For those with lifts...

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now that I have my lift I have a couple questions. What does everyone do for insurance? What I mean is, the top car I don't plan on driving except around the block once a month to keep everything fresh. Do you still keep full coverage on it. What about the bottom car? Will policy be null & void if there were to be an accident (i know this will be up to my insurance company but just seeing what everyone else does)? My carrier in State Farm. Any feedback will be great!

DylanGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have my viper insured through state farm and have a policy where I drive less than 7,500 miles annually. Total cost is approx $50/mth for $500 deductable full coverage. Not too bad considering I'm a single 25yo male.

OppositeLock

VCA Member
Reaction score
The autos on my lift are covered by a collector's policy so full collision and comprehensive coverage is annual regardless of driving or storage. Previously I would take off collision leaving comp in force during the "storage" period. Then I would drop my agent a line when a car was going out to put full coverage back on for the actual dates of use. Double check with State Farm as there are various opinions to the coverage needed (collision & comp v. comp only) for the top car in storage on the lift in case of catastrophic failure.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no need for full coverage unless a toronado knocks on your front door, like rollin the dice..

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have had only comprehensive on a "stored/unused" vehicle. My insurance allowed me a infrequent evaluation, say once a month, to keep it charged and running properly. If I planned to do more I would turn on full coverage when needed.

As for the top vehicle aspect I had never thought of it or discussed it. I assume (maybe that is a bad thing) that between household insurance and comprehensive that vehicle is fully covered in the case of an unusual event. The only thing I can think of that may not be covered is if in driving it on/off the lift the vehicle creates the event causing damage. I take that risk.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I maintain full coverage 24X7X365...and the lifts are part of the reason. I have a faint recollection of a post about the car on the lift being considered "moving"...food for thought before a "happening".

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now that I have my lift I have a couple questions. What does everyone do for insurance? What I mean is, the top car I don't plan on driving except around the block once a month to keep everything fresh. Do you still keep full coverage on it. What about the bottom car? Will policy be null & void if there were to be an accident (i know this will be up to my insurance company but just seeing what everyone else does)? My carrier in State Farm. Any feedback will be great!

So, which of your 2 Sapphires is becoming the garage queen? Don't tell me it's that brutally fast ACR of yours;)

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted on this in another thread before, but if you have Allstate here's what I found out last fall (just installed a lift and this was first year of storage with it). I had my agent call an adjuster for clarification, so it was much more than just an agent's 'opinion'.

Normally I only carry comp during storage, but in the event of a lift failure (for any reason), the homeowner's policy covers the lift (personal property), comp covers the car on the bottom, but the top car MUST have collision on it, as it is a moving object! Homeowner's almost never cover anything automotive as they're specifically excluded. I ended up putting my wife's car on the top as the collision was cheaper on hers. I know, I know - stupid insurance rules, but couldn't argue.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 will be the garage queen this summer. The ACR is great. I must admit though I am going to miss the wind in the hair feeling of my RT but I really do enjoy that ACR. Cabin heat will be an adjustment as well. Already put about 300 miles on her. :D
So, which of your 2 Sapphires is becoming the garage queen? Don't tell me it's that brutally fast ACR of yours;)

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I am going to double check with my agent for sure. I have just left full coverage on just in case for now.
I posted on this in another thread before, but if you have Allstate here's what I found out last fall (just installed a lift and this was first year of storage with it). I had my agent call an adjuster for clarification, so it was much more than just an agent's 'opinion'.

Normally I only carry comp during storage, but in the event of a lift failure (for any reason), the homeowner's policy covers the lift (personal property), comp covers the car on the bottom, but the top car MUST have collision on it, as it is a moving object! Homeowner's almost never cover anything automotive as they're specifically excluded. I ended up putting my wife's car on the top as the collision was cheaper on hers. I know, I know - stupid insurance rules, but couldn't argue.