Fluids for 98 RT/10

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did multiple searches and found all kinds of info, but nothing truly specific to fluids for a 98. I know there are differences in the tranny fluids people are using in various years, but what are all the 98 owners using for engine oil, tranny fluid, and gear oil?

Would be nice to have this in one thread? :)

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, same question(s) I had just a few months ago (am a Viper owner for the very first time, owning a '98 RT/10 like you :).....mine is silver, what's yours?), so welcome!!

I also did quite some research and ended up in going for the factory Mopar fluids. Brake and clutch Mopar DOT4, steering Mopar Power Steering Fluid MS-5931, Mopar MS-8985 for the differential plus Mopar limited slip additive (P/N 4318060AB), Mopar Antifreeze (green, 3 yrs formula) for coolant and Castrol Syntorq (Mopar P/N 4874459) for the tranny. As for the engine oil, I will go for Mobil 1 0W-40 (have not changed yet).

Hope I didn't forget anything?

Holger

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobil 1 0W-40, Mopar Oil Filter 5037836AB, Mopar ATF +4, Mopar Synthetic Gear Lube.

OP
OP
A

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, same question(s) I had just a few months ago (am a Viper owner for the very first time, owning a '98 RT/10 like you :).....mine is silver, what's yours?), so welcome!!

I also did quite some research and ended up in going for the factory Mopar fluids. Brake and clutch Mopar DOT4, steering Mopar Power Steering Fluid MS-5931, Mopar MS-8985 for the differential plus Mopar limited slip additive (P/N 4318060AB), Mopar Antifreeze (green, 3 yrs formula) for coolant and Castrol Syntorq (Mopar P/N 4874459) for the tranny. As for the engine oil, I will go for Mobil 1 0W-40 (have not changed yet).

Hope I didn't forget anything?

Holger

That is what I was thinking, but just wanted some to chime in to see what everyone else is doing. Thanks for the reply!

P.S. My RT/10 is Red. Love this thing!!!. :)

OP
OP
A

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing it in this weekend to get "Tatorized" at Tator's Garage. Only about 2.5 hours away from me so I figured what the heck, who better to bring it to than the WIZARD :2tu:

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bringing it in this weekend to get "Tatorized" at Tator's Garage. Only about 2.5 hours away from me so I figured what the heck, who better to bring it to than the WIZARD :2tu:

Man, wish I could do this, too! But unfortunately, there is no "Wizard" here in Germany :(

Holger

Oilman1934

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found out two days after I bought mine I lived 20 minutes from Tators what luck.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please ask the WIZARD, what grease they use/recommend when it comes to lubricate the ball joints of the suspension. That is something I still have not figured out yet. Maybe one can use any kind of wheel bearing or chassis grease but I am curious to hear, what product they use at Tators!?

Thanks!

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there can be debates on this, but here goes.
I switched to the synth tranny fluid yrs ago to minimize the NGR (neutral gear rattle), little did we know then that it can cause some paper filter/ringy thingy problems (which I ended up with). Shifting got "clunky" in 2/3 shifts in particular and even more so when cold.
I've since switch back to the ATF after a re-build. And I do recall this being a '98 specific issue.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know there can be debates on this, but here goes.
I switched to the synth tranny fluid yrs ago to minimize the NGR (neutral gear rattle), little did we know then that it can cause some paper filter/ringy thingy problems (which I ended up with). Shifting got "clunky" in 2/3 shifts in particular and even more so when cold.
I've since switch back to the ATF after a re-build. And I do recall this being a '98 specific issue.

That's really interesting! I have read somewhere, that they did a switch from Dexron III to Syntorq over the course of the 98 production year. My 98 RT/10 was put together in November of that year and it had a factory sticker on the tranny stating Syntorq as the factory fill and no other fluid to be used for refill. Maybe yours was one of the earlier cars of 98???

Holger

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 96 B/W and when I went to the dealer, I asked them what to use in my Tranny and they told me there chart stated Syntorq. I decided to go against there recommendation and I filled mine with ATF+4 instead.
My tranny on the side says Dextron III
David.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS