First Dyno Pulls- Very Unhappy

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got the chance to dyno my 04( bone stock) with 1700 miles. Dynojet- about a year old.

I did two pulls : Pull 1 408.84 HP 439.37 Ft/lbs
Pull 2 408.97 HP 442.91 ft/lbs

which translates to aprox. 470 HP and between 505 and 510 ft/lbs at the crank!

where is the power!!!!

Assuming the dyno is telling the truth what gives? Did not even reach the factory numbers.

Rich

8415graph-med.jpg

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two Mustang Dyno pull sheets with two different new stock '03s cars both were right about the same as you have. The sheets are copies from other peoples cars. But they is consistent with yours.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Definatly need more miles.

Also, weather can play a major roll. I gained 40 RWHP from 1100 miles and raining to 1800 miles and nice out.

rubbersidedown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple things to check before blaming the car- is the correction factor SAE, STD, or uncorrected (doesn't say on the sheet). A day with cruddy weather can affect uncorrected #'s quite a bit. The other q is did they sniff it with the wideband to test air/fuel (some of these cars have really crappy PCM cals). If so, please post results. What was engine temp, or more importantly IAT when you ran the car, as that can also affect your pull as well. Have seen some dyno as low as 390's stock (bad cals), but some 430's. Although the dyno is a great tool, we need to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

OP
OP
B

BLKSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point about the A/C- I am not sure. I was told it was SAE corrected. Engine temp was a little under 200 for the first pull- not sure about the second.

Next time I will have the air/fuel monitored- but did not this time.

Although the numbers looked bad the car pulls hard- seat of pants and hand timing to hundred mph puts it about as fast as my 500HP + supercharched C-5 - I also hit about 175 with roof and windows down.

Hard to believe that there could be 50-60 HP diferences between same year/engine- unless engine was malfunctioning.

Rich

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet the dyno was not opperated properly. Looking at your print out looks like no correction was used, if that is the case other things could be out of adjustment.

Go to another facility, your car will put down about 430-440 as an SRT-10 should.

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We dynoed a car and the exact same thing happened with the first 2 pulls. We let it sit for a few, and ran it again and the power went up to 440ishhp and 502tq. Comes to be that the car was never run a WOT before. The ecu needed to learn a new map. The next 3 pulls were almost identical.

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had disapointing dyno #'s on my 03 with around 1,000 miles. Weather was very humid and the A/F was off the scale. I sent the car to Woodhouse for an A/F computer. The car would barely start after that, very embarassing with the big beast coughing and wheezing. They said the computer was probably trying to flood the car. I took it out for a nice ride and ran it up to about 150mph in 4th. No starting problems after that. Put on K&N filters and same starting problem occured. Took it out for another 150mph run and it has been starting great. Time to take it to the dyno again to see if things have improved. There is something to be said for the WOT runs...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had similar results when we tested two '03's side by side. Mine had WOT runs prior to the dyno, the other had been driven very conservatively. The resulting dynos were almost 30 rwhp different. Disconnected the battery (reset the ecu) and he did a few quick runs around the block. Gained 20+ horsepower as I recall...