for all those that want more HP....

OP
OP
Janni

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my concern - and it's akin to Fred's...

Most systems allow a couple of "modes" and an "off". But lots of time, off =! off and it will kick back in when extreme whatever is sensed. There was recently an article in either Autoweek or C&D with detailed instructions on how to REALLY turn off the Mercedes system (and it was NOT accomplished by pushing the off button.) They needed to completely disable it to get their best slalom and skidpad numbers.

I don't want this car designed for the lowest common denominator driver. I know that's not a nice thing to say, but I don't. I want it to be a handful and I want it to reward you for learning to drive it well. I don't want it dumbed down so that Mr Mid-life Crisis Combover dude can walk into the Dodge dealer with his bimbette du jour, trade in his E400 Merc and drive out in the Viper - driving it the same way. Let him go get a Crossfire. Or a regular C6. But not the Viper. The Viper should be loud, obnoxious, and yes, scary enough that the bimbette won't like it - it'll **** out a lot of folks that are buying the car for the wrong reasons. Buy it because it's a performance machine - not your wingman. ;)

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Janni. I see folks in performance cars that seem to chant the Rainman mantra "I'm and excellent driver," with no basis in fact. It takes education and practice to drive well and the fact is that the Viper is so competent that wen you do exceed it limits you are already carrying a bunch of speed and power to magnify your mistake.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, Janni, I'm not buying it. Yes, it's nice to be able to say "we've got the machine that you have to LEARN to drive. It's a brute and won't forgive your neophyte exuberance. You pay to play. Etc. etc." But the fact is, DC may want to give us the HP to stay well ahead of our competition, but I just don't see them increasing the HP without protection (selectable, of course) to protect the Viper newbie from his/her own exuberance. The price in terms of wrecked SRT's and coupes is not worth it... Gotta have computer intervention (again defeatable, and I mean totally defeatable) for the enthusiast who still needs to be saved from themself. At least until they can get the time in on the track with instruction needed to ensure survivability of life, limb, and body panels.

Reaction score
Janni-Agree 100%

DC please make the Firepower with all the latest gismos to keep the, want to have a very nice sports car, but do not want to be responsible for driving it and or lean how to drive.

But to put electronic controls in the Viper is plan silly. It is a back to basics King of the Hill Sports car. Where is the logic give me more power then take away my ability to us it.

Please No Training Wheels!