Fix for hard 2nd to 3rd shift?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard others mention it as well although I could not find out if there is something that can be done to correct it or at least make it easier to shift from 2nd to 3rd when warmed up...ideas? Maybe a different tranny fluid?

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard others mention it as well although I could not find out if there is something that can be done to correct it or at least make it easier to shift from 2nd to 3rd when warmed up...ideas? Maybe a different tranny fluid?

I had the same problem. Put in a Hurst shifter and it helped quite a bit, although it's still not the smoothest shifting car I have owned. Hopefully, the new trans going into the '08 will be a big improvement.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting B&M shifter didn't help it. Thinking of it, the shifter only changes the ratio resulting shorter throw. The problem remains in the tranny.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does the same and i have the mopar/hurst shifter. I asked the dealer, they said its normal? The 1st to 2nd is very rough on my car.

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1st to 2nd shift is fine, just 2nd to 3rd when the car is warmed up. Anyone have any experience using Royal Purple tranny fluid to help the shifitng problems?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We run royal purple in all our cars. Be careful and do not go by their catalog crossover or web site crossover as it tends to be wrong. Call them directly and ask for the proper crossover fluid for the fluid in your specific year viper.

Royal Purple
Toll Free: 888-382-6300
http://www.royalpurple.com/
Email [email protected]

Our 2003 test mule uses the following:

ROYAL PURPLE 01130, 10W30, MOTOR OIL ENGINE OIL, 10 QTS
ROYAL PURPLE 01301, 75W140, MAX-GEAR DIFF OIL, 2 QTS
ROYAL PURPLE 01512, SYNCHROMAX TRANSMISSION, 4 QTS

Also a taller shift handle/knob will make a real big difference in how hard or easy your shifter shifts. George at MGW has 4 different height leather 2" shift knobs that fit the stock and Hurst/mopar shifter. You can see these on our web ste at: http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a problem with 2nd to 3rd when I first got the car, then I took a high perf driving course and the instructor moved me closer to the steering wheel and the problem went away for some reason. Seems that I was just sitting too far back.

The new position felt a little cramped for a while but now it seems natural and i don't miss any more shifts.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think most Viper transmissions are a bit "notchy" feeling, almost like a truck trans. You will get accustomed to it. I changed to the Hurst shifter and it helped a bunch. I use the MGW shift knobs and like them.

I also tried some different techniqes, like pulling your elbow in closer to your body before shifting from 2 to 3, "lining up" before shifing and this helps too.

I was fortunate enought to sit in and shift the 08 Viper's trans. All I can say is WOW, what an improvement.

Hope this helps.

Dan :2tu:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a problem with 2nd to 3rd when I first got the car, then I took a high perf driving course and the instructor moved me closer to the steering wheel and the problem went away for some reason. Seems that I was just sitting too far back.

The new position felt a little cramped for a while but now it seems natural and i don't miss any more shifts.

A really good point here as if you have ever looked at the in car cameras of race cars you will see that we all sit quite close to the wheel with our arms bent at the elbows This way your arms do not feel like lead weights after 100 laps.

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you really wanted a smooth T56, you can have yours rebuilt with micro polished gears and triple cone syncros, it will make it nice & smooth, it will also cost you around $1800

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you really wanted a smooth T56, you can have yours rebuilt with micro polished gears and triple cone syncros, it will make it nice & smooth, it will also cost you around $1800

Who does this, and secondly, is this waht is referred to as blueprinting a transmission?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
John Donato, Donato Engineering

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RPM transmissions, Rodney is the owner, real nice guy, & he has a 06 Coupe.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM has a product called friction modifier that thay use in their transmissions and axles. Has anyone have any reports on this product.

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is used for limited slip diffs, NOT transmissions.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I owned a NSX some guys added it the their transmissions which were notchy and they indicated it helped somewhat.