for all those that want more HP....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed an alarming number of posts recently regarding folks "losing control" of the Viper. Posts asking if the car is "dangerous" or "unpredictable". Someone even called it the death car!

For you folks wanting more HP and keeping in tune with the Viper's raw imagine as a back to basics sports car - well, I can't see it happening if we keep up with these posts. It appears that there is a significant number of owners that are having problems keeping said car pointed in the right direction with the current 500 HP. Can you imagine 600 HP? I really don't want traction control on the Viper, but it appears that some folks NEED it.

What do you think is driving this?

I had a call a couple of weeks ago - long story short, a guy totalled his new-to-him SRT-10 by looping it in traffic, crossing the median and getting him by 2 cars in the oncoming lane. Of course the story I got was that he was just pulling away from a light - maybe getting on it a little to merge or something - no doubt about 40% of the truth, but his only question was "Isn't there a recall or something about these cars being uncontrollable?" i.e. "How can I blame someone other than my lack of skills" Of course in his case, he was uninsured and looking for someone to blame / pay....

Why are we seeing so much more of this? Especially since by all accounts and most everyone's personal experience - this car handles WAY better than the older cars.

I have 2 theories.

#1 - The dealers. Many more dealers are selling Vipers now. Dealers that are not familiar with the car and the performance characteristics. They just want to slap a $10K markup sticker on one and hit a home run when the next sucker comes in. "Sure, there are easy to drive. One of the best handling cars out there. Just 'Be careful' it has a lot of power." Now, not that the salespeople should be discouraging people, but let's face it - there are some folks that just shouldn't own this car. We discourage people from buying them all the time - sometimes it's just how they ask "How easy is this car to live with as a daily driver?" But don't ever expect these Johnny come lately dealers to REALLY try to match the car to the person.

#2 - The Buyers. With the car's "broader appeal", it's attracting a whole different buyer. They are asking the daily driver question ALL THE TIME. Heck, I can't blame them - I tried to use mine as a daily driver. I found it to be tame enough, easier getting into driveways, had a real trunk, a top that didn't leak, etc. For me and my climate, it was pretty good at that. But, I also had enough experience driving the "trickier" GTS, so handling was such a pleasant surprise, I never even came close to a loss of control on the street. And for those of you that think I drive like a wuss - you don't know me. I looped it twice - pushing for better times on an autocross and showing off on the slalom course at the SE Zone Rendezvous. And I REALLY had to push it to get it to come around. But not these new folks - they are looking for a car with a little better perfomance than their old Vette (traction controlled Vette) and they are shopping for different cars - maybe a C6, maybe a Viper. Or maybe, they've always wanted a convertible and the Viper is exclusive. (dons flame suit) So now, they are NOT the old GTS buyer and CERTAINLY not the Gen I buyer that was fully prepared to drive a race car for the street. Those folks WANTED a car that was a handful. They wanted a weekend car that only the most ********* enthusiast would drive daily. They wanted an untamed beast and were willing to put up with all the goofy idiosyncrasies of the earlier cars. They also respected the car's HP and torque. There was nothing out there like it. Now, with lots of cars having similar HP ratings (and we'll all just hung up on that number aren't we - but it's torque that bites ya!) we have people thinking the 2 cars should be compared. And, IMO, that's when you get the recipe for disaster. they drive the car like they drove their vette/mercedes/BMW, etc - the one with all the electronic driver aids that saived their butts when they put their foot in it. Or, more probably, didn't have the torque of the Viper. I fear these same folks are the ones that may have DC thinking that 500 HP is "enough". They've survived one lawsuit about the Viper's inherent danger (remember the Mario Andretti testimony?) and can't see that they want another.

They are in a difficult place - us pushing for more HP and the new market segment crashing these cars at an alarming rate - even after they seriously improved the handling. What do you do? At this point, I can see that they'd be having a struggle with the HP vs electronic stability aids dilemma - one that is likely to divide the Viper loyalists and HP junkies, too.

So, don't be surprised if you find me less than friendly to those complaining about the handling of the car (like the guy on the phone looking for info to sue D-C!) and don't be surprised if you see me discouraging more folks to buy - unless they meet the ******** enthusiast specs. I want better performance, handling and torque, but I don't want the electronic babysitters that might have to come with it - unless - like ABS - they can prove to Herb Helbig that it will consistently lower his lap times and not just add it for the lowest common denominator driver.

FWIW.... and she stands at the ready for ridicule. :)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni you are on point. Now that I have had my GTS for 6 months and have some stick time in the car, I still do not feel confident in driving it on the edge on the street. Plain fact of the matter is that unless you are going in a straight line, the car has the ability to bite you in a violent way. As a lawyer with sensitivities to product liability, I have to wonder about selling such a vehicle with no required training or even any special warnings. I was talking to guy who bought a beautiful 98 GTS, let his uncle with high-performance driving experience drive it and the uncle proceeded to crash the car. Luckily no one was hurt, but a reminder of what I'm talking about. My Dad, being the sensible Porsche driver he is, hasn't even driven my car yet for fear of the mighty Viper power. A Viper is not like a 500-600hp AMG car with 10 kinds of electronic helpers to keep you on the road. Honestly, selling a non-electronic nannied car with 600hp seems like insanity to my lawyer sensibilities.

OP
OP
Janni

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" goofy idiosyncrasies of the earlier cars."

OUCH!!!!

Don't OUCH!!!! - that's why we LOVED them and perhaps they scared off the folks that wouldn't be *********! They were a "good thing"! :laugh:

OP
OP
Janni

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I was told that to finish first, you must first finish.

See T. Archer's Speed GT Championship year.

Reaction score
The Viper is a fantastic American Sports Car with among the best handling characteristics of any car in it's weight category. The Viper is considered defective by drivers who pretend or worse think they know how to drive but in reality are clueless. Attorneys have visited this site looking for help to misdirect blame for the actions of a driver with poor judgement, no commonsense, and or no understanding of driving. These same drivers blame a bartender for getting intoxicated and credit card companies for their debts.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I Think they should increase HP and offer a defeatable traction control and a HANDLING CONTROL. When I have tracked my Z06 I have left both of the nannies on and they saved me a few times when I would've gone off track or spun. And my car has only 405HP.

My first time at the track I saw a Graphite or Steel GTS that was on slicks and trailered to the event go into a spin off track. The car wasn't totalled but he got a lot of dirt and debris insidde his car, and if there was a wall there he could have injured himself. Also the guy was an experienced driver and one of the instructors there.

The electonic nannies add virtually no weight can save your a$$ on the street or track and can be turned off - so why would anyone be oppposed to them? Also I have driven the RT/10 in a sudden rainstorm and it was one of the slowest scariest drives home of my life.

Mercedes has excelent systems in their cars that can be shut off. Also if someone was so opposed to it the system could be physically removed from the car as Many Z06 drivers do in Factory T1 racing.

I for one would want the system in place so I could track the car - so I don't agree that the nannies mean you are not ********.

If it is made for the car it can be shut off/removed. It cannot be added aftermarket.

In the Z06 there are three modes:

On- Both Traction and Active handling are on
Off - Both are off and you are no different than a Viper
Competition Mode - Traction control is off and Active handling is left on, allowing for wheelspin but still able to sense and correct if the Yaw sensor indicates that the car is going to go off road or spin.

And remember the Z06 doesn't weigh 4000lbs like the Mercedes it weighs considerably less than the Viper at 3118lbs so these systems do not pack on the weight.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,

Many say the SRT10 is more comfortable and user friendly than the previous Vipers.... So maybe owners are driving them more often, and in colder weather. And cold pavement + Viper = Mistake waiting to happen. Your average Joe Smo Viper owner probably doesn't realize the HUGE limiting factor of cold tires + cold pavement.

Just a guess.....

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
14 degrees here in southern Indiana today. I drove my 04 to work and back. No crazy spinouts for me. It just takes a lot of respect. No doubt it could bite you if you aren't careful.

Dirk

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, I agree with you. I have a really good friend that ownes a vette. He likes to play around on the street from time to time. I have seen his traction control "save" him several times. I would be nervous to put him in a car that could bite him in the ass. :crazy:

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess i'm one of the few who think it's actually pretty hard to get the back end out from my SRT. I'm sure the stock gearing has something to do with it but those 345's sure do the trick! Much more difficult to lose than my 400 rwhp vette.

