Finally saw a new SRT in person

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RUMOR HAS IT that a fellow from Ruston, LA stripped his rear recently pulling tens on a track in Florida, using slicks I presume, but stock.

My take.....Quarter times are VERY subjective depending on track & atmospheric conditions, & I don't pay any attention to them unless the posted times boast the same driver at the same track at the same conditions using an average of multiple runs.

Sylvan, no flame intended, but keep in mind the record 1/4 mile run is still had by a 2000 Rt/10 at 11.77 to a posted video of 11.87ish by John Myrick's (sp) SRT.

Apples and oranges. If I recall correctly, the RT/10 was driven by Evan Smith, arguably the best street car drag racer in the country. Give him an SRT and I would not be shocked to see 11.5 or better. All due respect to John, but even with his awesome time it is probably not quite what a "pro" would pull.

The salesman told me a little about it how it had an extra 50hp then mine had and some of the new cool features like the push button start. I was thinking to myself, I'm as lazy as they come and I'm not quite that lazy that I can't turn a key. But in reality I told him nice. The only part of the whole car that pleased me was the extra hp until I saw the price. The sticker price alone was close to 90k. I couldn't belive it. Who in the right mind would pay that much for this or trade a beautiful RT/10 or GTS for this.

You have to turn the key AND push the start button. More work than the GTS. Sticker price is exactly $83,795 - on all of them (and few owners actually paid even that). Sticker price on my 2000 GTS was $76,495. For $7,000 more you get upgrades galore, upgrades that would cost double that to put on your GTS. The brake system alone would be hard to duplicate for that price. And I, being in my right mind, did indeed let go of my stunning black/silver GTS for this more subdued SRT. Not a single regret.

While this has been rehashed a thousand times, here is my suggestion: See if somebody you know will let you drive their SRT around a bit. Mind you, if you are jumping from a '98 GTS with a lightweight flywheel, headers, Borla exhaust, lumpy cam, and all the other goodies, the SRT is just too darn "nice". But stock for stock you will be very pleasantly surprised, especially if you can give the car a little work out. I would also suggest you get a gander at these cars as they are rolling. When my wife saw an SRT for the very first time under the lights at a dealership, she was very underwhelmed. She asked why we got rid of the GTS for THIS. I was having second thoughts as well. Three months later and neither one of us would go back. It is an incredible machine and the looks are actually pretty darn good.

Chris

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, the traction control saved my hind end a few times as well. The Corvette was a well-engineered car with some lofty goals. My big problem with it was quality control - had quite a few defects to deal with in the short time I owned the car. It was a very frustrating experience.

When the car was running well, though, it was a real hoot to drive.

I am not particularly loyal to any brand or type of vehicle. As much as I like the Viper now, if I ever get tired of it I'll move on to something else. If they put a roof on the SRT, they'll have a buyer here! I think that car would look fantastic with a double bubble cockpit.

yep, quality control is an issue. to date, at 40k miles i have had the following issues:

- 3 transmissions
- 3 differentials
- 4 clutches
- headlamp cover broke off
- electric gas cap door release broke
- 3 pulleys
- column lock recall
- seat beat recall
- oil consumption (1qt/800mi) - replaced #2 rings
- clogged AC drain hose - caused water to leak all over PCM, almost frying the electrical system and PCM - would have fried it if i hadn't caught it in time

thats just off the top of my head. i'm sure theres more.

anyway, back to SRTs. i'm going to wait and see if the car will grow on me, and i'm also wondering what sort of issues SRT owners are going to have. only time will tell.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good debate that hasn't turned ugly thus far, good to see meaningful dialogue from Viper owners period.

As far as the apples to oranges comparos due to driver, I guess since that is all we have to go on those are the numbers we discuss. Similar to dyno numbers that seem to be a little out of whack when compared to others at other locations around the country, it's all we have to work with.

Now get Evan out there in your SRT Joe and lay down some better than 11.77 numbers and take the crown over from the GenII cars, I would be surprised if it didn't!

Keep us posted........

J P Jones

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be honest. We buy because we like what we buy. So anyone critical of what we buy, we debate. If you want to mod your car out...it's your money, but I bought a Viper because I was tired of mod-ifying my car when I can have 500 horses stock. And to those who say 500 is no big deal. Give me a break. Walk past the normal Joe and tell them your pulling 500/500 and see the smiles and wide-eye expressions. For the loyalist and racers...yes you can do better with an investment, but for the layman, like me, the SRT is beauty and power at the nth degree from an American builder (kind of American w/DC). To get the same thing "stock" would cost you thousands more. BTW, this is not a luxury coupe, or SUV or sporty import. It's the Incredible Hulk of cars with a facelift.

If you read I think it's the new Automobile mag this month...there's like 8 models of 911s and neither of them approach the Viper in 0-60 or hp for much more. :usa: