Foggy Windshield, help please :(

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so today it happened twice, I parked my car outside for an hour or so after driving it for a while. I come back out and my windshield is all foggy along with my side and rear windows. I start it and put on the windshield on full blast and after 10 minutes of waiting it clears up just enough to let me duck down and drive it home.

My a/c system has a leak (just found out today) but the heat and etc work great. Also when I park the car in my garage and then go to drive it, I get no fog. Only when I leave it outside. This is becoming a real inconvenience as I DD the car and the rain season has just started in Chicago

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
water is getting in your car. i have the same issue everytime i wash the car or it rains. your seals (weather stripping) may need to be replaced or the bumpers in the hatch need to be adjusted

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
water is getting in your car. i have the same issue everytime i wash the car or it rains. your seals (weather stripping) may need to be replaced or the bumpers in the hatch need to be adjusted

A couple days after each carwash the top of my rear bumper and around my license plate frame will get very dirty. Do you think that is the problem?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple days after each carwash the top of my rear bumper and around my license plate frame will get very dirty. Do you think that is the problem?

That is typical for the GTS. The rear spoiler or lip creates an eddie current or vacuum across the rear fascia.

What you need to look for is how water is getting into the car.

I know that you said the heater is working fine but the heater core could have developed a small leak. It doesn't take much antifreeze to fog up a window and will stay there for a long long time.

Good luck

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is typical for the GTS. The rear spoiler or lip creates an eddie current or vacuum across the rear fascia.

What you need to look for is how water is getting into the car.

I know that you said the heater is working fine but the heater core could have developed a small leak. It doesn't take much antifreeze to fog up a window and will stay there for a long long time.

Good luck

It only fogs up on days when its raining, I have made over 1000 miles on the car in the past 3 months and it has never happened to me except once a couple weeks ago, and twice today. I am 99.9% sure it is not coolant, the first time today I was driving, rolled down my windows for a few minutes, closed them up and within a few seconds my entire windshield was fogged up, so I had to blast the heat (which didn't help much)

I feel like its the heat of the engine coming into the interior, is this a possibility?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars aren't the most water tight. It could very well be rain water coming it from the cowl area. A couple years back my wife and I got caught in a rain storm. After about twenty minutes of driving in the rain I had to come to quick stop. When I did my wife got about a cup full of water dumped on to her feet.

I don't remember where to find it but there might be a TSB written on rain coming thru the cowl.

Which Viper do you have?

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars aren't the most water tight. It could very well be rain water coming it from the cowl area. A couple years back my wife and I got caught in a rain storm. After about twenty minutes of driving in the rain I had to come to quick stop. When I did my wife got about a cup full of water dumped on to her feet.

I don't remember where to find it but there might be a TSB written on rain coming thru the cowl.

Which Viper do you have?

I have a 97 GTS, and that water thing happened to me a while ago, I left the car outside for a couple of days and when I started it and moved it a ton of water spilled out from under the passenger side floor. I quickly got out and couldn't find where it spilled from so I just shop vac'd the water out and didn't have a problem since

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any other advice on this issue? It seems to happen now everytime I turn the switch from blue to red it instantly fogs up, even when its on the "O" dial

Last edited:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps. The dirt on the top of your bumper can act as an insolator, trapping heat and moisture in your cabin when it is normally vented through the rear license plate area. Best answer for that is not to let your car get dirty.

I feel like its the heat of the engine coming into the interior, is this a possibility?
Of course. These cars have a known issue with excess heat in the cockpit. This combined with your dirty rear end is probably your problem.

Here's the recommended fix: Shorten the front end of the car, Replace the ineffective 10 cylinder with the more heat resistant V8 5.7 litre. Then square off the rear end of the car to help with the heat escape. The resulting wedge shaped car will not have the heat related problems you are experiencing.

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps. The dirt on the top of your bumper can act as an insolator, trapping heat and moisture in your cabin when it is normally vented through the rear license plate area. Best answer for that is not to let your car get dirty.

Of course. These cars have a known issue with excess heat in the cockpit. This combined with your dirty rear end is probably your problem.

Here's the recommended fix: Shorten the front end of the car, Replace the ineffective 10 cylinder with the more heat resistant V8 5.7 litre. Then square off the rear end of the car to help with the heat escape. The resulting wedge shaped car will not have the heat related problems you are experiencing.

Thanks I will give the car a bath today hope that helps, and my corvette days are long gone never to come back :p

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, I recommend claybarring the inside and outside of your window. Then clean it really well and seal it with something like Adam's Glass Sealant. It doesn't fix the leak, but moisture will not "stick" as easily to the glass.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when my gen I had leaky thermostat housing gasket, My window would fog up, but Gen 2 thermostat is located all the way at the front. Check your coolant level just in case.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a possibility if a '97 is set up like my '02 (I don't know). Where the heater hoses go from the engine compartment into the footwell, the holes they go through are "sealed" with foamed rubber; but, I think that they are porous. At least in my case I spilled some coolant there when I removed the heater hose, and it went down into the air space around the heater core, and ended up on the windshield.

So, if when it rains, that horizontal surface in the engine compartmet pools with rainwater, it could find its way into the air space around the heater core and/or footwell. Just a thought. I'm going with the hint you gave that when you open the heater "door" with the selector knob you immediately get moist air flowing.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 GTS, and that water thing happened to me a while ago, I left the car outside for a couple of days and when I started it and moved it a ton of water spilled out from under the passenger side floor. I quickly got out and couldn't find where it spilled from so I just shop vac'd the water out and didn't have a problem since

This problem did not go away...

The only solution is to find out where the water is getting in and seal it. A garden hose may help. Remove the seat if you need to, climb in with a small flashlight and have a good look while your helper splashes the hose around...

(apparently, you've discovered that vipers do not melt when wet but the interior will fog up!)

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I should just buy a corvette because Slysnake was right, all it needed was a wash and now the problems gone.

I still can't believe that fixed it, the car wasn't even dirty, just the rear end

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be buying hatch glass gasket #4763 671 AB as mine was leaking...I guess it dried out the few years it sat in the garage on rainy days and of course I never noticed on sunny days. Of course since it was leaking in the hatch area on the drivers side and the lowest item there is the fuel relay....which blew with moisture around it. (Part #4848193)

I have had the issue of dumping water on my passenger's feet; she was not impressed.

Regards,
Aaron

SR 27

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Without the air conditioner working, it won't defrost the windshield properly. When the mode switch is in defrost mode, it cycles the a/c compressor which removes moisture in the cabin air. You probably have water leak inside the car, and without the a/c, the moisture won't be pulled out. Fix the water leak and the a/c.