Also i know my Viper doesn't have traction control but i guess there is some sort of limited slip to where it gives me a heads up when i feel the power shift to the tire that needs it most. My Vette just spun like crazy.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I Think they should increase HP and offer a defeatable traction control and a HANDLING CONTROL.

Mercedes has excelent systems in their cars that can be shut off. Also if someone was so opposed to it the system could be physically removed from the car as Many Z06 drivers do in Factory T1 racing.

In the Z06 there are three modes:

On- Both Traction and Active handling are on
Off - Both are off and you are no different than a Viper
Competition Mode - Traction control is off and Active handling is left on, allowing for wheelspin but still able to sense and correct if the Yaw sensor indicates that the car is going to go off road or spin.

I agree! The new coupe (and the SRT for that matter) needs to have defeatable active handling and more HP. When I had my Vette, I left traction and AH on most of the time, and that is what would save many inexperienced Gen III owners from catastrophe in their "learning" stages. It's a shame to let GM outdo the flagship DC cars with the new Z06 for want of a few more ponies (easily achieved) and the means to save the inexperienced enthusiast from him/herself!

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom line IMO is that the viper is not a car for everyone, even among car enthusiasts.

There are no laws preventing anyone with a driver's license and sufficient capital from owning one any more than there are laws from preventing anyone with reproductive organs from becoming a parent (sorry if that comparison offends anyone...but still a valid one).

There should be a black box warning with these cars that suggests a certain amount of performance car driving be required before purchase or that actually requires taking such a course. That wouldn't increase sales though which is what it's all about.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with those that favor the active handling/traction control systems. I has nothing to do with "********" or mojo but does have everything to do with safety and good sense. Just as a seatbelt or air bag will save your tail, so will the AH/TC systems. These systems are passive and could be switched off if the situation demands it. It requires nothing from the driver to perform its functions and can make you look like a hero when you error. With such good technology available, D-C should use it in the Viper. It will prevent body damage to both car an driver.

Reaction score
There is no law preventing irresponsible people from buying cars or trucks.

I do not want control taken away from me. It has nothing to do with ********* or mojo, it has to do with the enjoyment of performance driving. Many people complain about guns and want gun owners register, to pass safety test and use testing. I consider a Car Truck Bus Boat Plane all potential lethal weapons. Like guns I advocate responsible ownership and use. You can not make laws to protect society from irresponsible people or their acts. Encourage Gun owners to learn gun safety and drivers of cars to take Driving Schools that teach driving(car control, vehicle dynamics) leave the driving rules for licensing.

What is wrong with the Viper? Nothing! It is the driver that controls or fails to control the car.

Want car control? http://norcal.viperclub.org/event_detail.php?event=1106001337

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the Viper needs about 650HP, and I'm happy to live with traction control for newbie drivers and poor weather.

As far as control goes, the first year that Porsche built the 911 Turbo halfof them were totaled in the irst year! :eek:

It took years for the Viper to get ABS, but I don't think that most owners regret that feature today.
As long as the driver can switch off the electronic nannies, they will be valuble tools as the Viper gets gobs more power. And will protect the novice driver from themselves.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm all for gun control- Just hold that pistol grip tight!

It was quite a while before I learned how to power slide in a turn. It wasn't taught to me at ViperDays! Should be a part of the "curriculum"!

When my car was brand new, the first few times I got on it hard, I didn't have the wheel pointed straight, and the rear end started to come around. At this point, I would get off the gas suddenly, then the rears would quit sliding, bite the pavement, and the sideways sliding would abuptly stop. This transistion was so abrupt, it was like whiplash, and could cause the car to end up pointed all kinds of odd directions! Snap oversteer, or understeer, depending on how you look at it.

Soon I learned how to keep the wheel straight while spinning the rears. Much later in my "Viper experience", I learned how to power slide out of a turn, by staying on the gas, letting the rears spin judiciously, and feathering the throttle while countersteering. What once was a risky scenario beyond the ragged edge of traction, soon turned into child's play. But it took a little experimenting on my own.

I think this skill should be taught to every Viper owner when they buy the car. We would see much less "I was just minding my own business, and this "unsafe" Viper just slid right off the road" type of wrecks.

