Finally rode in a Viper....

allmotor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to my friend Ed's house who recently bought a Silver, no stripes 99 GTS with 8000 miles....Pristine..He had 3 TTA's 2GN's a 99 FireHawk and alot of cars but this was the nicest. He got a very expensive exhaust for the Viper and Air filters and OMG it sounds wicked. We drove around town, it had nice leather and A/C and I like the way the door opens from the outside. So he warmed it up for a while, everyone was looking at us and we went to the Crossbay bridge in Queens where he lives. We drove over the bridge so he could see if it was safe and On the way back we got up to 170!!!!!. We seen a hummer when we were waiting to run...that Hummer was going the same direction we were getting ready to. Ed waited like a minute and went and we caught up to the traffice with the Hummer in no time and it felt pretty stable as he slowed down to about 140 and cut threw about 4 cars ahead. Damn..I'm always scared when I'm not driving but I had fun and I am alive. Now he never took it to the track...what would a 99 Viper GTS with Exhaust, good tires and air filters run in a Quarter mile with a good driver.
Dan

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a joke? 170 on public highways outside of WY, NV, NB, ND, SD, etc? Over 150 mph in a Viper is said to feel a little squirrely, how did you feel stable at 170? How much of a gap was there between the traffic groups? Sounds like you only had 4 cars and a Hummer on the road. And you were cutting between cars at 140 mph...you would have lost control if those cars weren't very spread out. Not biting this story.

...and you think a Hyudai is fast?!? Bwahahaha

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently gave about 10 people who had never been in a viper a ride at the local street drag event. Every one of them was impressed with the acceleration.. and I have a Gen I even. I was surprised that the drag racers that I took for rides were so quick to compliment on the power, being that several of them run 10 second cars. All in all, a lot of fun for the evening :)

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
170 in a viper is nothing. i hit 145 mph in my ford lightning truck on a 2 lane road (in other words 1 lane for each direction).

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
170 in a viper is nothing. i hit 145 mph in my ford lightning truck on a 2 lane road (in other words 1 lane for each direction).

145 in a ford lightning truck is nothing. I hit 60 mph in my Mercedes Unimog on the freeway. :cool:

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's ok, you all are jealous because I've topped out my 82 hp Mazda at 105 MPH a couple times. :smirk: 1 lane each way, completely dry, clear of dampness and traffic.

Roadkill, how many gears does the 'Mog have?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to my friend Ed's house who recently bought a Silver, no stripes 99 GTS with 8000 miles....Pristine..He had 3 TTA's 2GN's a 99 FireHawk and alot of cars but this was the nicest. He got a very expensive exhaust for the Viper and Air filters and OMG it sounds wicked. We drove around town, it had nice leather and A/C and I like the way the door opens from the outside. So he warmed it up for a while, everyone was looking at us and we went to the Crossbay bridge in Queens where he lives. We drove over the bridge so he could see if it was safe and On the way back we got up to 170!!!!!. We seen a hummer when we were waiting to run...that Hummer was going the same direction we were getting ready to. Ed waited like a minute and went and we caught up to the traffice with the Hummer in no time and it felt pretty stable as he slowed down to about 140 and cut threw about 4 cars ahead. Damn..I'm always scared when I'm not driving but I had fun and I am alive. Now he never took it to the track...what would a 99 Viper GTS with Exhaust, good tires and air filters run in a Quarter mile with a good driver.
Dan
(Note to self: stay off the Crossbay Bridge).
Sorry, but you're bud's just plain stupid (won't mention where you are on that scale for being a passenger). The car's not the problem. The pavement IS. Forgetting for the moment the other traffic, one good pothole or nail and your bud owns a wreck. When you checked to see if it was "safe" you meant safe from police. That's fine, and I got no problem with driving above the limit (well...at least for adults) but that bridge is ANYTHING BUT SAFE! This is a parts car in the works!

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's ok, you all are jealous because I've topped out my 82 hp Mazda at 105 MPH a couple times. :smirk: 1 lane each way, completely dry, clear of dampness and traffic.

Roadkill, how many gears does the 'Mog have?

8 forward and 2 reverse.. Though 4 of the 8 gears are used under 5 mph ;)

Olivier Caza

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't had the chance to ride shotgun in a Viper yet...seems like such a nice car though!! Anyone in the Montreal area who would be generous enough to give me a ride!? ;)

-Olivier

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Citysnake's right. Having lived in brookyn all my life it is damn near impossible to miss potholes at 20mph nevermind 170.
When the car is toast email I could use a new driver side seat. Just put some plastic on it now so It won't be as tough to remove the guts!

MikeDGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was the worst part about owning a Viper. Everyone who rode with you wanted to see how fast it could go. I almost got into trouble a bunch of times. I did go 160 on a wide open bridge in FL, and it felt ok, but I wouldnt want to push it much further. It definitely did not feel as stable as a Lamborghini or Ferrari, both of which I have to taken to 150+ on the same bridge.

I have since taken a racing school and learned to keep those kind of speeds on the track. I agree that any imperfections in the road can be disastrous no matter what car you are in.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which bridge Mike? I hit 164 on the Gandy bridge at around 3 AM. Fun stuff!

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My very first ride in a Viper was after I signed the paper work to buy the car. I had never been in one let alone drive in one. I just love the car and new I wanted one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960