Fins on the underneath back of the car

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are these and do I need them? Do not like the looks of them. What is the best way to remove them?

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are these and do I need them? Do not like the looks of them. What is the best way to remove them?
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Seriously, you best leave them on if you can't drive 55mph...

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back into a parking space (that is beside a sidewalk) and make sure you back far enough over the curb...that is by far the easiest way to remove "fins".

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually put white stripes on the back of the "FINS" to make them stand out more! Now people ask where I got them and I reply, they are stock. Everyone thinks they are cool.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The "fins" are the rear diffuser. It does a very important job - creates down force for the rear of the car at speed. I'd recommend highly that you not remove them. Since they are black, they usually go unnoticed anyway.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually put white stripes on the back of the "FINS" to make them stand out more! Now people ask where I got them and I reply, they are stock. Everyone thinks they are cool.

Could you post some pics on the white stripes on the Fins?

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
fins are for underwater stability... Did you purchace the submersible option?

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like a few already said they provide downforce.
It works that way... Those "fins" keep the air-stream under the car a straight line. They kinda keep it under controle. This helps to get the air under the car as fast as possible to the back and behind the car.
The upper side of the car, especially the rear, like a flap shaped end works like a spoiler. It slows the air above the car down.
The air under the car being faster as the air above the car has a vacuum effect as a result under the car. This (almost) vacuum ***** the car to the ground.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll take a couple pics this afternoon and post them tomorrow. All my current pics make the fins look invisible:
10416MVC-048S-med.JPG

Thanks can't wait to see them. :2tu:

P.S. I love that strip! :headbang:

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldn't remove them :confused: thats the best part about the srt. Good looks and the fins work.
Max

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The fins can only be removed if you can get the tach to read zero. See post by lastmanstanding.
OR
Another thorough job of viper researching before purchase.
:eek:

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fins can only be removed if you can get the tach to read zero. See post by lastmanstanding.

lol :D

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are crucial to the high speed stability (straight line as well in turns). They smoothen the airflow exiting the car from below and aid in creating negative lift. Most race-only cars have a rear diffuser, just look at photos of the GTS-R and CC.

Now if you do remove them, I suggest you curb your speed anywhere north of 125mph or have a lot of runoff space in case of stability issues.

I would never remove it. Besides it brings out the racing pedigree.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This also elimanates the need for some kind of trunk mounted wing/spoiler. it works to create a low pressure area underneath the car along w/ all the smooth panels under the car, effectively pulling the car towards the pavement(downforce), as stated earlier not many street cars have this feature, but many racing cars do.

OP
OP
T

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay okay okay. You guys are tough on here. I just bought the car on Wed and know nothing about it. Never owned one prior to this either. As I gather from some of the responses I asked a stupid question. Anyway I guess the whole car is over the top so the "rear diffusors" will stay. They have kind of grown on me over the last couple days too.

For the individuals who answered with "real" advice thank you. I'll try to limit the stupid questions in the future.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay okay okay. You guys are tough on here. I just bought the car on Wed and know nothing about it. Never owned one prior to this either. As I gather from some of the responses I asked a stupid question. Anyway I guess the whole car is over the top so the "rear diffusors" will stay. They have kind of grown on me over the last couple days too.

For the individuals who answered with "real" advice thank you. I'll try to limit the stupid questions in the future.

Hang in there.... No question is a dumb question, although I'm betting most saw the combination of "Enthusiast", new user, and a Corvette based user name as a strong hint of a troll....

If you send Tony (the Forums administrator) a picture of your car and your VIN, he'll set you up as an "Owner" so folks will know you've stepped up from the balsa wood car :D . Tony's Email is: [email protected]. Welcome to the fun, be sure to check out your local VCA region at the following page: VCA Regions

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No such thing as a stupid question. And yes this can be a tough crowd(although well meaning and usually quite entertaining). Welcome to the wonderful world of torque. Drive it like you stole it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
05Z51,

Just sell the car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member