flamethrowers

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed flamethrowers in their exhaust? I'd love to hit the mystery switch and have a foot of flame blow out the sides :)

- Buzzzz

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, huh? That'd be sweet. I'm going to put such a kit on my future Viper for sure. A must have! *grin*

You must be registered for see images

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do they do, put a spark plug in the pipe? I've never seen one.

The few kits that I know of are exactly that - a sparkplug towards the end of each tailpipe. Throw the switch...and flames galore! *WHOOSH*

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah its a sparkplug in the pipe. I think you can't do it with cats though but I could be wrong. Do a search on google for "flamethrower exhaust" to find some pics. It's mean!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I remember a guy doing this many years ago on a pickup truck.
It did make flames but as I recall, it made a backfire that blasted the muffler off the pipe.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I remember a guy doing this many years ago on a pickup truck.
It did make flames but as I recall, it made a backfire that blasted the muffler off the pipe.

Heh-heh. Funny. I can believe that. It's important to have the placement of the sparkplugs right.

OP
OP
B

Buzzzz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh I know they can be done safely... just not sure if they work on the viper or not. I don't think there's enough room in my pipe for it. But my knowledge of this is pretty limited so I'm just curious as to if someone else has already done it on a snake

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geeze, my car does that anyway. Do a search through the forums, there were some post with so videos of a car at the Glen shooting flames.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How cool would it be to push a button and have big flames on each side? Two feet long would be about right. I'm not going to do it to my Viper, I'm not. I wish the car had it when I bought it. Then I could say, "hey, it already had it, I'm just pushing the button".
If I put it on then I would be the idiot. Geez, I wish I had this. I'm not getting it. It's just too crazy for someone my age.
If I had this on my Viper I'll bet I could get on the "Man Show" or for sure "*******".

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How cool would it be to push a button and have big flames on each side? Two feet long would be about right. I'm not going to do it to my Viper, I'm not. I wish the car had it when I bought it. Then I could say, "hey, it already had it, I'm just pushing the button".
If I put it on then I would be the idiot. Geez, I wish I had this. I'm not getting it. It's just too crazy for someone my age.
If I had this on my Viper I'll bet I could get on the "Man Show" or for sure "*******".

****. I say, just do it. Push the button, already. Heh-heh.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I saw, not too long ago, the guys on "Trucks", or "Hot Rod Tv", or one of those "Car" programs on either TNN or Speed Chanel, go through the actual installation of this kit. Of course, they make everything look simple, but I believe this is simple. A video of the program is probably available ??
Go for it.
Later,

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I seen the same show but as said earlyer that you can not do this with a car that has cats.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know I thought that the cat contains all flame action myself until last week I fired my cats up on my 97 thru 2000 headers and Roe 3inch Ovals.

Nothing aft of the car was connected, had my foot hanging out of the door (car was in the air a few feet), gave a nice 6K rev and pulled out quick, wham nice all blue flame on my pantleg, no joke.

Tried to take a pic of it but couldn't get the timing that well on a cruddy camera.

Catless must toss some serious BBQ lickers.......

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know for SURE that you can't use such a kit with a car that has catalytic converters on it? I have not yet read that the car has to be cat-less.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The flame thrower kit used on TNN was only for carbed engines only.

To make it work you would rev up the engine and cut out the ignition while pumping the throttle pedal. The flooding engine would push the raw fuel out the pipes where it would be ignited in the tailpipes by sparkplugs with their own coil. You would keep revving and cutting in and out the engines ignition system to make it work.

This type of system will not work with fuel injection.

You would need the kit that supplies propane for fuel in the pipes to light off.

Any of this make any sense?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
daffy- the FAQ at gotflames.net says the car can't have cats

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info on that. I've not actually checked out GotFlames.net (I'll do that). I've known of other kits, and they just simply had no detailed information on their websites.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to a few flamethrower shows...most cars have the exhaust sticking out at least a foot from the car - and none with sidepipes. The heat would melt the resin and paint on a Viper. With a sidepipe car I would never try it period. Like I said, every one I've seen had long pipes sticking out far so that the flames and heat wouldn't ruin the finish etc.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the low down on Flame Throwers: They are ******* your engine!

What they do is actually stop the spark coming from the coil = Raw unburned fuel into the exhaust system.

So it would work on fuel injection or carbs. On a Viper, you would get a check engine light. The O2 sensors would go nuts.

If you have Cats, this would not work. Raw fuel on your 1600 degree cats = BOOM.

The man BAD thing is raw fuel in the motor gets into the oil. This will break down the lubrication properties. It's OK for a Night Time car show, but not for a high perforance daily driver. You could trash the motor pretty quick.

There is another kit on the market. It uses a flint wheel to throw sparks. You can change out the flings very quick. They are only good for a short period of time. It uses an electric motor to throw the sparks (no flames).

Jerry Dobson

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. Though from what I read, it does not sound like it is how it works. It's a separate system entirely that simply uses the spark of a sparkplug to ignite the exhaust coming out the tail pipe. From what you wrote, I don't see how this can possible do all that you say. Makes no sense. I'm no expert, of course, so if it truly can do all you say, it needs better explaining to help me understand.

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I have wanted to put something on my 95 that will through flames out the sidepipes. But, instead of using the unburnt fuel in the pipes, I was thinking of using a propane set up that injects propane into the exhaust then you hit the switch for the spark plug and you get the same results without loss of any power and burning the raw gasoline. Just a thought, Paul.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I have wanted to put something on my 95 that will through flames out the sidepipes. But, instead of using the unburnt fuel in the pipes, I was thinking of using a propane set up that injects propane into the exhaust then you hit the switch for the spark plug and you get the same results without loss of any power and burning the raw gasoline. Just a thought, Paul.

Sounds like you could use that setup to strategically brown some rice! *chuckle*

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better yet go get an aceytlyene tank and hook that up into a **** in your exhaust system. The pipe in an oxygen supply line with regulator and you'll have an afterburner system like those found on F-16's...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960