First track day at Portland International Raceway!

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently took the Cascade Sports Car Club novice track school and the subsequent track day. What a great time! The classroom was great and having JonB in the passenger seat giving me constant instruction/feedback was priceless. When I started the track day I was somewhat intimidated but, by the 4th session I was starting to feel like I could actualy drive my Viper at the limit. I still have a long way to go but, I am definitely a much much better driver even after just one weekend. JonB was great. He made me feel like a member of the "Viper Family" immediately. He even gave my friend and I rides in his beautiful and amazing ACR at lunch. I recommend any viper owner in the NW to come out and join us next time. The more vipers the better! If you want to be a better driver or even brush up on your skills the track is the place to do it. You will not regret it. Heck JonB even gave me a $50 credit at viperpartsrack! I also wanted to say I drove my Viper 200 miles there, ran it hard all day long and then drove 200 miles straight home with absolutley no issues at ALL! What an amazing car!

I look forward to seeing you at the track!!!! :drive:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill never forget my 1st time thrill of being on the track. Accelarating out of turns in 3rd or even 4rth gear with all that torque and fealing the perfect 50/50 balance when she briefly lets go at the limit... you quickly realize exactly where these snakes enjoy being.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GTSFE21, John: Good to meet you, and THANKS for the kind words. The fact that you had done some autocrossing was evident, as your baseline skills were not novice-green. You forgot to say you did a Rain drive here, and a WET SESSION on track!
Your PS-2 tires are a confidence-giver wet or dry.

As James, Paul, and others will attest, in the 'good old days' we could muster 25-35 cars from BC - South for a PURE VIPER track day at Portland....

Be sure to ping me w/ your name/address/etc. I would be happy to get in your FE-GTS again, any time: {But about that dark brake fluid........}

JonB~~~~:<~

OP
OP
G

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be changing the brake fluid out this weekend while I check my ratio. After that I need some new rims and/or tires for the track! :D

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSFE21, John: Good to meet you, and THANKS for the kind words. The fact that you had done some autocrossing was evident, as your baseline skills were not novice-green. You forgot to say you did a Rain drive here, and a WET SESSION on track!
Your PS-2 tires are a confidence-giver wet or dry.

As James, Paul, and others will attest, in the 'good old days' we could muster 25-35 cars from BC - South for a PURE VIPER track day at Portland....

Be sure to ping me w/ your name/address/etc. I would be happy to get in your FE-GTS again, any time: {But about that dark brake fluid........}

Yes JonB you are right, certainly miss those days. On several occasions we had VCA only events that drew from Canada, Washington, Oregon and even Rich B would come up from California just to show what a smooth driver with racing slicks could do!

JonB was also my first instructor in a slightly damp PIR. Thanks to him, I learned partial throttle, RPM matching and spun a couple of times while getting the hang of it. Thanks to the lessons I learned and lots of practice, track days and follow on instruction, I improved lap times by over 15 seconds a lap and was actually helping by instructing others that were new to the Viper world.

Welcome GTSFE21 and let us know your schedule, maybe we can coordinate and get some other Vipers to attend. We have been going to Lotus, Vette, Shelby and Tri-club days in addition to Continental and Cascade.

-James

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, James, making me feel OLD, but you Made My WEEK! Really......

Rev-Matching is an area that FE21 John is just learning....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude