For those that are catless.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. My situation in this. I was running catless for a while, and liked the sound and decrease in heat (interior + sills). But I couldn't stand the exhaust smell. What I didn't realize (at that point) was my vents in the trunk area were out of place, allowing the exhaust gases to be sucked back in the cockpit when the windows were down or cracked open. Therefore, I switched back to stock cats. This reduced the exhaust smell a great bit, but it was still there until I finally figured out/corrected the vent problem.

Now that I've got the vent problem fixed, I was considering trying catless again.

Soooooo - For those that are catless, do you experience fume/gas smells in the cockpit? In other words, after a 30 minute drive do your cloths smell like you've been stuck in the Holland tunnel?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since i removed my cats, i can definatly smell gas fumes and my clothes tend to smell that way as well. What vents are you talking about?

Im hoping once i get tuned on the Vec2 this will be resolved.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since i removed my cats, i can definatly smell gas fumes and my clothes tend to smell that way as well. What vents are you talking about?

Im hoping once i get tuned on the Vec2 this will be resolved.

The Vec will definatley help with the smell...seeing as these things run pig rich stock.

Mine had a strong smell, until I got it tuned.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 01 runs sooo rich stock that people i drive with complain that they cant follow me. I dont smell Anything unless i come to an abrubt stop or drive backwards.

that is with cats on

ill be taking the cats off tomorrow & i expect flame balls to shoot out the back downshifting @ 5000

i am very curious how much more power there is to make out of a correct A/F ratio lol

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
headers & cat removal is done. yep it smells bad with the windows down. allot more power & sound too!! very happy. now i just need to get busy & fix the vents. thanks for posting the link. I didn't get a chance to dyno but the seat of the pants feel tells me that the whole range picked up 20-50ish removing cats and going bellengers. removing the cats and adding headers leaned out the A/F quite a bit. more air is definitely moving.