For those of you with a B&M short shifter.....

nkbrkr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The question I have is the actual shifter throw shorter? If you had the same knob height on both (so a short knob on the original) would they have the same throw distance? I just ordered one and saw a side by side comparison and the B&M has a longer lower shaft that goes into transmission, is this going to move the shift farther with less top travel or is it going to just stick through the hole in the shift arm inside the tranny farther????? Just trying to figure out if it is going to be much different than what I already have (MGW short knob) before doing all the work to install.

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the B&M with a MGW knob

it is much shorter than the stock setup but I'm not completely sure on the throw length
my guess is that the longer lower shaft will shorten the upper shaft throw

I have never driven a Viper with a stock shifter but I love my short throw and can't imagine not having it
I think the stock shifter would feel like shifting an old truck trans after driving with the B&M/MGW setup

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I've read both the throw is shortened via the linkage and the shaft is also shortened. It's on my mod list but I don't have one yet, so I can only regurgitate what I've read.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last Gen 1 had the original shifter. I have another gen 1 now with the B&M .... Much better!! Definately not just a knob change.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The throw is shorter but more importantly it makes shifting much "stiffer" and precise. No more rubbery feel to the shifts and its near impossible to miss 3rd gear. I have the HURST but am assuming they operate the same. Also, the integrated HURST shifter shaft is longer than stock so even my shorter MGW knob was taller than stock with stock knob. I had to get a knob made with no shaft, just a knob. The B&M might be the same in this respect, but I am not sure.

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
b&m changes the pivot point and also has stops built in so no internal damage to trans.install it you won't regret it..

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nkbrkr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, my B&M will arrive today and with everybodys consensus here I will be installing it. Even if the throw is the same distance it sounds like it is still crisper and more precise which is what I really want, but an even shorter throw than I have now would be nice as well! :drive: I will also give an update after I have installed and driven it.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing the shifter from the bottom (rather than the top that the instructions indicate) is much easier, less messy, and requires no drilling.
Illustrated instructions found here-->shifter installation

OP
OP
N

nkbrkr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, got the B&M today ripped the whole car apart and ended up installing from the top. Not really that difficult, hardest part is just drilling out the rivets, and finding a way to put it back together!! No one around here really had that size of rivets. The only thing I can say is WOW!!! What a difference! I was actually able to use my MGW short shift knob and it worked fine. I took the nut off of the B&M and replaced it with 2 heavy washers to let it sit down a little farther. That shifter is awesome! I didn't even know what I was missing. The shift is way more precise and feels more race carish! Get on it in 1st and click, click into second! AMAZING! Measured the knob in neutral and with the original shifter was 4.25 inches from the edge of the shift boot to the top of the shifter knob and with the B&M it is about 4. Did not measure actual throw from 1st to 2nd but it is a little bit shorter than stock. But the feel is what is so much different, it's like it knows where the gates are!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your gonna do the change out from the bottom (dropping the trans) you should also put the poly trans mount in. I love those mounts. Ive got the motor polys also. Never miss a shift again and much better. Got the B&M also... total package.

150 I think for the poly trans mount. Instal time is the same as the stock, just swap. My .02 cents.

:usa:

Black Mamba 47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work for Snap-on tools and our part number for the tool and rivnuts is HP650m. That will have everything you need except the bolts. You can get it online at snapon.com or talk to a shop in your area and they can steer you too the Snap-on franchisee that services them. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960