For those that knew, "Ed Big Daddy Roth"...

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that knew, \"Ed Big Daddy Roth\"...

I know some of you remember the famous "Rat Fink" character of the 50's and 60's. I thought that you might want to know, Ed passed away yesterday. Kind of personal for me as we had just talked to Ed about our little "Spring Fling" to raise money for Jenny Smith. A two year old Cystic Fibrosis victim.

Ed was so kind to bend many rules, making us a special Cobra drawing, then releasing all rights, that we could make our banners, T-Shirts, etc. All he asked for in return was a few copies of what ever we made.

I received his drawing of our Cobras last week. As much as I would love to keep it, we will hold true to our original plan and auction it off at the "Spring Fling."

You must be registered for see images

"Bid Daddy", your kindness and your talent will be missed.
DV

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: For those that knew, \"Ed Big Daddy Roth\"...

Wow, sad to hear. I sure remember "Rat Fink", and have several RF items of memorabilia that I really enjoy. Ed's work was truly innovative and creative.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A true Icon of the Hot Rod era is now gone! His artwork will live forever, what I remember most about his drawings and art was the long shifter sticking out of the car and the slobbering driver wanting to go faster and faster. Just like i your post with the Cobra! Long live Rat Fink! Big Daddy, you will be missed!

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not too long ago, I attended a car show and found Ed Roth sitting in a small booth outside with some of his T-shirts and other things for sale. I instantly recognized him although it had been many, many years since I had seen him. As a teenager, I remember his wild creations and the Rat Fink art. People were pretty much walking by his tent unaware of who he was and I delighted in talking to him for a few minutes. He seemed happy just to be alive. Ed, you made your mark with your wild creations and you won't ever be forgotten. Now, if I can just find that Rat Fink sweatshirt I bought in '62...

OP
OP
D

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay Leno mentioned his passing last night. Said his funeral procession would be going at 125 mph...

I think "Big Daddy" would have liked the joke.
Dv

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I met him at a big Rat Fink Reunion and he was a genuinely nice guy. He has left a tremendous legacy behind him with the likes of George Barris and Von Dutch (Barris is one of the only ones who are alive from that era).

God Speed Rat Fink.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Last year my son was competing in the " World of Wheels , " car show, and Big Daddy Roth was there and I had a lengthy conversation with him about how much he influenced my Art work in High School. I mentioned I went to school at Wichita East and I sent him a couple of my pictures , one of which he sent back with a positive note to continue the drawing ( I told him to keep one). Naive , I know, but he genuinely said he remembered the pictures and he was sure he still had my old copy. Don't really know if he actually remembered or not, but his genuine kindness and his interest in talking to me , transported me back to my childhood days. He was a class act, a gearhead Icon, and he will be missed for all the joy he spread with his art. Jay Leno was right that his funeral procession will pass at 125mph - but, that will just be for the 1/4 mile!