Fluid replacements

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fluids in my "new" 97 Viper look kind of icky (technical term). I'm going to have the dealer flush 'em. I've heard lots of recommendations here on brake fluid, but I can't recall any on clutch fluid. Should I just have them put in a decent DOT4?

I'm going to get some speed bleeders for my brakes, so won't have them do the brakes. Do they have speed bleeders for the clutch slave cylinder?

Also, the dealer suggested a "motor flush" to the tune of $129.95. They said it gets the sludge out of the engine. Should I have them do this? Is it just some $5 additive that I could pour in on the way to the dealer and save $124.95?

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason I am detecing "Viper paranoia"

How many miles are on this car? If it is less than 20,000 miles, change your oil and be on your way.

Bleeding/changing clutch slave fluid....that is really overboard.

Even brake fluid...as long as it isn't dark...I owuldn't worry about it. Until 5-8 years ago brake flush was never even heard of.

I wouldn't have any motor flushed with that $5.00 a can stuff. Basically that stuff is kerosene.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I'd find it hard to believe that any engine running Mobil 1 and changed with any frequency would have "sludge" in the engine. Sounds like the dealer wants to make a little extra margin on the job.

In my opinion, a kerosene flush would do more harm than good. Even if you are sludged up, I'd just change the oil and filter (both Mobil 1) a few times over the next few thousand miles to clean things up with no risk of a spun bearing. That's what the detergents in the oil are for.... </FONT f>