1996 Viper GTS Pace Car

TBenvie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am researching the various Indy 500 Pace cars and am finally compiling the 1996 info. I managed to compile the build data on all 1166 cars and found the cars in the New York zone had a code XKD-"Why Buy" label. What is this? is it permanently affixed to the car? Anyone have a picture of one?

Why do cars in some of the Detroit Zone have code YEP Manufactures Statement of Origin yet no others

One car sent to Mexico, VIN 1B3ER69E4TV201051 and it was an employee purchase. Interestingly, it also had a rear window defroster.

VIN 1B3ER69E6TV201102 is the only one that has code ACR
COMPETITION GROUP. I ran a history report and it says the car was imported from France to Baltimore July 26, 1996

VINs 1B3ER69E6TV201052-1058 were all shipped to Zone 16-Chrysler Corp with code 4BC-Marketing Public Relations Vehicle. I was told the Chrysler execs drove these at Indy but I can find no photo or other verification. Five of them also had California Emission (code YCF)

Vin 1B3ER69E2TV200903 is the only one with the code YCH Federal Emissions order Code. What does this code mean?

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is this information compiled?
PS, I am located in Bridgewater.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am researching the various Indy 500 Pace cars and am finally compiling the 1996 info. I managed to compile the build data on all 1166 cars and found the cars in the New York zone had a code XKD-"Why Buy" label. What is this? is it permanently affixed to the car? Anyone have a picture of one?

Marketing thing that is still used on all chrysler vehicles. On build sheet.

Why do cars in some of the Detroit Zone have code YEP Manufactures Statement of Origin yet no others

If you knew what MSO is and what it is used for you would know. Cuz those ones without it were not for sale.

One car sent to Mexico, VIN 1B3ER69E4TV201051 and it was an employee purchase. Interestingly, it also had a rear window defroster.

And your point is???

VIN 1B3ER69E6TV201102 is the only one that has code ACR
COMPETITION GROUP. I ran a history report and it says the car was imported from France to Baltimore July 26, 1996

Test vehicle

VINs 1B3ER69E6TV201052-1058 were all shipped to Zone 16-Chrysler Corp with code 4BC-Marketing Public Relations Vehicle. I was told the Chrysler execs drove these at Indy but I can find no photo or other verification. Five of them also had California Emission (code YCF)

So what exactly do you want??

Vin 1B3ER69E2TV200903 is the only one with the code YCH Federal Emissions order Code. What does this code mean?

The YCH is still used.

You need to do more research there bud. If you had would have found some of the info and would have found Jeff has a lot of this info already.

Do you have all the builds sheets for all 1166 cars in hand?

OP
OP
T

TBenvie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not own a VIPER. I am writing a book on the various Indy 500 Pace Cars-I have been fascinated by them and have collected data for ar east 40 years. I own a 92 and 93 Allante both used at the track for the race week, and a 92 Deville Touring used at the track by Cadillac Officials-one of 20. Had a pristine track used Eldorado but just sold it when I moved here.

OP
OP
T

TBenvie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Why Buy" label. label was only on NY built cars-looking for a picture and why it was used.

"If you knew what MSO i"-every new car has an MSO which is turned in with the purchase to the local DMV to get a title. I still have one from a 1970 AMX purchased while in the military and never turned in. My question is why are these codes only on select Detroit built cars

"And your point is???"-just posting the VIN for those that are into that sort of thing (like I am) and also a heated rear window is no doubt a strange option for Mexico, when many cars do not even have a heater

"COMPETITION GROUP. I ran" There are cars with a "Test Vehicle" code. This one had a Competition code-means something

"So what exactly do you want??" I would like some more info on these particular cars. Why were they coded like they were, were they at Indy or not, etc.

"The YCH is still used." Yes but only one one single Viper. Why?

"You need to do more research there bud." I believe if you actually read what I was looking for instead of the condescending attitude you would realize your answers do not match my questions. I have done a ton of research on all year Pace Cars and have the data and build sheets for most years of every Pace Car and dealer replica. Yes, I have the build info for every 1166 Viper GTS for 1996. Using this info has led to my questions. I had seen the "Why Buy" code before, but after compiling the sheets I found they were only used in the NY cars. I do not know Jeff, but by posting in the various forums the various experts for the car usually reply and help out to get things correct. For each year there are often myths and rumors, such as the actual Pace Car was the only one with a sunroof to be used by the photographers. Three cars at the track had sunroofs, and they were there for Speedway owner Tony George who monitors the line up of the cars for the three Pace laps, and if he doesn't like what he sees he waves them off for another lap to regroup.

When I finished the 1991 Pace car group I actually had some of the people who developed the car join and make comments. never said I knew it all, but by reaching out such as my post here someone way more knowledgeable than I responds and helps out with info

Here is the 91 group-and always willing to make changes so the info is accurate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21