first 10 -> 10.88@129

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from the track with my first 10 sec run (slip below) not the best time in the world for my mods but I'm happy to have broke into the 10's
cool.gif
I drive like an old lady so don't be too harsh
laugh.gif
I'm sure with some more practice and some faster shifting mid 10's should not be a problem.

You must be registered for see images

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great run Mike, looks like your launching like a pro with that 60' time. I think low 10's are right around the corner for ya.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, good run and Great 60 ft. Glad to see your mph wnet up. i guess the heads picked up 3 mph right?
how does it feel to get a 10 sec. pass?
Any motor pass?
Congrats!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike -- congrats, great showing! Was this at Moroso? How are you launching to get that killer 60' time?

Silkey -- I'll wager that a 1.59 was accomplished on ET streets, not 18" rims & stock tires. Your easiest route to better traction is (a) line locks and (b) tires. I was also stuck at 2.0-sec 60's on stock tires until Doug Levin gave me a set of advice, of which most immediately applicable was "get line locks and warm up those radials". After doing that I ran consistent low 1.9s and one 1.8 on stock 18" pilots, and with practice I think I can get even lower.
Once you have line locks, a set of Nitto 555 drag radials on 17x10 or 17x11 rear wheels will knock an easy .2 secs off your time on radials, and they don't severely compromise your car's streetability. For the ultimate traction, get Purner's slicks & skinnies setup, with isn't fun to drive on the street but launches even harder than the DRs.

OP
OP
M

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guys
cool.gif

Yes it was at Moroso, I used ET streets & skinnies so that's why the 1.59 60'
supergrin.gif
Held at 4,000 RPM let up clutch and mash gas I was getting high 1.5X's all night. Probably could have got better 60's popping clutch or sidestepping but I feel that is too ******* the drive train. I did have the nitrous engaged but it has a window switch and will not activate below 3,000 RPM so it doesn't spray on the line but maybe 20-30 feet out, it happens so fast it really hard to tell when it starts to spray.

The ET's are a scary ride if your not "in the grove" it seems to drift to the right hand side, so I only got one clean run straight down the track, that was the 10.88

I didn't run all motor yet but my last run was sort of all motor because I ran out of nitrous. There was a little bit left but I don't think it helped much. That run was [email protected] w/1.72 60' I seem to pick up 9-10 MPH with spray verses motor.

xsmph yea the heads seemed to pick up 3-4 MPH in the 1/4 I have got a best of 128 BEFORE the heads so I figure on a good run I could get 131-132 MPH now. Keep in mind I trap abnormally low due to my shifting and moroso is also hot and humid. If the car was taken to a different track and a good driver used, I'm sure it could trap 135's it makes enough power for that.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie -- there certainly seems to be controversy on the topic, and I hear of people getting good results with both approaches. For me, at the track I visit (Sacto) there was definitely much more traction when I used line locks and heated the radials for several seconds. I got one 1.86 and two 1.92s using this technique on a track where my previous best was 2.01. This was in our stock GTS Daytona, not my Levin car.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES,

Conrats! There is alot left in your combination, keep up the good work.

As for burning out with radials, unless they are drag radials its a waste of time(my crappy opinion as usual)............
Reasons: The dragstrip surface is covered with a thin layer of rubber that is sensitive to temperature and a sticky compound tire mates well to it. A hard compound "z" rated tire will never get hot and sticky enough to adhere to the prepped track surface, and as a matter of fact, a street radial tire will destroy the prepped track surface by actually peeling the rubber coating off of the track during the burnout process.

A "dry hop" or scuffing of a stock type radial tire is recommended to clean off any rocks and debris before staging but thats it.

Again, nice run Mike. Welcome to the 10's.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to flame but I disagree about line lock and heating up radials, do a couple dry hops and leave hard and ride out the clutch a little it might take 5 or ten times but after that its easy. Try 2500 to 2800 slip it fast and 1.8 60' on a decent track should be no problem.I have run several 1.8 shorts on pilots and a friend of mine Mark Brown has run a 1.78 on pilots and I am talking about stock cars not supercharged.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried a burnout and no burnout on my pilots. My 60'time without a burnout was over 2.0 but after a burnout I got a 1.7 something. For me personally the Burnout is a much better aproach.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr Roof:
I tried a burnout and no burnout on my pilots. My 60'time without a burnout was over 2.0 but after a burnout I got a 1.7 something. For me personally the Burnout is a much better aproach.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and its a crowd pleaser!!
smile.gif

- eddie -

OP
OP
M

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have ran many times on radials and it's almost impossible to get good times. It's so inconsistent not to mention frustrating trying to run on stock tires with this much power, I can only imaging your blown Viper.

I think I'm getting use to the ET streets & skinnies. I made 4 runs on Sunday (Viper shootout) and they were all solid straight down the track runs. I'm going to the dyno tomorrow to see what it does, then off to the track Friday for some more testing. Looking for a 10.6
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
M

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I'm not going to VOI 7
shake.gif
good luck on your racing, I'm sure your going to lay down some impressive times with ET streets.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mes sorry to ask this question however here goes didn't Tom Welch run 10.47 @ 135 with stock heads and BTR nos kit. With heads and cam should you not be eting and mphing better than 129, or did you back off? Mes NO flame intend only asking.

OP
OP
M

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't know why but that's what I got
dunno.gif
I run the STOCK cam, I just did heads not heads/cam

Before the heads this is what I've typically ran
436 rwhp = 115-117 (bolt on's)
580 rwhp = 125-126 (bolt on's + nitrous)

now with the heads:

??? rwhp = 129 (bolt on's + nitrous + heads)

It's hard to compare what I ran at Moroso to what someone else ran at another track.