Fluid changes and Maintenance Schedule

killerviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have 01 GTS with 22,000 miles on it. the service history is as follows:

Car sold to the second owner at 16,000 miles on the clock (person I purchased the car from) at Roanoke Dodge. All fluids changed before the owner purchased it and most likely all the maintenance and tweaking up been checked and performed. This was in the end of 2007

Since then the guy never tracked it, raced it. He put roughly 5000 miles on it till 2011. He only changed the oil and oil filter every 3000 miles.

Need to get your opinions on what fluids need to be changed. I looked at my owners manual and the intervals it states is from new. I.E. 7500miles/6months to 105,000 miles/84 months.

Deffo changing the oil, coolant, clutch fluid and brake fluid.

Not too sure how long the transmission/differential fluid can run? Any particular order of fluid importance? General mileage/year guidelines for each type of fluid?

Thanks guy, just want to get her in "fresh" shape... not that she needs it! :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Change ALL of the fluids !!!!

Also, I would suggest that you pick up a 2001 Service Manual...and have even MORE FUN as you get to know your Viper !

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have 01 GTS with 22,000 miles on it. the service history is as follows:

Car sold to the second owner at 16,000 miles on the clock (person I purchased the car from) at Roanoke Dodge. All fluids changed before the owner purchased it and most likely all the maintenance and tweaking up been checked and performed. This was in the end of 2007

Since then the guy never tracked it, raced it. He put roughly 5000 miles on it till 2011. He only changed the oil and oil filter every 3000 miles.

Need to get your opinions on what fluids need to be changed. I looked at my owners manual and the intervals it states is from new. I.E. 7500miles/6months to 105,000 miles/84 months.

Deffo changing the oil, coolant, clutch fluid and brake fluid.

Not too sure how long the transmission/differential fluid can run? Any particular order of fluid importance? General mileage/year guidelines for each type of fluid?

Thanks guy, just want to get her in "fresh" shape... not that she needs it! :)

Change ALL of the fluids !!!!

Definitely change everything. When I took my viper to my tech I told him "If it can be drained, change it." So Oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, differential fluid, and transmission fluid. It will cost quite a bit but as most say on here..."it's cheap insurance." Depending on how you are going to use the car will depend on how often to change the fluids. Someone told me about every three years if not sooner. The wizard suggested changing the differential fluid every year. I change my oil at the end of every driving season. I'm actually due for a complete fluid flush again.

Reaction score
Fluids are cheap insurance and you can check the internal conditions while you're at it. Coolant as mentioned above is always overlooked when people say all fluids were changed...

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto and definitely get the service manual. Ours had 21K on the clock, but still changed everything out. She's like factory new again!