OP
OP
Janni

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
Your reading comprehension is lacking - I want power but I DON'T want the gadgets. I want smart, responsible owners that understand you don't drive this car like a Taurus and I want dealers who don't slap new owners on the back and say "go get 'em" without so much as a word of warning about taking it easy until you feel the torque.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
Your reading comprehension is lacking - I want power but I DON'T want the gadgets. I want smart, responsible owners that understand you don't drive this car like a Taurus and I want dealers who don't slap new owners on the back and say "go get 'em" without so much as a word of warning about taking it easy until you feel the torque.

Wish in one hand..$hit in the other... let me know which one fills up faster.

I'll take the car however dodge delivers it, with as much power as they will give me... just MAKE SURE its more the 500, cuz I wanna whoop up on SRT-10 convertible’s and Z06's.

Sorry on my reading comprehension, mixed with sarcasm, and hearing a woman whine, it really gets screwed up... lol....

If you took any of that seriously, then you must be having a bad day....

I'm with ya.

Jon

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni,
I understand your point, and in a perfect world, I would agree. However, the fact is that salesmen are going to deliver a Viper to anyone who can pay the price. Many buyers will almost always overestimate there own driving skills and resent the idea that training is necessary for them. In this day and age of lawsuits, D-C may have to reconsider its position on passive controls as the demand for horsepower increases. Power and acceleration are adictive and we never seem to have enough.The sad fact is that most people are not responsible or capable drivers as you are, and we cannot dictate who may or may not purchase a given vehicle.

GTS234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, You made a good case for how goofy the real world can be these days (people that can't/won't take resopnsibility).

The best tip I got when I bought my car was from the original owner. He made the comment about how these things sure would try to spin around on you if you weren't on your toes. And this came from a guy that has had many strong street and street/strip cars over the years (as I have). He said he found out about this while messing aroung in a vacant shopping center parking lot while riding his son around, so he didn't get in a dangerous traffic situation at the time.

From that, I got the idea to try the same thing and get some seat of the pants input for myself. I took the car down on the infield pit roads of the Speedway I was managing at the time, and I just went at it. Left hand, right hand, both, gassing up and finding out what the edge (and beyond) felt like. Spins, 360's on the gas, and eventually good feeling, controlled wheelspin up off the corner and on to the next turn. Marked up the pavement like you wouldn't believe, but boy, what good experience. Have done it since just to refresh. Very valuable for on road driving.

My point is, without being warned (like you mentioned about salesmen saying "go get 'em"), I might have found the edge in the wrong situation (traffic). And the fact that finding the edge in a safe environment, and knowing what you are feeling is invaluable. Viper Days, a parking lot, something. These cars are pretty serious stuff. That's what makes them so much fun to own.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DC markets several monsters under the three-pointed star that have as much or more HP/Torque than our beloved snakes. They have traction control and active handling features that help keep amateurs' shiny sides up. What I don't understand is the bias many Viper owners seems to have against any form of "gadget" or intervention by the car's computer. As long as there are selectable levels and/or a defeat control, what in the world is lost by tying the ABS system into a well-designed active handling system? A few points on the macho meter? Spare me...

If DC doesn't add electronic stability controls to Viper, we will continue to see a significant percentage of new drivers folding them up on the highways. And, more germane to recent issues here, I believe DC will not (and should not!) increase HP to stay ahead of the competition without delivering these machines with the same levels of protection for the neophyte as the rest of their performance line.

Reaction score
The Viper was conceived with the spirit of the AC Cobra. You talk about a handful! No frills do windows just massive power to weight. To bring the Cobra spirit back many safety features(crash crumple zones, side door bars, etc. ) and emission standards were required. Result GEN one! Those who loved and longed for the AC Cobra saw the Cobra Spirit and wanted the Viper!

The ABS systems of the early 90's could be out performed by good drivers on dry pavement. As ABS improved and the Viper owner base expanded ABS became a reality and improved the performance.

I like controlling the car and have observed guys in Corvettes at Open Track Events complaining about its Stability Control taking over and in threshold braking(ABS controlled) trail braking situations.
I concerned about a system being added to the Viper that could not be turned off. The Viper is not a sedan to be driving in all weather conditions, it is/was a back to basics sports car with good old American Muscle. And that is what I want for a Viper!