FREAKY paint bubbles ... right out of X-Files (pics)

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a post yesterday about these paint bubbles on my passenger side door. original post Well, today it got really strange. It seems like there is a white discharge coming out of the bubbles. I noticed them yesterday, but assumed it was just dirt from the road as I had just driven the car. I washed it off. Since then the car has not moved and the white spots were back this morning. Each spot is on top of a bubble, and nowhere else on the car.

This is very freaky. I've searched the other posts and no mention of this. What the hell is going on with my car?

7460DSC03797-med.JPG

7460DSC03796-med.JPG

7460DSC03795-med.JPG

Sorry the pics aren't so good, i took them with a camera phone.

Bill

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the hell is going on with my car?
It's aging in a quite ugly way.

Jokes apart, I've never seen that in any other Viper or read a post describing this. 2 questions: Is this a repaint? Any signs of vandalism?

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 questions: Is this a repaint? Any signs of vandalism?

No, it's not a repaint. the only panels affected are the passanger door, and the black passanger door sill, the rest of the car is perfect. I don't think it's vandalism. It's isolated to these panels only, from end to end, with not a single bubble anywhere else.

Bill

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like your car has hit puberty. These are awkward times for the Viper.

It seems like there is a white discharge coming out of the bubbles.

Then again, these symptoms sound a little more severe.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had those on my silver 99. All over the drivers door and left 1/4 panel, but they weren't THAT bad. You had to look close to see them. Maybe with more time, that's what it turned into? I only kept the car about a year. I knew it was an original defect from the plant, just didn't think it needed fixing. Kinda like some kind of contamnination in the spray equipment used on those two parts.

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had those on my silver 99. All over the drivers door and left 1/4 panel, but they weren't THAT bad. You had to look close to see them.

That's how mine were also, until yesterday.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope it's not a 2000 Steel Grey GTS thing :)

Is it the paint or clear coat?
Was it out in the sun or near some heat?

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just so happens that we have a car in the shop, same color and same year, with these bubbles forming on the driver side door. The bubbles just recently started to appear on this car and the paint has never been touched.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both the affected cars seem to be in the sunshine state (i know that's a misnomer) but is this parked outdoors in the heat a lot. It still does not explain why just the door is affected.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've seen it before its nothing new, normally its just a few bubbles though, do a search lots of info will pop up

think the cure is stripping the panels back to the resin, sanding it down leaving it to dry for a few weeks before re-painting

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a drag! I too would have guessed that it was the outgassing of the panels underneath, but cannot understand how it is happening to the pass. door, and pass. door sill.

If it was two body colored parts, it would make more sense to me.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of wax are you using and how often? Maybe the wax isn't letting the paint breath. But i'm just guessing

Mines is a garage.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused: Bill

I have a 2001 Sapphire Blue RT/10, and I had Dodge repaint my hood for the very same thing you have going on. It was on both sides about a foot behind the louvered vents. They tried buffing them out first, but they came back in about a month. Then they had to sand down to the resin and let it gas out or dry for a few days, then the repainted it. It seems to be fine now alomost 2 years later??? I just wish I did not have them repaint the front facia while they were at it, because they did not put in enough rubbery stuff, so I have all kinds of chip marks on my front facia. I guess next time I should repaint the front, and put that clear stuff over it.

Dennis Kimball

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to DC. They opened a file on it and said to take it to the local dealer for inspection. They haven't agreed to fix it, just look at it.

I will be taking it to Potamkin Dodge tommorow. Hopefully, they agree to fix it.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How often does this happen? Is it an isolated incident? Let us know how you make out with getting it fixed.

I am having a similiar problem with my MB, I got a few rust bubbles around the moon roof and Classic Coach (a very well respected body shop in my area that is known for repainting Ferrari's after they come off the boat with damage, Ferrari has since changed where the cars come in so they recently lost that contract) repainted it going on #3 and it keeps having solvent pop and getting dull with pin holes where it was repaired.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 has a little crop of similar pimples low down on the drivers door and nowhere else, they just stay the same and dont ooze ! But I did have a 911 painted years ago. An excellent paintjob, but within a year the car was a mess of pimples on every upward facing surface. They would increase and lessen according to the weather. I assumed that the problem was down to incorrect preparation or condensation whilst the paint was being applied. Sold the car before I had to deal with the problem.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but my car has the same thing going on on my driver's door only. You have to look close to see them, but they are there. It is another steel gray car in Florida. :(

I will be curious to see what Dodge says and does about this problem.

Keep us posted.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I thought it was just us redheads with the bubbling paint, especially '97 and '98. You would have thought they could have improved the painting process, it was a known issue for years.

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI I have a steel grey 2000 ACR and the finish is perfect. Is this problem limited to that color?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen it on other members cars, a 97 blue and a 99 red, luckily none on my steel as yet, so it has nothing to do with paint color or year of manufacture...

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, say it isn't so! You detail the hell out of that car.
Could it have anything to do with the wax or the amount built up on the surface?

I’ve had none show up an my beauty but you guy are starting to freak me out :-(

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but my car has the same thing going on on my driver's door only. You have to look close to see them, but they are there. It is another steel gray car in Florida.

The factory must have mixed up our doors. You must have my passannger side door, and I have yours. Why don't we trade back, this way only one of us has problems.

Bill

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a wax issue. Only the door is affected, and I use the same wax on the whole car. Plus it's also on the door sills, which I never wax, and are not exposed to the sun. I think it has to do with humidity.

I took it to the dealer. The service manager looked at it. He has to get approval. I should know next week if it's covered. I will post as soon as I get an answer.

Bill

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep in mind that our cars were not painted as a complete car, rather pre-painted parts then assembled. It would be very possible to have only 1 part of the car having problems. Venture to say an outgass from the resin or moisture in the paint. My 97' had no signs of blisters on any part when I stripped it down to primer. This paint was near impossible to strip. Hopefully warranty will cover it.