsta xs tires.
Seems like they have some pretty good reviews from other owners and I plan on only driving it on dry pavement anyway.
I also have a set of aftermarket wheels with tires 1997 date code ( i thought they were much newer until i read date code). These tires have almost no miles on them and I believe they were stored indoors. I plan on doing 1 autocross event with viper club this year. Not competitive and just for fun. I've never done an autocross but I believe there will be no high speeds involved. I really don't want to flat spot or do any damage to my new tires or stock rims. Any opinions on how these old tires will do at an autocross? I would much prefer to wear these old tires out.